PDA

View Full Version : Question about felon

robnbritt
06-01-2011, 8:39 PM
Just found out that my buddies wife has a felony. She has been with us while we have been out shooting but never has shot. Is this ok or should he just tell her to stay home (probably be the end of him goin too). He does not own any guns so that is not the concern. More concerned about when we are shooting my guns on public and private land.

CAL.BAR
06-01-2011, 8:41 PM
Better safe than sorry. If she is still on probation, and her probation officer hears about her going on a "shooting trip" he/she may get the wrong idea and take her in. If she's not on probation, merely accompanying you (or him) on a trip - as long as she doesn't touch or handle the guns - would be fine.

bwiese
06-01-2011, 8:46 PM
Just found out that my buddies wife has a felony. She has been with us while we have been out shooting but never has shot. Is this ok or should he just tell her to stay home (probably be the end of him goin too). He does not own any guns so that is not the concern. More concerned about when we are shooting my guns on public and private land.

Your life - esp your buddy's life - can get complicated fast.

The wife should not TOUCH/POSSESS guns, ammunition or magazines.
If there's any of this about at your buddy's home it needs to be locked away from her.

A traffic stop with guns in the car - even though all may be locked & unloaded - can go sideways. Similarly. her being near or perceived part of the shooting activities can be problematic. Defendable, perhaps, but problematic and drama-triggering.

[I'm betting that this may well be an old drug conviction. It may well have been sentenced as a 'wobbler' (felony/misdemeanor) - and there is a chance she could have it resentenced as a misdemeanor via a "17(b)" motion via an attorney. If this indeed is a correct approximation of the situation she should look into it, it will make her life easier in general and allow her to be around guns.]

robnbritt
06-01-2011, 8:50 PM
All I know is it happened 10+yrs ago. He never got into shooting because of his wifes situation. He has shown interest lately. Just don't want drama in my life as they are my guns. Thanks for the input.