PDA

View Full Version : Unapproved use of CA gunrights organizations' logos [NRA, CRPA, Calguns, CGF, SAF...]

bwiese
06-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I see some cowboy attempts to misuse various CA and national gunrights organization logos on materials issued not in coordination with/approved by those organizations. This seems to be recent result of some UOCers but I'd bet it happens/will happen in relation to other aspects of gun rights matters too.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO PUT AN ORGANIZATION'S LOGO ON YOUR FLYER/MAILER WITHOUT OFFICIAL APPROVAL FROM THAT ORGANIZATION.

I *know* this is the case with the NRA. (Those logos are well-defended!!) And specific
Memebers' Councils names cannot be used either without that MC's mgmt chain approval (!!!)
I *know* this is the case with CRPA (I'm on its Board.)
I *know* this is the case with SAF (we just checked w/Alan Gottlieb).
I *know* this is the case with Calguns.Net (Kestryll (Paul Nordberg) owns that logo.)
I *know* this is the case with The Calguns Foundation (I'm a Board member.)
The issue is less about the actual use of the logo - i.e., this is really not about money/licensing income - but whether you may well be doing something severely detrimental that taints these organizations with your debris, and which may contravene that organization's policies or political stances/strategies, and lobbying/legal efforts.

If you feel strongly about something, put your own damned name on it. Don't drag the rest of us in your dust-up.

cindynles
06-01-2011, 7:04 PM
If you feel strongly about something, put your own damned name on it. Don't drag the rest of us in your dust-up.

Well said.

KylaGWolf
06-01-2011, 7:08 PM
Well put Bill. While I would love to put the calguns logo on my fb I won't do so because I didn't want to step on any toes. :)

ptoguy2002
06-01-2011, 7:18 PM
...Or tax status....

Soldier415
06-01-2011, 7:48 PM
I *know* this is the case with Calguns.Net (Kestryll (Paul Nordberg) owns that logo.)

Drat. So this means I need to redesign the front page of my newsletter, "Jenkem Quarterly"

taperxz
06-01-2011, 7:59 PM
Bill, would you clarify when it is appropriate.

T shirts, key chains, FB as a supporter ect. Where is the line drawn?

bwiese
06-01-2011, 8:16 PM
I think it's fine inidivduals use a logo, say in their sig line, to indicate membership.

But when bulletins/flyers/call-to-action roposals by an individual have logos attached then it becomes confusing.

Making sellable/distributable items is probably un-good, esp without authorization.

By contrast, linking your FB page to a logo to indicate membership is readily understood as a 'marker of support'.

taperxz
06-01-2011, 8:24 PM
OK, the reason I ask this though is that, for instance, I have donated to CGF but there really is no membership. Or, is there?

taperxz
06-01-2011, 8:25 PM
I am not trying to get technical with you either, just asking.

chief003
06-01-2011, 8:36 PM
OK, the reason I ask this though is that, for instance, I have donated to CGF but there really is no membership. Or, is there?

Good question...is there a CGF member logo for use in sig lines and the like?

Or a better question might be...is there such a thing as a CGF member? Just because I've donated to the foundation doesn't necessarily make me a member...or does it?

Apologize if this belongs in another thread or if I should have used Search. :o

Chief003

bwiese
06-01-2011, 8:40 PM

Well perhaps there's membership in spirit.

Speaking for CGF... what is cool is say, "I support CGF" etc sigline perhaps with CGF logo. (Just like folks use other logos on their siglines to indicate membership or support.)

By contrast, passing out a document calling for a rally with a CGF logo [or other group's logo] is a no-no.

Similarly, we all have NRA or CRPA hats or even Calguns hats, with NRA or CRPA or Calguns logo to express our support. But that doesn't translate to using those logos to print up your own keychains, or your own political mailers, etc. with those logos.

Bottom line, if confusion could remotely exist - or you are making a buck off of - use of the logos, don't.

H Paul Payne
06-01-2011, 8:41 PM
I see some cowboy attempts to misuse various CA and national gunrights organization logos on materials issued not in coordination with/approved by those organizations. This seems to be recent result of some UOCers but I'd bet it happens/will happen in relation to other aspects of gun rights matters too.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO PUT AN ORGANIZATION'S LOGO ON YOUR FLYER/MAILER WITHOUT OFFICIAL APPROVAL FROM THAT ORGANIZATION.

I *know* this is the case with the NRA. (Those logos are well-defended!!) And specific
Memebers' Councils names cannot be used either without that MC's mgmt chain approval (!!!)
I *know* this is the case with CRPA (I'm on its Board.)
I *know* this is the case with SAF (we just checked w/Alan Gottlieb).
I *know* this is the case with The Calguns Foundation (I'm a Board member.)

The issue is less about the actual use of the logo - i.e., this is really not about money/licensing income - but whether you may well be doing something severely detrimental that taints these organizations with your debris, and which may contravene that organization's policies or political stances/strategies, and lobbying/legal efforts.

I think it's fine inidivduals use a logo, say in their sig line, to indicate membership.

But when bulletins/flyers/call-to-action roposals by an individual have logos attached then it becomes confusing.

Thanks for posting this Bill.

There have been instances where people have falsely claimed to be involved in the NRA Members' Council Program and a couple of times some of these people created a small level of confusion regarding NRA's positions on issues and activities. The effort required to set the record straight was a waste of time that could/should have been spent opposing the anti-gunners and supporting pro-gun legislative efforts.

As the Program Administrator for the Members' Councils, I have no choice but to turn the violators over to our legal team for appropriate action. What a waste of time and effort for all involved. :(

I've never understood why those who use others' names and/or logos aren't proud enough of their actions to use their own names instead?!?!?

Paul

Gryff
06-01-2011, 8:43 PM
Ack...I put a full page CGF/CGN ad in the match book for the recent California IDPA championship. Sorry about that...should have asked permission.

wildhawker
06-01-2011, 8:49 PM
Gryff,

I sent the CGF logo to you for that use. - Brandon

JaMail
06-01-2011, 8:59 PM
as long as i dont have to cut off my leg for having an NRA logo tattoo

bwiese
06-01-2011, 9:06 PM
as long as i dont have to cut off my leg for having an NRA logo tattoo

I think NRA'd let you keep your leg, since you have a strong individual show of membership :)

JaMail
06-01-2011, 9:09 PM
thats cool, my mall ninja tacticool look wouldnt work half as good if i had a pirate pegleg.

ive been trying to talk my wife into skinning it and framing it if i die prematurely or anything.

Munk
06-01-2011, 9:31 PM
thats cool, my mall ninja tacticool look wouldnt work half as good if i had a pirate pegleg.

ive been trying to talk my wife into skinning it and framing it if i die prematurely or anything.

Yeah, but just think about how many bayo-lugs, tac-rails, lights, lasers, red-dots, and pistol grips you can put on a c-leg.

With the right mods, your leg can BE your holster, or your locked container (think robocop), or even your openly carried firearm. (Planet Terror/Grindhouse)

voiceofreason
06-01-2011, 9:37 PM
What if you created a campaign and named it:
"The Bradey Campaign to Promote Grandparents' Visitation"

You could write vague, crappy comments and attribute it to your campaign:

The Bradey Campaign to PGV

:P

BigDogatPlay
06-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Drat. So this means I need to redesign the front page of my newsletter, "Jenkem Quarterly"

Ooooh yes... sign me up for that bad boy. :rofl2:

I'm just glad that the CGN patch I begged my wife to sew on my clays vest can stay put. Referrin' to the site is how I roll. :)

2Bear
06-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Do I have to smash my scotch glasses?
http://gallery.me.com/therobthomas/100057/CGF_tumbler/web.jpg

