PDA

View Full Version : best optic for under 100 for ar?

motogunner356
06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
so ive got most of my build decided on. i also want an optic who knows of a good one for under 100

shadow65
06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't go to war with it but Primary Arms has tested, decent, and inexpensive optics plus great customer service.
I put an Aimpoint clone from him on an AR and have had no issues.
The dot actually looks crisper than my real Aimpoint.
Dave N

Ian
06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
for under 100...factory iron sights that came with your upper receiver if any...

Uxi
06-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't go to war with it but Primary Arms has tested, decent, and inexpensive optics plus great customer service.

The M3 clone? I was considering their Micro-Dot for my SU-16

dieselpower
06-02-2011, 10:46 AM
for under 100...factory iron sights that came with your upper receiver if any...

I am agreeing with this logic... from 0 to 250 meters (old eyes :D )

you can rely on a good detachable carry handle for $75 over any optic for the same price.

The PA optics are ok for plinking at best. The better PAs are over $100.

If you want something reliable for close work, get a laser. It looks a little mall ninja-ish but I hear these are good on a 6 O'clock rail light/laser combo (http://combatoptical.com/catalog/QD-3w-140-lumen-LED-Flashlight-5mw-red-laser-sight-combo-305.html), no experience myself.

OutkastSL
06-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I currently run the Primary Arms M3 clone and it works great. I have terrible eyes. I'll only do iron sights up to 50 yards.

UserM4
06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
If you have an FSB, I'd invest in a Troy rear BUIS and then save up for a quality optic.

pyro3k2
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
so ive got most of my build decided on. i also want an optic who knows of a good one for under 100

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=593456

Bluhdow!
06-02-2011, 10:56 AM
^ +1

JayBeeJay
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM
If you have an FSB, I'd invest in a Troy rear BUIS and then save up for a quality optic.

+1...get good with using just your irons and save for a quality optic. In my experience in this hobby, you get what tou pay for.

CSACANNONEER
06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
The best optics for what?????? Any advise you have gotten so far is from those who have assumed a lot. All I know so far is that you want some sort of optics for an AR platform. So, now can you provide caliber, distances you are planning on shooting, type of shooting that you want to do, what you expect optics to do for you, etc.

If you are just talking about hitting steel up to 500 or 600 yards with a .223/5.56, I strongly suggest learning how to use irons first. There really isn't a need for optics while plinking at reasonably close ranges up to 600 yards. Now, if you are planning on some sort of competitions, your choices will be dictated by the type of competitions that you want to shoot. If you just want optics because you want your rifle to be heavier and look tacticool, get whatever looks coolest to you.

When it comes to optics, the general rule of thumb is to spend the LEAST amount possible on a rifle that will shoot to your standards and then, spend the most that you can on quality optic. Yea, this can mean putting a +$3000 optic on a $200 rifle and, that's not always a dumb thing to do. OTOH, putting low priced optics on a quality rifle will ultimately lower the capabilities of the rifle.

Have fun making a decision on which cheap optics to use.

HK Dave
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Good set of Iron sights... if you MUST have an "optic" for under $100, your only choice is Primary Arms.

762.DEFENSE
06-02-2011, 3:35 PM
My suggestion, work some OT or save up a bit more...because a $100 won't buy you any quality AR optic in my book. The lowest I'd go is a Vortex Strike Force for $150. That's only because Vortex has amazing CS, Warranty and T/A.

motogunner356
06-02-2011, 3:42 PM
im in the army right now and using irons isnt an issue. 300 is easy (though the tiny 75yd ones where i have to compensate are trouble)

just looking for a scope up to 4x power for practice

Blade
06-02-2011, 4:18 PM
If your not going to war and you don't have money to spare then a $100 optic is fine. Primary arms or the Bushnell TRS-25 are a great value for plinking until you can save enough for an Aimpoint, EOtech or whatever. I would'nt go below $100 though as I've seen so many people complain about cheap red dots and end up buying something better. As the saying goes, "Buy once, cry once".

magic32
06-02-2011, 4:26 PM
Good plinking value primary arms m3. I've run it pretty hard and it's done well. Spent a day in the desert, put 500 rounds in one day and maintained zero. Not bad for a $99 red dot. Still going to get an aimpoint. Higher quality but PA red dot 

ejhc11
06-02-2011, 5:00 PM
Dave N

For us with vision gettin poorer, near and far and diminishing light gathering capabilities - the irons are gettin hard to see clearly. I have PA M4 and its been working really well - I put the dot on target and shoot.

My 10 year old son was hitting 200yd steel plates easily using the PA red dot and that was from his second shot on using a centerfire rifle for the first time.