PDA

View Full Version : Advice on scope mount (pic)

shark92651
12-12-2006, 9:12 PM
I just picked up an inexspensive 4-16x33 scope for my AR. After mounting with the rings I bought at the same time I just noticed it is difficult to pull back the charging handle (not much clearance). Should I get a riser or taller rings to compensate for this?

http://static.flickr.com/141/320112764_dcfbe9aaac_b.jpg

bu-bye
12-12-2006, 9:18 PM
I don't know what the eye relief is on the scope but it sure looks far back. I like mine way back but not that far. Anyway, a little Tactical charging handle will solve all your problems....

http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/media/D280.jpg

EDIT: Keep the scope as low as you can without causing discomfort to you. The lower the scope the less you will have to adjust your scope for different distances.

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 9:22 PM
The tactical charging handle is almost a must with a scope ;) . Heres mine, made by Badger Tactical.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/blkA4alb/Untitled5.jpg

shark92651
12-12-2006, 9:29 PM
Thanks, I'll pick one up. The stock is long and I could move the scope a bit forward though. Instead, I opted to adjust the comb length out a bit.

Prc329
12-13-2006, 7:49 PM
I just install the Badger Tac Latch on both my ars. the scoped one is much easier to pull the charging handle on now.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=73

NwG
12-14-2006, 1:57 AM
+1 on the scope being mounted a little too far back.. I don't know how you like to shoot an AR but many people like the "nose to charging handle" method..

A BigLatch is a must for an AR with optics.. Good info there...

xenophobe
12-14-2006, 4:12 AM
Yeah, that scope needs to move forward about 4 inches.... :eek:

randy
12-14-2006, 4:35 AM
How clear is the scope at the higher powers?

shark92651
12-14-2006, 7:09 AM
It seems very clear to me - it has a parallax adjustment on the left-hand-side. This is my first AR and first scope so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I compared it to a low-end Leopold that was twice the price and I really didn't see that much of a difference. This is a mil-dot Accushot (made by Leapers) and I got it for around $120.

Sydwaiz
12-14-2006, 7:14 AM
but many people like the "nose to charging handle" method..

I don't understand this. Maybe with a collapsed stock and peep sights but no way with a scope. If I'm shooting a scoped rifle, I want to be comfortable and not have to strain my neck. Heck, if I'm shooting any rifle, I want to be comfortable. Having my nose against the charging handle is not. I may try and get close but that's it.

A tactical latch would be the way to go. I wouldn't go raising the scope if your cheek weld and eye alignment is good as is. If you feel a little tight on the gun to get a good sight picture, then a riser or higher rings may help with the CH as well as comfort.

NwG
12-14-2006, 9:35 PM
I don't understand this. Maybe with a collapsed stock and peep sights but no way with a scope. If I'm shooting a scoped rifle, I want to be comfortable and not have to strain my neck. Heck, if I'm shooting any rifle, I want to be comfortable. Having my nose against the charging handle is not. I may try and get close but that's it.

A tactical latch would be the way to go. I wouldn't go raising the scope if your cheek weld and eye alignment is good as is. If you feel a little tight on the gun to get a good sight picture, then a riser or higher rings may help with the CH as well as comfort.

The nose to charging handle dosen't really mean "stick your nose on the charging handle.. It kind of is a way to say that with the AR, you really need to be up on the rifle.. It is kind of hard to explain, but you get more control and a better sight picture (with irons) when your way up on the rifle... To me it in no way strains my neck... I find it very comfortable..

WeThePeople
12-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Badger Ordnance makes 3 models of charging handles. For a scope, the original Tactical Latch is very good. Some people complain that it sticks out too much and can get hung up on something. However, I've never had a problem with them. http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=latch

PRI also makes a couple of charging handles. The Gas Buster Military Big Latch is an alternative to the BO latch. The Gas Buster supposedly reduced the amount of gas that comes back at you, especially with a suppressor (not much of an issue in CA). You can buy the whole charging handle http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRI&Category_Code=AR15_M16_ACC or just the latch part, shown on PRI's next page.

ocabj
12-15-2006, 4:00 PM
Nose to charging handle can be taken literally. But you don't really use this method with scopes. I usually shoot with my nose to the handle in all positions (standing, sitting, prone). Depending on light conditions, I may keep my head farther back on the stock in standing.

Scopes are a bit unique. But if you notice that Leupold makes the Mark 4 3-9x36 MR/T with a longer eyerelief specifically for the AR platform. Example setup with this scope:

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/mk12mod1_temp/IMG_4171_altered.sized.jpg (http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/mk12mod1_temp/IMG_4171_altered.jpg)

The standard LR/T model Mark 4 3-10x40 is usually seen with a riser mount on flattops which allow the scope to be mounted more forward to allow for access to the charging handle.

xenophobe
12-15-2006, 5:16 PM
The nose to charging handle dosen't really mean "stick your nose on the charging handle..

Yes, it actually does mean the tip of your nose should be touching the charging handle. That's the way we trained in the Army, and that's the way I shoot now.

It doesn't hurt you know. :p

Nose to charging handle can be taken literally. But you don't really use this method with scopes.

The standard LR/T model Mark 4 3-10x40 is usually seen with a riser mount on flattops which allow the scope to be mounted more forward to allow for access to the charging handle.

If you look at the LT SPR mount, it allows you to keep your nose on the charging handle. Most scope mounts don't, and it isn't completely necessary, but it does give you a consistent cheek weld every time, which is important if you are shooting for accuracy.

shark92651
12-15-2006, 7:19 PM
I just took another look at my rifle tonight and I cannot move the scope forward without removing the rear flip sight. Unless I get a riser it is as far forward as it will go because the thickness of the rear eyepiece will not clear the sight. I have yet to get this new gun to the range so I can not comment on the comfort while shooting.

NwG
12-15-2006, 7:38 PM
I just took another look at my rifle tonight and I cannot move the scope forward without removing the rear flip sight. Unless I get a riser it is as far forward as it will go because the thickness of the rear eyepiece will not clear the sight. I have yet to get this new gun to the range so I can not comment on the comfort while shooting.

Unless you have quick disconnect or throw lever rings for the scope the takein off the rear sight shouldnt be a problem. As long as the scope is on there ther is no way to use the sight.

shark92651
12-15-2006, 7:42 PM
Unless you have quick disconnect or throw lever rings for the scope the takein off the rear sight shouldnt be a problem. As long as the scope is on there ther is no way to use the sight.

Would removing my iron sights be generally recommended over geting a 1/2" rail riser. I was hoping to zero in my iron sights and then just keep them in place as a "back up" to the scope. Is rasing the scope 1/2" going to make it much more difficult to zero? I have the adjustable height on the stock if that is a concern. Thanks for all advice guys.

NwG
12-15-2006, 9:12 PM
Your iron sights can be removed and reinstalled with usually little change in zero.. As long as you reinstall them in the same spot on the rail..

Like I said, unless you have some sort of quick disconnect or throw lever rings for your scope the irons are really doning nothing for you.. It would take a good deal of time to remove the scope in the field to use the iron sights.

It would be better to remove the iron sights and keep them handy (Like in a pack) then to raise the scope. You usually try to mount a scope as close to the bore of the rifle as possable. This way if anything happened to the scope in the field, you could remove it and mount your iron sights..

If you get a riser block or taller rings you will be able to move the scope foward, but still will not be able to use your iron sights.

Prc329
12-15-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread.

I bought a YHM Riser because I felt my head was to far down on the buttstock. Once installed there is about a 1/8 inch or maybe less movement forward and back from the riser. Is this normal or do I have a bad fitting riser?

blkA4alb
12-15-2006, 10:11 PM
There should be no movement in your optics or mount.

Prc329
12-15-2006, 10:16 PM
That's what I though. Bad fitting riser. I'll have to send it back or try and work with it to get it to stay put.

Prc329
12-16-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm stupid. The screws were in backwards. All is well :)