PDA

View Full Version : using fmj's to hunt with.....illegal????

kingfamous
06-01-2011, 3:59 PM
I was at Turners leaving the gun area when I overheald the salesman tell a guy looking at a AR. The customer wanted to hunt with it as well as plink. The salesman said that he could hunt with it, but It is illegal to use full metal jacketed rounds to hunt with. If anything I thought that was true for big game, but not for small game ie . coyotes. Anybody know about this?

21SF
06-01-2011, 4:06 PM
In california expanding ammo MUST be used. YES illegal to hunt with FMJ.

762.DEFENSE
06-01-2011, 4:08 PM
In california expanding ammo MUST be used. YES illegal to hunt with FMJ.

:iagree:

Spyder
06-01-2011, 4:30 PM
Depends on what you're hunting.

tacticalcity
06-01-2011, 4:32 PM
7.62 mm

http://www.wildsound-filmmaking-feedback-events.com/images/full_metal_jacket_bathroom.jpg

ICONIC
06-01-2011, 4:37 PM
I thought bullet restrictions were in certain areas (ie california condor zones)

trob
06-01-2011, 4:39 PM
Depends on what youre hunting. I am 99% sure that you can use fmj on non-game animals like ground squirrels, jack rabbits, coyotes, etc.

kingfamous
06-01-2011, 4:58 PM
That's what I was wondering about, the small non game animals.

magsnubby
06-01-2011, 8:13 PM
I thought bullet restrictions were in certain areas (ie california condor zones)

That's for lead bullets.

Jpach
06-01-2011, 8:29 PM
Say if we use XM193........that stuff is known for its fragging. Is that cool to use for hunting?

762.DEFENSE
06-01-2011, 9:17 PM
7.62 mm

http://www.wildsound-filmmaking-feedback-events.com/images/full_metal_jacket_bathroom.jpg

:rofl2:

Mssr. Eleganté
06-01-2011, 9:34 PM
Here's where the California Code of Regulations mentions the expanding/softnose requirement for hunting big game animals...

Title 14. Natural Resources
Division 1. Fish and Game Commission-Department of Fish and Game
Subdivision 2. Game and Furbearers
Chapter 3. Big Game
§ 353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including “in-line” muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353, a “projectile” is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.

(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.

Divernhunter
06-01-2011, 9:44 PM
Considering that FMJ bullets were designed for wounding the enemy not killing. I think that a sportsmans job is to humanely, quickly kill the animal(varmit/big game or whatever) it is ethicly wrong to use FMJ bullets. The few exceptions would be a trapper who gets right up to the animal and head shoots it(usually small caliber).
I am not sure about the non-game such as varmits but other game requires expanding bullets. "I" would still use the super expansion type bullets on ground squirrel because I enjoy watching pieces fly everywhere when hit.

No the mil surplus 223 stuff is not considered expanding.

MrPlink
06-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Considering that FMJ bullets were designed for wounding the enemy not killing.

I believe the purpose is to penetrate cover actually

Brd_Hntr
06-02-2011, 8:29 AM
Small game and non-game do not have the expanding type bullet requirement; however expanding or frangible bullets do help avoid ricochet issues downrange.

FLIGHT762
06-02-2011, 8:41 AM
Considering that FMJ bullets were designed for wounding the enemy not killing.

I believe the purpose is to penetrate cover actually

The FMJ covering of a lead bullet was originally designed to promote reliable feeding in military arms. Much later, The Haig convention (1899) prohibited expanding bullets used for warfare.

As stated in earlier posts, Expanding bullets must be used for Big Game in California. It is legal to use FMJ on other game or non game.