BTW, feed me some boilerplate and I'll design a terrifying cease & desist piece... ;)

wildhawker
06-02-2011, 12:48 AM

BTW, feed me some boilerplate and I'll design a terrifying cease & desist piece... ;)

You get a pass. :43:

-Brandon

Lulfas
06-02-2011, 7:39 AM
..Unless you're using it for commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving or scholarship.

bwiese
06-02-2011, 9:33 AM
I'm just glad that the CGN patch I begged my wife to sew on
my clays vest can stay put. Referrin' to the site is how I roll. :)

That's fine. That CGN patch was produced in an authorized fashion.
We can't control how it's used after that but are not too worried.
Again, that "indicia of membership/support" as opposed to "indicia of position/authority".

Wherryj
06-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Making sellable/distributable items is probably un-good, esp without authorization.

By contrast, linking your FB page to a logo to indicate membership is readily understood as a 'marker of support'.

So the upcoming "Get a Calguns tattoo on your forehead drive" is a no go then?

stix213
06-02-2011, 1:37 PM
Yeah, but just think about how many bayo-lugs, tac-rails, lights, lasers, red-dots, and pistol grips you can put on a c-leg.

With the right mods, your leg can BE your holster, or your locked container (think robocop), or even your openly carried firearm. (Planet Terror/Grindhouse)

http://bumscorner.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/planet%20terror_leg%20gun.jpg

Gryff
06-02-2011, 2:50 PM
Gryff,

I sent the CGF logo to you for that use. - Brandon

Damn...I thought I was getting away with givin' it to The Man.

jdberger
06-02-2011, 8:45 PM
Shoot. I'm gonna have to scrap that order for CGF branded unitards.

There was a lot of potential, there.

FastFinger
06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Shoot. I'm gonna have to scrap that order for CGF branded unitards.

There was a lot of potential, there.

A whole lot o'potential...

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5504/unitard.png

hoffmang
06-02-2011, 10:24 PM

I'm sorry - those are a violation. The contraband must be sent to 751 Sylvan....

:43:

-Gene

wildhawker
06-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I just want to be clear that the above is not me. Unless you think it's a hot gitup. Then maybe it is.

-Brandon

wildhawker
06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry - those are a violation. The contraband must be sent to 751 Sylvan....

:43:

-Gene

Isn't that just a badass design? Many thanks to the creator, 2Bear!

All: CGF gear with that art will be available at the new CGF store in... :twoweeks:!

-Brandon

bigcalidave
06-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Wow fred, unitards? Thanks for that image!

Bill is correct, and I get asked all the time if someone can produce a product with the Calguns.net logo on it. The items that we offer for sale are used for fundraising for the operations of this site and the outreach programs. If you have a really great idea and think it could be a viable promotional item, contact me and we can possibly work out a deal to sell the item from our store or booths. Please don't make a commercial item with the Calguns logo or name for your own sales!

jdberger
06-03-2011, 12:22 AM
A whole lot o'potential...

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5504/unitard.png

How long have you been sitting on that image, Fred?

Unfortunately, none of the CGF Directors are that ... svelte.

dotalchemy
06-03-2011, 6:06 AM
Um.

CGF Shot glasses.

Do want. Will exchange for $$$. Make it so. Engage. Etc.

hoffmang
06-03-2011, 3:15 PM

Ouch... The truth hurts.

-Gene

blakdawg
06-03-2011, 7:48 PM

Yeah, but what about their packages? I understand Gene's package is very nice.

killmime1234
06-03-2011, 8:03 PM
Yeah, but what about their packages? I understand Gene's package is very nice.
You've got a little brown on your nose there. ;)

pennys dad
06-03-2011, 8:15 PM
Ummm, good God but is the one on the left sporting a camel toe?

2Bear
06-04-2011, 8:20 PM
Evidence of early mis-struck proofs leakage...

lKbw3Vm0rcM