PDA

View Full Version : What are the guns you should buy now, to not have regrets later?

CalGunsNoob
12-13-2006, 1:21 PM
That other thread on what guns people regret not buying has me thinking...

What are the guns you feel we should be buying today such that we don't have regrets later?

What do you think are the deals today? What do you think will increase in value and become less available?

FatKatMatt
12-13-2006, 1:25 PM
Get some semi autos, you never know when the Demoncrats are going to try and ban them.

jumbopanda
12-13-2006, 1:33 PM
Well if you're interested in building AKs at all, pick up some parts kits before they start to vanish like the AMDs did over the past few years.

I'd also get some milsurp handguns, although I really don't know if they will vanish anytime soon.

rkt88edmo
12-13-2006, 1:41 PM
What do you think are the deals today? What do you think will increase in value and become less available?

Mauser's, garands, SKSs, other milsurps.

But the question is, do you really want one in the first place?

Ubergeek
12-13-2006, 1:55 PM
Things I'm pretty confident will appreciate:

CMP Garands - I think the CMP will probably sell the last of them in the next 18-24 months (in earnest this time). Rack, field, service grade - doesn't matter.

Swiss K31s - inexpensive and extremely well made. So long as the Swiss don't sign on with th UN small arms agreement, we can probably look forward to some GP11 coming stateside.

Any off-list AR, AK, FAL, etc. variant. I'm willing to bet that we will see a repeat of the 1994 'Crime Bill' in the near future.

Just about any gun - gun control legislation seems to only go in one direction. Buy it today because it'll likely get a lot tougher (if not impossible) for you to buy it later.

TonyNorCal
12-13-2006, 2:03 PM
Uber and some of the other guys above took the words right off my keyboard:p .

~CMP Garands. Once the CMP is sold out all USGI Garands will command a premium and people will regret not spending $425 on a Field Grade 'back in 2006'.

~M1 Carbines that are bought at decent prices. People have a fondness for US Military Arms...and several ammo manufacturers produce ammo...I'd say any decent USGI M1 carbine for under $550-600 is worth getting.

~ K-31s...they've already gone from 79 bucks last year to 150ish.

~Parts kits: Romy AK parts kits, FAL parts kits (I've read the IMBEL kits are drying up).

~If you're worried about the possibility of a ban 2 or 3 years down the road you can always pick up a few inexpensive receivers...a few 99 bucks Stags, a few NoDak AKs and just stash them in the back of your closet. Granted you'd still need parts to make it a gun...but the receiver is the controlled part so it can 'represent' a future gun for you.

daskraut
12-13-2006, 4:38 PM
M1 garands, M1A springfields, M1 carbines (I gotta get one..) , an SKS, and for those of you/us not building stuff for what ever reason, maybe grab one of those FAL's that are cal legal. I held one at turners and got wood!, nice gun.

grammaton76
12-13-2006, 5:02 PM
{ribbing}Ok, Allison, here's the list of guns you might oughtta scrutinize for the last-minute ban...{/ribbing}

Seriously, you (calgunsnoob) happen to have had the honor of starting a thread that Allison referenced in her email to the Brady Bunch. As to whether you're her, or just some random person that she liked reading, I don't really care... I just find it amusing seeing this coming up late in the year like this.

Anyway, there's plenty of things that CAN be rendered CA-legal.

The FN PS90, for example, is CA legal in a disassembled state, but not assembled. Of course, if they're listed, there's a fair number of Californians who DO have them (presumably disassembled), and they'll all be happy to assemble them AFTER registration. ;) I'm not telling anyone how to get ahold of one, make your own inquiries. You have TWO WEEKS. :)

Really, the only thing I might regret not having would be an M1 Garand, and those aren't likely to be going anywhere by Jan 1st...

Thundercleese
12-13-2006, 5:37 PM
Hmm.... I remember seeing somewhere that there are vendors that make Kali-Kompliance kits for the PS90... I wonder if anyone has gone this route yet.

For me, the ones that I should have include the following:

AR-15: Stag 5.56 and Stag 6.8 lowers. Lots made, lots sold in Kali during the rush after Thanksgiving 2005, and if there's a lower that will make it on a list for the banning of future sales this will probably be on the top of that list. Of course, there's the LAR-15, various Mega, CMMG, Lauer / LCW-15 recievers and so many others that are candidates that I can't remember off hand.

AK-series: Friends chide me for not getting onto the AK bandwagon, and they keep on reminding me of Nodak Spud recievers. Romys, Yugos... Others here can chip in on that, but definitely, at least one or two AKs should be on your list.

Others: PTR-91 (NOT_A_G3), I mean come on, it's a .308 designed by those crazy Germans. Nice system, fires well, and easy to care for from what I've see. If you're on a (NOT_AN_H&K) fix, there's also the Bobcat BW-5 (NOT_A_MP-5), Vector V-51 (NOT_A_MP-5_IN_.308). The Israelli Gaelli, long-barreled UZIs, FN FAL.... Aaaagggghhhh, too many wierd, but cool firearms to remember!

