PDA

View Full Version : NRA/CRPA alert: SB610 CCW Reform - please urge "Yes' vote on SB610 in state Senators

bwiese
06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
This bill covers very important achievable improvements on the CCW issuance process.

Focus is important: while there are certainly other bills of significance out there that need attention,
our CA NRA/CRPA team is requsting specific attention to this particular bill at this moment.

Please contact state Senators: talking points about SB610 are below.

You can send a "one click" to the Senate via
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml#contactinfo

A list of Senators and contact information (phone, email) is at
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs/sen.shtml

-----------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE CIRCULATE AND CROSS-POST TO ALL GUN OWNERS
=================================================

To all:

Please contact the members of the CA State Senate and urge them to vote YES on Senate Bill 610 (Wright)
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb610&year=2011

Some talking points regarding SB610:

SB 610 would standardize the application process for a license to carry a concealed
handgun and reform requirements for applicants.
Currently, some licensing agencies require applicants to pay a firearms training fees,
purchase liability insurance and pay hundreds of dollars in costs before the agency
determines if the applicant has “good cause” for the issuance of a CCW license.
SB 610 would amend the current sequence for processing of the applications and
require the issuing agency to determine if the applicant has “good cause” BEFORE
the applicant is required to expend the time and the cost required for the completion
of the approval process.
If the CCW applicant is determined to have “good cause”, they would still be required
to pass a background check/screening and complete the required firearms training before
the agency would complete the process and issue a CCW permit.
SBl 610 would also prohibit issuing agencies from requiring CCW applicants to obtain liability
insurance as a condition of issuance of a license. Liability insurance can cost an applicant
hundreds of dollars per year and is not required under existing law and should not be required
to obtain a license.
The passage of Senate Bill 610 would reform the current CCW application process bringing
uniformity and fairness to the applicants.

Remember, contact the Senate and urge them to pass this important reform bill. Circulate this entire message
to all gun owners, clubs, forums, blogs, etc. Spread the word and keep up the pressure!

If you have any questions, please contact me using the contact information below.

Paul

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
H. Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
3565 La Ciotat Way
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 683-4NRA Office
(951) 779-0740 Fax
nrausmc@earthlink.net Email

Fighting for the restoration and preservation of the Second Amendment, right here in California, since 1989!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

stevie
06-01-2011, 11:00 AM
One click away..............

bwiese
06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
One click away..............

Thank you!

BTW to all: in the time it takes for a smoke/coffee break, you can step outside, pull out your cellphone and take up some switchboard and staff time for several legislators for just a few nickels of airtime.

wildhawker
06-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I would like to note that this bill, while it should be supported, has real but limited effect.

Most of the changes reiterate the standards and duties under existing Penal Code; however, a few of the changes proposed by the bill (in its current form) will be useful levers for ongoing CGF Carry License Reform and Sunshine Initiative actions.

Please help push SB 610 through this cycle.

-Brandon

Southwest Chuck
06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I can't recall now, but doesn't the bill also require issuing agencies to state the reason for a denial of the application?

wildhawker
06-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I can't recall now, but doesn't the bill also require issuing agencies to state the reason for a denial of the application?

It would require a "specific reason" for denial.

Just to set expectations, "not meeting our criteria for good cause" is likely what you'll see for that specific reason (until it is litigated).

Moress
06-01-2011, 1:32 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't this bill give exemptions to senators and representatives allowing them to by pass the whole system and just get a ccw with no effort? If so, I can't support this bill based on that merrit. I refuse to give the 'ruling' class rights that I don't have. If I have to go through the process, then they should too.

Luieburger
06-01-2011, 1:45 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't this bill give exemptions to senators and representatives allowing them to by pass the whole system and just get a ccw with no effort? If so, I can't support this bill based on that merrit. I refuse to give the 'ruling' class rights that I don't have. If I have to go through the process, then they should too.

Looks like that part got scratched. http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb610&year=2011

bwiese
06-01-2011, 1:46 PM

You appear not to have read the current detailed bill summary.
It's no longer in it.

[Also, even if this "legislator CCW" matter were indeed present you should still support the bill due to the benefits it can provide the fight. Don't let purity interfere with practical results down the line.]

madmike
06-01-2011, 2:03 PM
Done. C'mon people, it's all kinds of easy!!!

CCWFacts
06-01-2011, 2:23 PM
Letter sent! I know that mine would vote to ban all guns under any circumstances, including disarming herself and her family and everyone except illegal alien gang members, but hey I can still send a letter.

darkwater
06-01-2011, 2:50 PM
As noted here, it passed the Senate today, now on to the Assembly: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6512110&postcount=124

ldsnet
06-01-2011, 2:52 PM
I wish the bill did more to reform CA CCW laws, but I will take what I can get. Baby steps . . .

Message sent.

Moress
06-01-2011, 3:18 PM
I admit it's been some time since I last read it, but if it's been revised, then I fully support it. I will send a letter shortly.

You appear not to have read the current detailed bill summary.
It's no longer in it.

