PDA

View Full Version : First time at 1000 yards

EBR Works
06-01-2011, 8:52 PM
This past weekend I finally got out to Wes Thompson's range in Piru to hit some of their steel past 600 yards with my 24" HB DPMS/POF .308 build. I'm a regular at Angeles Range and their 600 yard and closer steel has become way too easy. The targets past 600 yards at Piru are all at increasing elevation with the 1000 yard targets near the top of the ridge at about a 14 degree angle from the firing line as measured with the iPhone. Weather was cool with about 5-10 knots of crosswind at the line. Sorry, but I did not take any photos this time since I was somewhat pressed for time having spent most of the morning giving my wife basic instruction on several home defense implements.

Using Ballistic on my iPhone I punched in all the variables of wind, altitude and pressure along with angle to the first target. The initial shot at 600 was perfectly centered on the target so I moved on to 700. After optic adjustment for this distance and slight increase in angle I took the shot. Again, right on target at about 3 o'clock with the slight left crosswind accounting for the drift. I adjusted 1/4 mil left and was centered on target on the second shot. A few more followup shots were right on.

Adjusting for 800 yards I took the shot and was rewarded with a center hit. A few more shots at this distance confirmed that the gun, ballistics software and the shooter were in the groove.

Now, out to 900 yards and the furthest I have ever shot on steel. Optic adjusted per Ballistic and I took the shot. I could see the impact high and right of the target. A slight adjustment and I sent the second round to an impact on target centered and slightly low. Third through fifth rounds were on target but the wind was starting to do it's magic with impacts at various positions on the steel.

Ok, 1000 was next. Adjusting for elevation I find that I have run out of internal adjustment on my Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 despite having a 20 MOA rail on the gun. I would assume this is partially due to the 14 degree angle to the target. First shot with a 1.5 mil hold over is high but centered. Second through fourth shots are in various locations off target and I'm thinking that this is an entirely different realm than what I am used to. Out of 10 shots taken at 1000, I had 4 hits on target. Apparently, I have more learning to do, but this was really fun. :D

For those that are curious, ammo was my handloads developed for this gun. They produce 2600fps and the 175SMK projectiles are seated .001 off the lands which makes them too long to mag feed in the AR.

Keep in mind that I have no formal long range training other than what I have learned in the past 3 years from reading, fellow shooters and much trial and error.

I'll be back at Piru very soon. I'm hooked.

EDIT: Here's a photo I found showing the 900 & 1000 yard targets:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/3d9babbd.jpg

CSACANNONEER
06-01-2011, 9:03 PM
Sounds like you had fun and FINALLY got to go to a range for yourself! Now, you need to send that Ferret50 upper back to Dave and get a 30" barrel put on it soon. Ya do know, you're missing out on the 1000 yard match at Coalinga this coming weekend, right?

Anyway, welcome to the 1000 yard club. Soon, you'll want to go out to a mile or more though.

Bigtwin
06-01-2011, 9:10 PM
Wow, sounds like you had a bunch of fun!

I am a long way off from doing that but , ONE DAY......

Timberwolf
06-01-2011, 9:16 PM
Welcome to the 1K club. You will find it adicting, frustrating, mind numbing, but most of all fun. Though I shoot mostly paper at 1K I do love it when steel is the TofO. I love seeing the trace, then the splash of the bullet striking the steel, and then hearing that rewarding ding.

Remember flags lie (especially in canyons), trust the mirage.

762.DEFENSE
06-01-2011, 9:16 PM
Wow, congrats! :thumbsup:

EBR Works
06-01-2011, 9:37 PM
Sounds like you had fun and FINALLY got to go to a range for yourself! Now, you need to send that Ferret50 upper back to Dave and get a 30" barrel put on it soon. Ya do know, you're missing out on the 1000 yard match at Coalinga this coming weekend, right?

Anyway, welcome to the 1000 yard club. Soon, you'll want to go out to a mile or more though.

The Ferret barrel is probably due for replacement soon, so that will be the plan. Working at Angeles this weekend so have fun at the match. I'm thinking .338 LM for the next project gun. There is a Savage factory day at Piru the last weekend of June with a bunch of demo guns to shoot including the 110BA in .338 LM. I plan to be there.

Welcome to the 1K club. You will find it adicting, frustrating, mind numbing, but most of all fun. Though I shoot mostly paper at 1K I do love it when steel is the TofO. I love seeing the trace, then the splash of the bullet striking the steel, and then hearing that rewarding ding.

Remember flags lie (especially in canyons), trust the mirage.

Sadly, no trace visible when I was there, but there have been days at Angeles with optimal temp/dewpoint conditions where every shot had that boiling vortex behind it. Very cool indeed.

There weren't any flags at that distance and I found the mirage difficult to read at 24x on the Bushnell. I may need an optics upgrade to NF.

Dead*Reckoned
06-01-2011, 9:51 PM
Nice job!

Piru is a great range, I've been meaning to go out there some weekend and test the waters at a 1000 with my m1...

EBR Works
06-01-2011, 9:57 PM
Mike Thompson has a Nikon Prostaff spotting scope on the right side of the range that easily resolves .30 cal hits at 1000. .223 impacts should be visible as well. My wife was an excellent spotter. :D

RugerNo1
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
There weren't any flags at that distance and I found the mirage difficult to read at 24x on the Bushnell. I may need an optics upgrade to NF.

