PDA

View Full Version : Sabre Defence

MrLogan
12-12-2006, 9:46 PM
Hi all. I'm about to purchase a 20" gov't profile upper receiver assembly. I'll be ordering from PK Firearms. It's a toss up right now between a Bushmaster barrel upper, or a Sabre Defence one. I've had good experience with Bushmaster uppers, but like what Sabre Defence has to offer: parkerized under the FSB, M4 cuts, and "F" marked front sight. Does anyone have any experience with Sabre Defence and what kind of quality I can expect from them?

Update 24 DEC 2006: My upper arrived on Friday morning. It looks amazing; the fit and finish is really good. Can't wait to shoot it.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9103/img1694smallof0.jpg
There she is in all her beauty. A Sabre Defence 20" gov't profile barrel, 1:7 twist, CMV steel, chrome-lined mated to a CMT "T"-Marked A3 upper.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3198/img1696smalljr9.jpg
M4 Feed Ramps

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9572/img1689smallhg1.jpg
"F" makred FSB.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3590/img1712smallgl9.jpg
Both my babies together.

bwiese
12-12-2006, 10:17 PM
but like what Sabre Defence has to offer: parkerized under the FSB, M4 cuts, and "F" marked front sight. Does anyone have any experience with Sabre Defence and what kind of quality I can expect from them?

I have not heard a whole lot about them but they are a legit mil contractor.

The fact that they do all the above is a good sign. I think you'll be happy.

I met them at the SHOT Show and they are nice folks.

1hotshooter
12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Sold them - they're nice

Just aren't stocking them right now, because no one has asked, or in real numbers lately....

calAWBsux
12-12-2006, 11:10 PM
From my research in looking for the best quality upper for the money it appears that SABRE is a good choice (I'm personally waiting on the new BCM uppers to arrive). Sabre is also better than Bushmaster by big margin and you've already mentioned some of the reasons why.

However, I don't know if SABRE, like BCM, MPI's all of their bolts and whether they also PROOF test the upper. I'm pretty sure that they also use the better VANADIUM steel for their barrels, which, IIRC, resists heat better.

Bushmaster may be a prolific brand, but they're not as good as some of the new companies coming out.

Blacktail 8541
12-13-2006, 6:38 AM
Sabre is not a new company. They have been around for a long while. just on the other side of the pond. They finnally established a plant in the USA a few years ago. They produce all of the 50 cal barrels and a host of other barrels for the US military. I have two of their barrels in my builds and they are very high quality. If I needed a upper and they offered what I was looking for I would not hesitate to buy from them.

tay
12-13-2006, 7:54 AM
I bought a 16 inch Mid-length Sabre Defence upper from PK Firearms. The barrel has a great finish and it is 1/7 twist compared to 1/9 from RRA. Shot everything from Wolf, Walmart and Federal through it and hasn't have any issues.

It is a great upper and PK Firearms has great service.

MrLogan
12-13-2006, 5:17 PM
Thanks for all the answers, guys. I think I'm leaning toward the Sabre Defence now. :D

MrLogan
12-15-2006, 3:47 PM
I ordered my Sabre Defence upper from PK Firearms! I'll update once it arrives. :D

xenophobe
12-15-2006, 4:14 PM
Their lowers look kind of crappy, but they have the quality where it counts...

MrLogan
12-15-2006, 4:39 PM
Their lowers look kind of crappy, but they have the quality where it counts...

Crappy in what way? At least I didn't get one of their lowers. :p I'll be attaching my Sabre Defence upper to a Double Star lower.

Matt C
12-15-2006, 6:16 PM
I ordered my Sabre Defence upper from PK Firearms! I'll update once it arrives. :D

Good luck with your upper!

Heheh, I still think you should have got a bushmaster ;)

MrLogan
12-22-2006, 9:35 AM
My Sabre Defence upper arrived today! Early Christmas present. :D I'll update with pics and a range report soon!

veeklog
12-22-2006, 1:01 PM
From what I have heard, they were a British company that moved to Tennessee. They make barrels for the U.S. gov't, and they are quite good. I am strongly leaning towards their A2 model for one of my OLL's because the quality is there and so is the price.

MrLogan
12-24-2006, 4:40 PM
Pics added!

Matt C
12-25-2006, 1:03 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

MrLogan
12-25-2006, 8:00 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

Hehe. Thanks. I think it's quite nice as well. Can't wait to start putting rounds through it! :D

Matt C
12-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Hehe. Thanks. I think it's quite nice as well. Can't wait to start putting rounds through it! :D

yup, next weekend at burro for sure. I'll bring my new sig, the M1a will still be on it's 10 days. :(

MrLogan
12-25-2006, 11:52 PM
yup, next weekend at burro for sure. I'll bring my new sig, the M1a will still be on it's 10 days. :(

Sucks, the M1A would be fun. But the Sig will be awesome. hehe :D

G17GUY
03-11-2007, 8:47 PM
Just curious if you have shot this thing yet? How do you like it?

Also, did it come with a bolt and charging handle?

Thanks

MrLogan
03-11-2007, 9:39 PM
Just curious if you have shot this thing yet? How do you like it?

Also, did it come with a bolt and charging handle?

Thanks

Yeah, I've already shot it. The thing shoots great. It did come with a bolt and charging handle. I purchased my upper from PK Firearms, and they include the RRA bolt and carrier.

I did have some issues initially. My rifle would shortstroke with Winchester Q3131 ammo, but seemed to work just fine with all other types of ammo. Turned out it was rough chamber conditions. After 200 rounds and rigorous cleaning, the Sabre upper performs flawlessly. Haven' had any poblems with it at all.