PDA

View Full Version : Sling. Single point, double point or none?

Vinrx7
06-01-2011, 8:16 PM
Thinking about getting a sling but dont know what would be best for me. I wont be doing alot of walking with the rifle. Mainly for the range. And whats the purpose of the bungee single points?

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-01-2011, 8:33 PM
What I would recommend for you is a standard usgi sling that you can wrap around your bicept and use as a 3rd point of contact. It really stabilizes you. This is the most practical.

RMTactical
06-01-2011, 8:34 PM
Thinking about getting a sling but dont know what would be best for me. I wont be doing alot of walking with the rifle. Mainly for the range. And whats the purpose of the bungee single points?

For most people, all they need is a carry strap. A simple 2-Point will do the job. For others looking for something a little more versatile, a 2-Point Quick Adjust gives you that.

A single point isn't good for the range or long periods of carry. It works good for 3-gun, tactical carbine courses, PSD, dynamic entry, and other more serious things...

Some more information here.

http://www.ar15pro.net/2008/08/slings.html

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

UserM4
06-01-2011, 8:44 PM
I don't think you need a sling for the range. Maybe a carbine course.
Most ranges want you to carry the rifle with the muzzle pointed up anyway. I could be wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BigfootHunter
06-01-2011, 8:52 PM
I say avoid the bungee type, my first single point was one of those (blackhawk, i think). I think the reason behind the bungee is to allow some of the shock of the rifle swinging around to be absorbed? Anyway, my advice is that if you haven't tried a single point yet, try one first before buying. They are a pain in the nuts, literally, unless you are controlling it at all times anyway (which sort of negates the point of the sling in the first place).

If you're going to be walking with it, I say avoid the singlepoint alltogether. I like BlueForceGear's SOC-C (http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Vickers-Combat-Applications-Sling%E2%84%A2.html) pack since it comes with all the attachments to make a 1, 2 or 3 point setup. If you're going straight 2pt, get the Vickers Combat Sling (http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Vickers-Combat-Applications-Sling%E2%84%A2.html) setup from them.

There are tons of other good slings out there, including the Magpul MS-2 which I use as a 2 point primarily, and am happy with as well.

Arisaka
06-01-2011, 8:58 PM
I have this one, it's pretty easy to make and versatile:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=252462

Vinrx7
06-01-2011, 9:47 PM
I don't think you need a sling for the range. Maybe a carbine course.
Most ranges want you to carry the rifle with the muzzle pointed up anyway. I could be wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Im sorry, i should have been more specific. Not like an indoor range but BLM open ranges.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Single point slings have more utility in CQB than anywhere else. The "bungee" slings damp the tug on the sling when the user drops the long gun and transitions to the handgun. Unless you're clearing buildings, you have no need for this sling.

Learn to handle a basic two point sling well and you will be best served for most purposes. By then, you'll know what you want out of a sling and which style will work best for your use.

evidens83
06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Can I still use the Vickers 2pnt with the Magpul ASAP? I was orginally gonna go with a 1pnt/2pnt convertable sling but I finally made up my mind and I'll stick with a 2pnt.

Merc1138
06-02-2011, 1:23 AM
Can I still use the Vickers 2pnt with the Magpul ASAP? I was orginally gonna go with a 1pnt/2pnt convertable sling but I finally made up my mind and I'll stick with a 2pnt.

If you really want to mount a 2 point sling that far forward, sure. Just get the right connector on the end of the sling for it, although I don't know if that would really work with an AR if you were using your sling for stability(which is the second thing slings are used for, besides carrying guns around. But this can be an issue depending on where the forward mount is actually located it may be putting tension on the barrel).

UserM4, just how do you think you carry a rifle over your shoulder with a 2 point sling? You carry it with the butt facing the ground, and the muzzle pointed straight up in the air. I've done this with rifles equipped with slings at public ranges and they don't care as long as it isn't flopping around.

Mr_Monkeywrench, personally I can't stand the bicep cuff technique, and trying to operate an AR(even worse, one with a BB) get's ridiculous really quickly if you have to clear a malfunction with the sling strapped to your arm. The "hasty sling" however, works quite well since you can just drop your elbow out of it, do what you need to do, and very quickly get the rifle stabilized with the sling again. But even then, a GI sling like you mentioned is dirt cheap and you can experiment with it to figure out what works best for you.

juan_
06-02-2011, 8:43 AM
Hi folks. First post here. I have a ms2 with asap, and really like it. I got the set up off of ebay for $65. Just make sure it isn't listed as the pts ms2, that is for airsoft, and is only a few bucks cheaper.

Sumo99
06-02-2011, 9:40 AM
Also look at Ares Armor Amentum Slider sling. http://www.aresarmor.com/install/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Slings I have mine set-up with QD swivels and an adapter on the sling that allows me to easily convert it from a 2-point to 1-point.

Richard Erichsen
06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
What a bunch of traditionalists the bulk of us are. Agreed with other posters that you should start off by keeping it simple. A conventional sling is better than no sling and used under tension around the supporting forearm or bicep can indeed help stabilize unsupported shooting postures.

You can experiment with other slings, but you may well come back to the simple straps that have been used just about forever. If it takes more than a second to do, or requires a light source to "snap in" properly with reconfigurable types, it may be more trouble than it's worth.

The best part is conventional type slings are nearly idiot proof, don't involve a lot of fumbling in the dark if you have to switch to HD mode and cheap to buy as well.

Good luck.

-R

SIGSHOOTR
06-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Also look at Ares Armor Amentum Slider sling. http://www.aresarmor.com/install/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Slings I have mine set-up with QD swivels and an adapter on the sling that allows me to easily convert it from a 2-point to 1-point.

+++++1 this sling rocks. Very well made and designed.

Merc1138
06-02-2011, 1:05 PM
What a bunch of traditionalists the bulk of us are. Agreed with other posters that you should start off by keeping it simple. A conventional sling is better than no sling and used under tension around the supporting forearm or bicep can indeed help stabilize unsupported shooting postures.

You can experiment with other slings, but you may well come back to the simple straps that have been used just about forever. If it takes more than a second to do, or requires a light source to "snap in" properly with reconfigurable types, it may be more trouble than it's worth.

The best part is conventional type slings are nearly idiot proof, don't involve a lot of fumbling in the dark if you have to switch to HD mode and cheap to buy as well.

Good luck.

-R

I really think it comes down to starting with a simple sling, then deciding what you want to change from there on. Do you need something with padding, do you need something with QD adapters, do you need something that can be converted to single point. Spending the $10 on a GI sling and simply working your way up instead of down. It's better to have spend $10 to get an idea of what you want, than spend $50 and decide you don't like it at all.