Every American should have a prior-service M1, however. Even the gun-hating lefties. Carbine, Garand, I don't care. Come 2008 you'll be whining when you can't get (read: afford) one however since CMP's stocks are apparently drying up.

Pistols... Uh, I'll have to defer on them on as I'm mainly a rifle / shotgun guy.

Speaking of shotguns.... :D Everyone must own at least one Mossberg shotgun. Wether it be the über cool Mossberg 500 Bullpup or the can't_kill_the_damn_thing Mossberg 590 Persuader in a folding stock config. Beat some blue helmet zombie over the head and it asks for more! Oh, if you don't like Mossberg, the Remintgon 870 is an OK standby.

SemiAutoSam
12-13-2006, 5:43 PM
I say get as Many Rifles Hand guns, Parts, Ammo ect as you can afford to as its only going to get more expensive and more regulated this isn't 1970 after all. Act like Hillary is in the Big House now and get to buyin.

pnkssbtz
12-13-2006, 6:08 PM
{ribbing}Ok, Allison, here's the list of guns you might oughtta scrutinize for the last-minute ban...{/ribbing}

Seriously, you (calgunsnoob) happen to have had the honor of starting a thread that Allison referenced in her email to the Brady Bunch. As to whether you're her, or just some random person that she liked reading, I don't really care... I just find it amusing seeing this coming up late in the year like this.

Wow, I am suddenly disheartened...

I stopped by the brady website just to see if I could find a link that you spoke of, and I was taken back by the ignorance and F.U.D. (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

So, why don't we stop doing their work for them. It is clear that they are watching this site, and until grammaton76 pointed it out, I didn't realize how sensitive and circumspect we had to be else they legislate new laws to inhibit our freedoms.

Thundercleese
12-13-2006, 8:46 PM
Welcome to the real world on the Internet. It's not really been a tightly guarded secret that the CA DoJ has been 'monitoring' this site for some time now. To have thought otherwise would have been, dare I say, foolish. This site is pretty close to the primary source for information on California gun information, whether it be batner back and forth about the legality of SB23 or other 'limiting' laws or whether it's a couple people ragchewing about whether the Remy 870 or the Mossy 590 is the better shotgun.

This forum will attract attention from those that others believe are of the 'other side'. It's like any other online media presence. It comes with the territory.

Here's the red pill, open your mind and welcome to the real world. Just keep it legal. ^_^

My statements from earlier still stand, though. I did find that PS90 compliance kit, however. That would make one beautiful tactical short-to-medium range rifle.

Outlaw Josey Wales
12-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Wow, I am suddenly disheartened...

It is clear that they are watching this site, and until grammaton76 pointed it out, I didn't realize how sensitive and circumspect we had to be else they legislate new laws to inhibit our freedoms.

Eventually the right to remain silent will be all that's left to the honest citizens of this wicked state!

CalGunsNoob
12-14-2006, 11:48 AM

LOL, I'm not familiar with a thread of mine making it into her email. Do share.

And, I'd venture to guess that odds are most here would prefer to see Allison in her jogging shorts than my hairy legs in mine

DrjonesUSA
12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Anything semi-automatic.

Buy Glocks, 1911s and any semi-auto rifle you can like M1As, HK clones, OLLs, etc.

Don't waste your time or money right now in CA on bolt-action rifles or revolvers.

Those will be the last ones subject to legislation.

grammaton76
12-14-2006, 11:28 PM
LOL, I'm not familiar with a thread of mine making it into her email. Do share.

Sure... it's in the file down below; page 104.

http://calgunlaws.com/Docs/ASSAULT%20WEAPONS/Cal%20Regulations/NRA-DOJLetter061121-2of2.PDF

The link in question, was http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=33533

Like I say, I'm not saying you're Allison or whatnot, but I thought it was amusing that she cited your thread, and then this came up... :)

And, I'd venture to guess that odds are most here would prefer to see Allison in her jogging shorts than my hairy legs in mine

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer not to see that. Actually I'd prefer not to see either, as I have no idea what she looks like.

cseabass
12-15-2006, 3:18 AM
i want to get a five seven.

maybe an AK varient, a FAL, and a socom16/m1a scout.

other than that, i really want a mossberg maverick bullpup and an FS2000.

i also reallly want a neostead 2000 but i doubt the batfe will ever let one in.

Madrich
12-15-2006, 12:39 PM
i want to get a five seven.

maybe an AK varient, a FAL, and a socom16/m1a scout.

other than that, i really want a mossberg maverick bullpup and an FS2000.

i also reallly want a neostead 2000 but i doubt the batfe will ever let one in.
I saw a 5.7 at Ade's for about $800, it was nice!
+1 on the FS2000, but if I could I would take the SCAR H or L.

jumbopanda
12-15-2006, 1:34 PM
Milsurps are always good. Also remember that since September of last year, barrels cannot be imported with parts kits (AK, FAL, G3, etc.) anymore. So get some before they dry up.

cseabass
12-15-2006, 3:24 PM
I saw a 5.7 at Ade's for about $800, it was nice!
+1 on the FS2000, but if I could I would take the SCAR H or L.

i have a 5-7 availible to me for 800, but i am on my 30day wait and i need 800 bux:p