PDA

View Full Version : Buying spikes ar... Quick questions

DP1035
06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
This will be my first ar, had a couple quick questions...

The bayonet lug, do I leave it on or remove it and what is it used for?

Add on Samson rear sight or leave the carry handle?

Next, per their website, what seems to be the difference between the complete st-15 and the mid length st-15??

I appreciate all answers and advice as well. Thank you.

dieselpower
06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
This will be my first ar, had a couple quick questions...

The bayonet lug, do I leave it on or remove it and what is it used for? its like boobs on a man...they have no real function. legal to have.

Add on Samson rear sight or leave the carry handle? Flat tops are better than A2 fixed carry handles, but a BUIS is needed. A detachable carry handle is solid, but takes up room. The small BUIS can sit behind your scope or optic most of the time.

Next, per their website, what seems to be the difference between the complete st-15 and the mid length st-15?? ST-15 has a carbine gas system, the Mid-length either refers to a 18" barrel or mid length gas system which means the gas port is 2" farther down on the 16" barrel. making the gas pressure a bit less and a bit more stable.

I appreciate all answers and advice as well. Thank you.

any of the choices from Spikes is fine. research more on the terms and uses of what you are getting BEFORE you buy. I am talking about mid-length gas/barrel and carbine systems.

wash
06-02-2011, 2:09 PM
A bayonet lug is useful for attaching a bayonet. Also there are some accessory rails and things that can use the lug.

I think some states back east still have "assault weapon" bans like the expired federal ban of 1994 so bayonet lugs are illegal on some rifles. Bayonet lugs are not illegal here so get it if you want (I say it's always better to have and not need but it's entirely up to you).

The gas port on a carbine length gas system is a bit too far back on a 14.5" barrel, when you go to 16" it is quite a bit too far back and the action ends up over gassed unless they make the gas port tiny which has it's own side effects. Mid length has the gas port farther out toward the muzzle. That means your front sight is out farther and your handguards are longer (unless you do some type of free float hand guard). On a 16" barrel midlength is a very good option but some people go with carbine length if they think it looks better or they have some other reason.

I have two 16" AR uppers, they are both mid-length and both run really nice.

A friend of mine has a 16" with carbine gas and it works fine too.

dieselpower
06-02-2011, 2:36 PM
Wash... ever try attaching a bayonet to a 16" carbine (not a M4?) How about a mid-gas?

I hear it doesnt work so good. there are bi-pods and stuff that use the lug, but those are rare and non-stanard.

m98
06-02-2011, 2:40 PM
My spikes m4le carbine upper does fine as well

DP1035
06-02-2011, 3:35 PM
I think the mid length with the samson rear sight is where im going , ill get good with the iron sights first then add optics later, you guys know everything here!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

21SF
06-02-2011, 3:47 PM
I have the Spikes M4 LE , 16" carbine length and it runs like a beast with anything i throw at it. Loves 24 gr varget and 77 gr projectiles.

justin15w
06-02-2011, 5:26 PM
I have the Spikes M4 LE , 16" carbine length and it runs like a beast with anything i throw at it. Loves 24 gr varget and 77 gr projectiles.

I have the Spikes Mid-Length LE, 16", and it too runs everything I have thrown at it, without a hiccup.

Wolf, Brown and Silver Bear, 45gr varmint ammo, 75gr TAP, PMC Bronze and X-Tac, XM193, M855

wash
06-02-2011, 5:27 PM
Wash... ever try attaching a bayonet to a 16" carbine (not a M4?) How about a mid-gas?

I hear it doesnt work so good. there are bi-pods and stuff that use the lug, but those are rare and non-stanard.
I think mid length 16"'might work with a bayonet but I see your point.

What I see in a gas block with the bayonet lug shaved off is a remnant of the 1994 "assault weapon" ban.

The first AR upper I bought was a "post ban" Colt that I got cheap. It had no barrel threads and no bayonet lug. It shoots well and has been reliable but every time I see the gas block it reminds me of ten bad years under the ban.

That is enough reason for me to want a bayonet lug on all my guns.

DP1035
06-02-2011, 7:47 PM
Thanks for the response guys, think my order will be going in today

alpine600
06-02-2011, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the response guys, think my order will be going in today

Be prepared to wait...

....awhile:sleeping:

Vinrx7
06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Be prepared to wait...

....awhile:sleeping:

Haaaaaaa! To say the least. Your best bet is to find a place that has it in stock, If your really set on getting a spikes.

DP1035
06-02-2011, 11:42 PM
whats their approx ship time these days??

m98
06-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Yep. Spikes uppers goes fast. If you see and like buy it right then. Dont wait

bluebird
06-03-2011, 12:29 AM
whats their approx ship time these days??

On the website it says 6-8 weeks and it's been a while like that. But they also have a notice that there won't be any confirmed wait time because they are so behind in production.

m98
06-03-2011, 9:59 AM
You should check out all of the fun shops in and around your location to see if they have any spikes upper in store. This was what i had to do to get mines.

