View Full Version : Help understanding out-of-state long gun rules?

06-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Anyone care to help me understand the do's and don'ts regarding bringing long guns into the state? I'm aware of the AW definition, so that is not my focus - more the general "can you and what do I need to do?"

I've been working out of state for a while and I've found some great deals on a couple rifles and shotguns - both commercial sources and garage sales. My questions are:
- what are the state laws about a CA resident buying CA-legal long guns out of state?
- what are the requirements when moving to CA with long guns you already own?

Thanks in advance, Gunners.

06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
If a CA resident wants to purchase a long gun out of state, he needs to have the gun sent to a CA FFL, DROS the gun, wait 10 days, and pay the FFL whatever fee the FFL feels like charging.

As long as a person moving into CA only brings in CA legal long guns, they simply need to bring them with them when they move. There is no registration required in CA for long guns.

EBR Works
06-01-2011, 12:30 PM
If the guns you are finding are C&R firearms (http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/), you can get your C&R FFL (FFL03) (http://members.cox.net/cruffler/ffl.html) and you may then purchase them F2F cash while outside of California. Any C&R handguns would have to be registered with California (http://ossh.com/firearms/CALIFORNIA_GUN_LAWS/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) when you return home.

Unfortunately, this does not apply to modern firearms and you need to do as Decoligny stated above with those.

...oh and welcome to CalGuns!

06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Just for the background, see the wiki article http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate