PDA

View Full Version : Bringing my rifles to California

Briancnelson
06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Ok, question about bringing in some rifles to California. Pretty sure I know the answer, but I wanted to get some people to chime in in case I'm missing something.

My belief is that:

1. This isn't a transfer. The rifles and the shotgun were gifted to me 22 years ago in approximately 1988-89 by my father, when we were both residents of Arizona. I have been the only person to shoot these guns in about 20 years, they have simply been stored with my father, because the only time I shot them was when I went on my yearly hunting trip with him. I therefore don't need to have him ship them to an FFL and do transfer paperwork, intrafamilial or otherwise.

2. All of the guns are California legal. The rifles are bolt action sporting guns, and the shotgun is a basic Winchester 1300 pump. This part isn't a question, they are definitely legal, nothing "evil" about them.

3. I can therefore simply put them in a locked container in my trunk and drive them to my house from Arizona without any issues, correct? I don't have to register them with anyone, or fill out any paperwork, or pay anyone a fee?

Anyone here have any reason to believe I'm wrong on this?

motorwerks
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure you're 100% correct.

21SF
06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
the case doesnt even have to be locked.

dieselpower
06-01-2011, 12:34 PM
The only thing I have to say, is your opinion of "evil" and the DoJs opinion of "evil" are two different things.

What you think is a standard hunting rifle or plinker is an Assault Weapon here.

The "Gun Guys" at my work see my AR15 as evil, while they see nothing wrong with their factory stock Mini-14s...guess what, the Mini-14 is an AW, my AR15 is not. Many Mini-14s had flash hiders, which make them illegal if not registered and they can not be brought into the State as such.

So that being said... List the exact rifles and exact shotguns, their configurations and modifications you made. Then we will know if they are DoJ "non-Evil".

Thank You

Librarian
06-01-2011, 1:37 PM
The rifles are bolt action sporting guns

Unless .50 BMG, should be no issues. No transfer, so no FFL, and CA doesn't ask you to register long guns. Just bring them to your CA address.

tujungatoes
06-01-2011, 2:29 PM
Hell, if they're all long guns I don't even think you're required to lock them for transpo. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't. Just that you don't have to.

Briancnelson
06-01-2011, 2:43 PM
Thanks for the opinions. Just wanted to do a reality check before my trip.

I am very comfortable that the rifles are legal, that wasn't the part I'm worried about. I'm very familiar with the flowchart.

These are strictly ordinary sporting bolt action, non-semi automatic firearms, dressed out in perfectly ordinary wood stocks, and a basic pump shotgun sold at mediocre gun stores everywhere, with the silly mag plug still in place to keep it under the round limit so I can hunt with it.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obscure ruling out there that somehow this was a "transfer" from my father even though the actual gifting occurred over 20 years ago, simply because they were in his safe most of the time.