PDA

View Full Version : ar piston upper

motogunner356
06-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Who makes a relatively inexpensive piston upper? or would i be better off buying an upper and a conversion kit?

Droppin Deuces
06-02-2011, 12:21 AM
The Adams Arms basic uppers are pretty inexpensive(at about $600) compared to other brands and perform great.

SinisterBud
06-02-2011, 2:34 AM
CMMG makes a nice piston upper for about 650$ i was going to buy one until i bought my 8h stag piston upper but only because it came with sights.

sephy
06-02-2011, 2:38 AM
http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1547&idcategory=137 I loved mine.

2Bear
06-02-2011, 2:58 AM
I love the RRA LAR-PDS designs, price be damned...

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/rpds_car11.gif

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/rpds11.gif

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=442

sonnyt650
06-02-2011, 7:01 AM
For a while there around the end of last year you could buy a $200 Ares carbine piston conversion from Rainier Arms -- maybe you can find someone who wants to sell theirs? Otherwise the complete uppers are the way to go as far as cost since you don't have an upper already.

goodlookin1
06-02-2011, 7:14 AM
Spikes is doing an Adams Arms kit for cheap.....but they may be sold out.

sonnyt650
06-02-2011, 8:14 AM
I did a search for the ARES kit and found a post on arfcom with the most recent manufacturer rep post dated 5/20/2011. The first post indicates they are selling direct for $200, so the sale at Rainier Arms wasn't really.

Redchevyman
06-02-2011, 8:18 AM
I have the TNW gas piston kits on clearance for $200 on my web site, They were originally $300 last year.

rcschummers
06-02-2011, 8:54 AM
I have a cmmg piston upper and it is awsome. I have thousands of rounds through it and recently serviced it out of paranoia, didn't really need to.

motogunner356
06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
thanks for the input. that RRA is awesome but im tryin to keep the overall cost around 1000 to start. ill check out the other options though thanks

mlevans66
06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
The Adams is pretty gangsta. You lookin for carbine or middy?

Don29palms
06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
You can get an Adams Arms kit from Rainier Arms for $279. Mine works flawlessly. Or look at JSE Surplus. Adams Arms complete upper $589. CLICK HERE! (http://www.jsesurplus.com/16carbinegaspiston556upperwadamsarmscarbineconvers ioninstalled.aspx)

rareair
06-02-2011, 3:57 PM
Spikes is doing an Adams Arms kit for cheap.....but they may be sold out.

Not sold out........more like discontinued

rareair
06-02-2011, 4:06 PM
Check out www.m4store.net their prices and selection are hard to beat.

tacticalcity
06-02-2011, 4:12 PM
CMMG makes a nice piston upper for about 650$ i was going to buy one until i bought my 8h stag piston upper but only because it came with sights.

+1. I like CMMG products. Both my AR rifles contain CMMG parts. One has a CMMG Upper. The other had a CMMG Barrel, gas system, lower parts kit, and many other items.

Blade
06-02-2011, 5:28 PM
I'd get the complete piston upper over a conversion kit. This way you know its all compatible for sure. For less than $1000 you can get the Addax Tactical piston upper middy and have some change for ammo. I've heard good things about the Adams Arms and CMMG piston upper as well, all for under $1000. One thing to consider is the flex rod vs the solid rod configuration of the piston.

supersonic
06-02-2011, 7:36 PM
The Adams is pretty gangsta. You lookin for carbine or middy?

Oh, geeez........again??......Really????:rolleyes:

cmace22
06-02-2011, 7:39 PM

Its better than his constant use of "killa"

Addax
PWS
Adams Arms

Would all have my vote based on me wanting one which means absolutely nothing lol.

I may get a laugh from you guys on this one but has anyone used the Osprey 416 kit?

Kinda like the idea of being able to convert back to DI if needs or wants arise.

Droppin Deuces
06-02-2011, 9:32 PM

You actually let that **** bother you?

That bothers you, but all of the optics questions in the centerfire section don't? I'm curious about how the thread(in the centerfire section) about where to get foam for Pelican cases makes you feel.

supersonic
06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Its better than his constant use of "killa"

Yeah, true. That one's become the butt of many jokes here on CGN.:p

You actually let that **** bother you?

That bothers you, but all of the optics questions in the centerfire section don't? I'm curious about how the thread(in the centerfire section) about where to get foam for Pelican cases makes you feel.

Well, aren't you going to comment on the guy above that seems to be....what do you call it...."Bothered" with it as well? Why just me? Coming from someone that gives himself a CGN name that means Taking a S***, I'll just take that with a grain of doodoo.:p ....But, to answer your question, no - I wouldn't say it "bothers" me as much as it makes me cringe a bit. And, by the way, I'm FAR from the only one : There are entire threads dedicated to poking fun at his posts.;)

goodlookin1
06-03-2011, 7:16 AM
Not sold out........more like discontinued

Wow, that's weird....I could have sworn they had this under their "new" section. Now it's not even there.....

WFrom what I saw, it looked like a specially designed gas block for Spikes....it was different from the standard one in their kit. Oh well though. You can still get the same setup if you really wanted by buying one of their uppers and buying a kit separately.

rareair
06-03-2011, 2:12 PM
WFrom what I saw, it looked like a specially designed gas block for Spikes....it was different from the standard one in their kit. Oh well though. You can still get the same setup if you really wanted by buying one of their uppers and buying a kit separately.

Christiansen Arms is using the same style block for their AR rifle platforms

stormy_clothing
06-03-2011, 4:05 PM
cmmg - I'd order the mid length version personal preference but I've loved my carbine versions.

supersonic
06-03-2011, 7:27 PM
cmmg - I'd order the mid length version personal preference but I've loved my carbine versions.

I don't know squat about gas piston systems other than I have them in my AK's. (I'm a D.I.-kind-of-guy) That being said, if CMMG's kit is as good as their other gear, then it is definitely GTG. CMMG absolutely rocks in the quality department, and have really knocked the ball out of the park with their line of black rifles.