DP1035
06-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for that suggestion, went to a local shop, they have spikes lowers coming in so im going to order through them, they will build it with a dpms lower kit and magpul stock, I told him id like a mid length upper so hes going to have to check around for me to see what he can get for me, I could go with a regular non mid length 1:9 twist barrel but I was trying to stay as much mil spec as possible, any reason why I shouldn't? Also emailed spikes to cancel the order..

dieselpower
06-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for that suggestion, went to a local shop, they have spikes lowers coming in so im going to order through them, they will build it with a dpms lower kit and magpul stock, I told him id like a mid length upper so hes going to have to check around for me to see what he can get for me, I could go with a regular non mid length 1:9 twist barrel but I was trying to stay as much mil spec as possible, any reason why I shouldn't? Also emailed spikes to cancel the order..

You can not get a true mil-spec so why try. Its a sales pitch. don't fall for that trap. Mil-specs do not have to comply with the BATFE 16" barrel length, so all this talk about mil-spec is BS on so many levels its not even funny. Its like buying a H2 and paining it desert camo...:rolleyes: Don't fall for those sales gimmicks.

People need to stop thinking mil-spec is the best. its just the best when you have to equip 100,000 guys and service those same 100,000 guys. You are not one of those guys.

Take advantage of the true benefit of the AR15 platform..customization and modularization.

BTW, who told you a mid length was mil-spec? Its not.

DP1035
06-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Actually no one, I was piecing together info, I was looking for a 1:7 mid length , from what I've been reading, its more stable when shooting and the bullets can go a little further for any long distance shooting, please educate me if I'm wrong, mainly looking for an upper that can be versatile for cqc, varmint hunting, and possibly long distance target shooting

dieselpower
06-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Actually no one, I was piecing together info, I was looking for a 1:7 mid length , from what I've been reading, its more stable when shooting and the bullets can go a little further for any long distance shooting, please educate me if I'm wrong, mainly looking for an upper that can be versatile for cqc, varmint hunting, and possibly long distance target shooting

The length termed mid length sometimes means gas system and sometimes means barrel length of 18", so you need to specify which you mean.

a mid length 18" will have a mid length gas system meaning its a longer distance from the chamber to the gas port than a carbine, but less than a Rifle.

The 18" does gain a few more feet, but nothing to write home about without a 1:8 twist to go along with that. If you are going 1:7 out of a 16"+ muzzle device, then 1:9 will do tha same. Under 200ish meters there is little to care about.

If you are going to do some AT&T hunting with 5.56 then I would go with the 1:7 and 69gr or more ammo. You need a scope the same cost as the rifle too.

The mid gas system can be on either a carbine 14.5+muzzle barrel or a 16"+muzzle barrel or a 18"+muzzle barrel without too many issues. The chamber to port length is within proper timing of the gas tube/chamber pressure and the port to muzzle length is within mil-spec on the port diameter. an 18" length with a mid gas can get picky on ammo as seen with several threads dealing with failure to lock back on these set ups. Its normally traced to weak ammo, cheap ammo or the user setting it up with a heavy buffer/ FA BCG ? extra power buffer spring...that kind of thing.

If you are looking for both AT&T accuracy, and close range fragmentation out of one upper I'd look at making sure the barrel gets a proper free floating, medcon profile, skip that M4 or LW stuff and get a 16"+MD in mid gas

DP1035
06-04-2011, 1:34 PM
You are of useful knowledge thanks for the post

CK_32
06-04-2011, 1:46 PM
bayonet lug just leave it..

for the site i love carry handle.. If you dont want it give it to me. Ill take it any day of the week.

And for the difference one is a carbine "shorter hand guard" and a mid length longer hand guard.

Mid
http://www.blackhand.com/ar15/ar_left_buis_up_lq.jpg

Carb
http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/7224133933/8922458/6920-2.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Dreaded Claymore
06-04-2011, 2:45 PM
If you are going to do some AT&T hunting with 5.56 then I would go with the 1:7 and 69gr or more ammo. You need a scope the same cost as the rifle too.

What's AT&T? I take it you aren't talking about the phone company?

dieselpower
06-04-2011, 2:50 PM
What's AT&T? I take it you aren't talking about the phone company?

AT&T...long distance... motto, "reach out and touch someone"....:eek::D

m98
06-04-2011, 6:10 PM
AT&T...long distance... motto, "reach out and touch someone"....:eek::D

At&t..... Thats new in my book :rofl:

DP1035
06-04-2011, 8:59 PM
Well now that my lower is picked out, I'm trying to find a quality mid length upper at a good price, id love a daniel defense but they are a little out of my price range, what other brands should I be checking into at the 500-700 price range, and that are readily available.. Hows rock river arms? Or cmmg, bravo company, thanks again for all the answers and knowledge everyone