[Also, even if this "legislator CCW" matter were indeed present you should still support the bill due to the benefits it can provide the fight. Don't let purity interfere with practical results down the line.]

I couldn't disagree with the bold anymore. I would rather live in a police state where we are all equal then live under the guise of freedom where our politicians can come and go as they please. The fact that we settle for scraps at the tables of the ruling elite is extremely displeasing to me as I feel my countrymen deserve, and are capable of achieving much better.

But thats just how I feel.

wildhawker
06-01-2011, 3:27 PM
Moress, that's a foolish way to approach liberty. We can fix stupid equal protection issues easier than we can fix death by a thousand regulatory cuts.

Moress
06-01-2011, 3:32 PM
Moress, that's a foolish way to approach liberty. We can fix stupid equal protection issues easier than we can fix death by a thousand regulatory cuts.

If we let politicians keep getting away with these special perks, then where to we draw the line?

All I'm saying is there are other ways to fight the good fight without sacraficing liberty in the process.

wildhawker
06-01-2011, 3:34 PM
Moress, what you said was that you'd rather have nothing than a fixable something.

Look past the line of trees and see the forest behind them. We are pretty capable of making gold from a pile of wheel weights.

Kharn
06-01-2011, 3:43 PM
Every special group that gets an exemption/automatic issue is another crack in the armor for equal protection attacks.

Moress
06-01-2011, 3:49 PM
Moress, what you said was that you'd rather have nothing than a fixable something.

Look past the line of trees and see the forest behind them. We are pretty capable of making gold from a pile of wheel weights.

I was giving a very extreme example. What I was trying to say is even if we lived in total crap, it wouldn't be as bad because we would all be in the same position. Granted I don't want to live in a police state, but to me it's the lesser of the two evils. No where did I say we shouldn't fight for our rights, on the contrary, we should pound our chests and demand our freedoms be returned to us, but not at the expense of allowing those who are voted into office to become above and beyond the law.

It's like what Ben Franklin said, "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither" and I think if he and the other founding fathers were here standing amongst us, they would agree with me.

P.S. Letter sent :)

darkwater
06-01-2011, 4:00 PM
Hopefully, y'all are sending the letters to the Assembly, not the Senate, as it passed out of the Senate today. ;)

johnny_22
06-01-2011, 4:13 PM
I hope she votes YES on this one. Tried to explain how Sheriffs were playing favorites and not providing licenses to good store owners.

H Paul Payne
06-01-2011, 4:18 PM
Hopefully, y'all are sending the letters to the Assembly, not the Senate, as it passed out of the Senate today. ;)

It is not yet the time to send letters to the Assembly. Today was a focused effort on the State Senate. The time will come, when we focus on the State Assembly.

"Focused effort" is the key.

Paul

hawk1
06-01-2011, 4:23 PM
... We are pretty capable of making gold from a pile of wheel weights.

Can you make a CGF bullet point list of those?

IGOTDIRT4U
06-01-2011, 4:27 PM
If we let politicians keep getting away with these special perks, then where to we draw the line?

All I'm saying is there are other ways to fight the good fight without sacraficing liberty in the process.

It's not a perk, it's not a perk, it's not a perk...

...but it is an easy avenue for (re)newed litigation. :rolleyes:

wildhawker
06-01-2011, 4:30 PM

Many are located here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/about/what-has-cgf-done-for-me-lately.html), but others will be made clear as we file new cases through the summer and fall of this year...

darkwater
06-01-2011, 6:42 PM
It is not yet the time to send letters to the Assembly. Today was a focused effort on the State Senate. The time will come, when we focus on the State Assembly.

"Focused effort" is the key.

Paul

I realize that, but most people were still posting that they would send a letter AFTER the vote had already taken place...kind of like beating a dead horse.

johnny_22
06-02-2011, 7:14 AM
I realize that, but most people were still posting that they would send a letter AFTER the vote had already taken place...kind of like beating a dead horse.

But, my State Senator Corbett voted "YES", so I am happy with my email effect. She can take it as a "that a girl" compliment.

Southwest Chuck
06-02-2011, 9:31 AM

I would suggest that letters still be sent to the approving Senators, but instead of urging support, thanking them FOR their support. I don't know about all of you, but I always appreciate a pat on the back once in a while!

uyoga
06-02-2011, 9:34 AM
Done!

Spetsnazos
06-02-2011, 1:11 PM
Just called Bob Blumefield and told him to vote !!

Come on guys!!

bwiese
06-02-2011, 1:48 PM
I would suggest that letters still be sent to the approving Senators, but instead of urging support, thanking them FOR their support. I don't know about all of you, but I always appreciate a pat on the back once in a while!

Useful good idea.

hawk1
06-03-2011, 9:32 AM

Many are located here (http://calgunsfoundation.org/about/what-has-cgf-done-for-me-lately.html), but others will be made clear as we file new cases through the summer and fall of this year...

I see a lot of "defended" and that's great, but no laws reversed yet.

To me and others, that will be the gold...