A trick I was shown on how to see mirage the easiest was to use a spotting scope with the focus dialed out just enough to see the mirage, but still see the impacts or spotters on the target. That way I could focus on everything else when behind the rifle.

But, if you need a good excuse for a new scope...there it is! ;)

EBR Works
06-02-2011, 10:34 AM
A trick I was shown on how to see mirage the easiest was to use a spotting scope with the focus dialed out just enough to see the mirage, but still see the impacts or spotters on the target. That way I could focus on everything else when behind the rifle.

But, if you need a good excuse for a new scope...there it is! ;)

I'll try that technique next time. Thanks for the tip.

Another question for those that shoot at these distances; how much difference would the 14 degree angle to the target make in comparison to a 0 degree angle when it comes to internal MOA adjustment of the optic? What I am trying to says is, would I have had enough internal adjustment if the target had been level with the firing position? I was 10 MOA short in adjustment with the Bushnell.

Thanks.

Sheepdog1968
06-02-2011, 1:41 PM
Thanks for sharing. Furtherest I've been out is 400 yards. I want to do 1000 yards but haven't had a chance. Out of curiosity, how big is the target? What MOA are your group sizes typically. Can you hear sound when the steel is hit as that distance?

killshot44
06-02-2011, 2:24 PM
Another question for those that shoot at these distances; how much difference would the 14 degree angle to the target make in comparison to a 0 degree angle when it comes to internal MOA adjustment of the optic? What I am trying to says is, would I have had enough internal adjustment if the target had been level with the firing position? I was 10 MOA short in adjustment with the Bushnell.

Based on calculations in Bullet Flight, your 14 upward angle was actually reducing your needed elevation at 1K (by about .8moa). If you were at a zero angle it would require more elevation, not less.

A Nightforce NXS 8-32 should give you enough elevation adjustment, the 12-42 might not.

lockpicker70
06-02-2011, 2:50 PM
Killshot :

thats what I was thinking . as it is not a full arch , it should be less Angle . I have shoot with a guy that stated his hillside target was 300yrds . laser'd it & it was 267 or 277 . but it was due to the hill .

Also are they still doing the 1k matches in Coalinga ? are they the .50BMG matchs form the 90's or are the different caliber classes ? I would want to go just to watch more than compete . I suck at shooting . whats the 20 for the local up there ?

killshot44
06-02-2011, 3:31 PM
Not sure about Coalinga, CSACannoneer would be the one to ask.

Sacramento Valley hosts a few different clubs matches. Folsom Shooting club runs HighPower, Palma and F-Class matches and NCPPRC runs tactical matches, there are others that I'm not familiar with, I'm sure.
Far as I know, Sacramento has a .35 caliber maximum on the 1K range. At least for the matches I've attended, perhaps some .50 shooters can tell us more.

1K is a real experience, I learn something every time I shoot long range.

Ahhnother8
06-02-2011, 3:47 PM
Also are they still doing the 1k matches in Coalinga ? are they the .50BMG matchs form the 90's or are the different caliber classes ? I would want to go just to watch more than compete . I suck at shooting . whats the 20 for the local up there ?

http://www.coalingarifleclub.org/

There are long-range matches in October and November, then again in February and March.

EBR Works
06-02-2011, 6:53 PM
Based on calculations in Bullet Flight, your 14 upward angle was actually reducing your needed elevation at 1K (by about .8moa). If you were at a zero angle it would require more elevation, not less.

A Nightforce NXS 8-32 should give you enough elevation adjustment, the 12-42 might not.

Interesting. I was only off by 1.0 MOA not 10 MOA as stated above (forgot the period!) So I would need more internal elevation adjustment for a target level with the firing position. Didn't know that.

Eventually I'll grow up and buy a bolt gun in .308 or .338 along with a high end optic to begin the real learning process....

CSACANNONEER
06-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Killshot :

thats what I was thinking . as it is not a full arch , it should be less Angle . I have shoot with a guy that stated his hillside target was 300yrds . laser'd it & it was 267 or 277 . but it was due to the hill .

There's a FCSA match in Coalinga this weekend. If you want to come shoot a few rounds of 50BMG at 1000, shoot me a PM asap and we can work something out. If you just show up, I'll be driving a black Dodge with a canvas shell. Come find me.

When I grow up and buy a bolt gun in .308 or .338 along with a high end optic to begin the real learning process....

Me too. It's been on my short list for the last few years. I just got sidetracked with AKs, K31s, etc.

brando
06-02-2011, 11:35 PM
"Life begins at a thousand yards"

50BMGBOB
06-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Coalinga Rifle Club has a new website, I am on my phone or I would link it. It has all the contact info.

The FCSA matches are for just 50 cals (50BMG's, 510DTC's, ect..). Come on by this weekend and join us.

EBR Works
06-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Coalinga Rifle Club has a new website, I am on my phone or I would link it. It has all the contact info.

The FCSA matches are for just 50 cals (50BMG's, 510DTC's, ect..). Come on by this weekend and join us.

Here:

http://www.coalingarifleclub.org/