PDA

View Full Version : Carry Handle rail adapter

Baconator
06-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I am building my first AR pistol and the upper I have has an integrated carry handle. I am looking to add a rail to this gun for an eotech and have found two options. One mounts right on top of the handle and you put the optic on top, the other mounts to the top and the actual rail sits behind the carry handle allowing for co-witness. Has anyone used one or both of these?

http://www.dutygearstore.com/product_info.php/tech-carry-handle-mount-p-3730

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mounting-Arrangement-Adjustable-Cantilever/dp/B001UI3UNK

Baconator
06-02-2011, 7:45 AM
Nobody?

juan_
06-02-2011, 7:48 AM
I don't like it. I would just use irons, or buy a flat top. I am kinda new to the gun world, but I think it will be awkward heavy and it looks weird. JMO

dieselpower
06-02-2011, 8:01 AM
I had the ARMS #39+ for my EOTech, it was rock solid, but the ARMS#39+ doesn't allow you to co-witness. I think the one you linked is made to co-witness.

Most people use a goose neck rail. The top of the CH mount is extremely poor. Its just too high.

The next thing that will become apparent is when the RDS is so far away, it becomes harder to "see" past it.

A2 uppers are really best with Iron Sights only.

Baconator
06-02-2011, 8:03 AM
So without the proper tools it is kind of a pain in the *** to change the upper receiver to be a flat top right? This is a pistol, so it is hard to hold it well and use the irons with no cheek rest. I guess this is one of the limitations of an AR pistol.

dieselpower
06-02-2011, 8:06 AM
All you need is a barrel wrench and a pair of slip ring pliers to swap a barrel.

edit, and a punch for the gas tube pin.

digitalelf
06-02-2011, 9:23 AM
While it is true that the "dot" becomes bigger the farther away you are from it, I don't think you'll have too much of an issue since this is a pitol AR we are talking about...

I'd go with the rail you linked from Amazon.com and call it good...

Droppin Deuces
06-02-2011, 11:31 AM
While it is true that the "dot" becomes bigger the farther away you are from it, I don't think you'll have too much of an issue since this is a pitol AR we are talking about...

I'd go with the rail you linked from Amazon.com and call it good...

How does the dot become bigger? That's like saying a peep sight becomes smaller the closer you get.

dieselpower
06-02-2011, 11:43 AM
How does the dot become bigger? That's like saying a peep sight becomes smaller the closer you get.

I think he is referring to the MOA of the dot increasing as the distance does, and the same holds true for a laser, the dot size gets larger the farther away its projected

Droppin Deuces
06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I think he is referring to the MOA of the dot increasing as the distance does, and the same holds true for a laser, the dot size gets larger the farther away its projected

Ok, now we're making sense. Thanks.

Peter.Steele
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I've got a B-square carry handle rail adapter for my A1. Based on my experiences with that, I really can't recommend the rail adapters for the CH ... I tried everything: shims, loctite, etc. - and couldn't get the thing to stay solid in the groove on top of the CH. It just kept rattling from side to side, no matter what I did with it.

I -do- have a scope mounted on the CH, now. It's got some sort of spring-loaded clamp on the screw, which may (or may not) help keep things stabilized and steady. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. It's a cheapo POS setup from UTG, but I paid next to nothing for it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Damn eyesight isn't good enough anymore to handle the irons ... :(

digitalelf
06-02-2011, 3:15 PM

This is indeed what I meant... :)