PDA

View Full Version : PMAG CAPACITY?

SIGSHOOTR
06-01-2011, 1:28 PM
Hi all-- I recently started using PMAGs after using USGI metal mags. Don't have much experience or knowledge about the PMAGs but I know that with USGI mags, you should only load up to 28 rounds and not the full 30 for the mag to seat properly and prevent stoppages. Is this also true for the plastic PMAGS? I recently had an out of state tactical carbine course where my brand new 30 round PMAGs would not seat properly fully loaded. One of the instructors said that after a bit of "wearing in", the PMAG should be able to accommodate the full 30 but in the meantime I should only load up to 28. Is this true for all PMAGs? Or, should I just continue to hold off a few rounds like I did with my USGI mags? Thanks.

THT
06-01-2011, 2:49 PM
The answer is, "it depends". Yes, you can load 30 in a PMAG and seat on a closed bolt but sometimes, you may fight it. I choose to load 28 (as have just about everyone else in the classes I've attended/hosted) and not be *that* guy who's fighting a tac load and holding the line up.

rareair
06-01-2011, 3:16 PM
Interesting, I've never had a problem loading 30rnds into a PMag30 :confused:

hellraiser
06-01-2011, 3:43 PM

But some people find it hard to get a fully loaded mag to seat correctly...

I've always been curious why 28 is the magic number and not 29?

THT
06-01-2011, 3:57 PM
But some people find it hard to get a fully loaded mag to seat correctly...

I've always been curious why 28 is the magic number and not 29?

I like it because it keeps the first round on the same side as a 30. Pat Rogers has beat it into me that when I make ready, feel the top round before inserting in the magwell and releasing the bolt. Drop the mag, feel and make sure it's switched sides. When you load 28, it's on the same side as 30.

762.DEFENSE
06-01-2011, 4:07 PM
I like it because it keeps the first round on the same side as a 30. Pat Rogers has beat it into me that when I make ready, feel the top round before inserting in the magwell and releasing the bolt. Drop the mag, feel and make sure it's switched sides. When you load 28, it's on the same side as 30.

Makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

ap3572001
06-01-2011, 4:17 PM
I ALWAYS ( on and off duty) download my magazines ( not the single stack ones) . 1-3 rounds.

Reconsnake
06-01-2011, 4:57 PM
Actually, to combat the issue you speak of, magpul magazines (if used to rebuild a previously owned preban mag, or out of state) will hold exactly 31 rounds of .223/5.56. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with a pmag loaded to 30 rounds, but I have heard that issue with metal GI mags loaded to 30.

Sniper3142
06-01-2011, 5:17 PM

Ditto.

And they fit into a magwell with a closed bolt and seat just fine.

thefiringline
06-01-2011, 5:25 PM
I have had trouble seating my fully loaded 10/20 Pmag on a closed bolt, but that's because of the block inside.

hellraiser
06-01-2011, 5:31 PM
Makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

+1 pretty sharp!

THT
06-01-2011, 5:39 PM
Actually, to combat the issue you speak of, magpul magazines (if used to rebuild a previously owned preban mag, or out of state) will hold exactly 31 rounds of .223/5.56. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with a pmag loaded to 30 rounds, but I have heard that issue with metal GI mags loaded to 30.

I've seen and experienced enough issues trying to load a full 30 against a closed bolt that I advise against it. The only mag of mine that has a full 30 rounds is the first mag that I make ready with because the bolt is open. The guys who kick doors in for a living in the LE and MIL circles that I have trained/interfaced with almost universally download their PMAGs. The instructors who I've taken classes from generally recommend downloading PMAGs. I stopped loading a full 30 rounds in my PMAGs when midway through a day of instructor-led training, I was constantly fighting my hot and dirty carbine, trying like hell to get a full mag to seat. It's not fun when the COF calls for a tac load after each string because 1) you fight your gear and 2) you hold up the rest of the line. Slapping the mag isn't a solution either as it can induce a double feed if your mag has weakened feed lips. Push the mag in and pull on it to confirm it is seated.

akjunkie
06-01-2011, 5:49 PM
Quick question. The metal USGI mags with a Magpul follower AND Ranger floor plate will only hold 29rds.

Do I download to 28 or 27?

Reconsnake
06-01-2011, 6:46 PM
I've seen and experienced enough issues trying to load a full 30 against a closed bolt that I advise against it. The only mag of mine that has a full 30 rounds is the first mag that I make ready with because the bolt is open. The guys who kick doors in for a living in the LE and MIL circles that I have trained/interfaced with almost universally download their PMAGs. The instructors who I've taken classes from generally recommend downloading PMAGs. I stopped loading a full 30 rounds in my PMAGs when midway through a day of instructor-led training, I was constantly fighting my hot and dirty carbine, trying like hell to get a full mag to seat. It's not fun when the COF calls for a tac load after each string because 1) you fight your gear and 2) you hold up the rest of the line. Slapping the mag isn't a solution either as it can induce a double feed if your mag has weakened feed lips. Push the mag in and pull on it to confirm it is seated.

Any chance you were loading to capacity (31) and experiencing issues? I have had that happen before. I load to capacity and back one off, and have never had another issue.

THT
06-01-2011, 7:04 PM
Any chance you were loading to capacity (31) and experiencing issues? I have had that happen before. I load to capacity and back one off, and have never had another issue.

I load off stripper clips so it would be extremely unlikely.

ZombieTactics
06-01-2011, 7:22 PM
ALL of my PMAGs work perfectly every time with 29 rounds. The more well-worn ones work perfectly with 30. I choose to load them all at 29 instead of trying to keep track which is which.

Droppin Deuces
06-01-2011, 7:28 PM
There must really be something with my Pmags, because mine only hold 10 :(

RMTactical
06-01-2011, 7:44 PM
I generally load to 28 rounds. However, I rarely have problems when I do load to 30 with USGI or PMAG's.

AlliedArmory
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
There must really be something with my Pmags, because mine only hold 10 :(

I thought this would be the majority here, but it seems we have a lot of LEO tonight.

Sniper3142
06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought this would be the majority here, but it seems we have a lot of LEO tonight.

And lots really old folks (who are old enough to have a $h!t load of Large Capacity mags from before the ban... that they've rebuilt with Pmag parts). ;)

SIGSHOOTR
06-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys-- as usual, got a lot of useful info from you all.

THT
06-02-2011, 9:21 AM

Or people who rebuilt their legally owned USGI mags and have featureless rifles. Or who use a maglock and 10rd rounds but use PMAGs out of state.

The War Wagon
06-02-2011, 9:27 AM
I run 30 in all mine, unlike my GI mags, where I download to 28.

Note also, I run them in PA, not, CA. ;)

k1dude
06-02-2011, 9:37 AM
I use 30 in all of my PMAGS and USGI mags without a problem. I guess I'm lucky or my weapons are better than most at accepting a full mag.