PDA

View Full Version : June 2011 Foresthill Target Range Clean-up.

markm
06-01-2011, 8:45 AM
Hello Calgunners,

Please volunteer to help clean-up after irresponsible plinkers on the Tahoe National Forest.

I am planning to clean-up some sites on the Tahoe National Forest at FS road 0088, to FS road 10, to FS road 3127. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/tahoe/17.php

I work weekends. I am available 6/8/2011 and 6/14/2011 for a clean-up day.

I have emailed a FS Ranger and asked about transfer stations in the area, or if the FS has a refuse collection point we could use.

Some of these sites were cleaned-up last year by Calguns volunteers (scroll on the Forum heading page for site clean-up pictures and events that occured last year).

I will update this post when the FS ranger responds to my email.

markm
PM me or post on this thread if you have sugestions or want to get more information regarding this event.

markm
06-02-2011, 6:26 AM
Hello All,

The FS has responded to my email regarding trash hauling facilities. The FS has an arrangement with the Foresthill transfer station. Volunteers can drop-off rubbish collected on the Tahoe NF at the transfer station.

Unfortunately for me, the tranfer station is only open Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I work weekends.

This may be a good option for some Calgunners who use this area and can volunteer on weekends.

I am emailing the FS back to ask if we can dump at the transfer station without prior arrangement, after collecting trash from the Tahoe NF.

markm

markm
06-03-2011, 7:59 PM
Hello Calgunners,

I was on the Tahoe NF today. I loaded my truck with range rubbish and hauled it to the transfer station on Foresthill Road. I was charged nothing to dump the load thanks to FS employees Mo and Kay. They have an arrangement with the transfer station that allows volunteers to dump Forest trash at no charge to the volunteer.

Furthermore, Mo and Kay gave me a form that officially makes me a volunteer and covers me for tort claims and injury compensation. A volunteer must wear boots, a hard hat, gloves, and etc.

I am going to sign the document and deliver it to the Ranger station the next time I am on Forest Hill. Once the Ranger approves the app, I am covered.

The two sites that I cleaned-up need more work. There is probably one more truckload of trash at these sites. I got most of the big stuff. The big site has more trash that is not in view.

It was a rewarding experience. I met two shooters at one site and they were grateful; they seemed like responsible guys.

markm

http://www.hunt101.com/data/552/medium/Tahoe_National_Forest_Volunteer_Clean-up_2011_006.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/552/medium/Tahoe_National_Forest_Volunteer_Clean-up_2011_004.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/552/medium/Tahoe_National_Forest_Volunteer_Clean-up_2011_003.jpg

NorCalRedneck
06-05-2011, 4:25 PM
Wow you did an awesome job there. I was at those two sites about a month ago and they looked MUCH worse than that. I usually bring a hefty bag of crap out when I go there because I just have my Jeep and not much room.

Also good to know about the free trash dumping.

markm
06-12-2011, 8:24 AM
Hey Norcal Redneck,

The fee waiver for dumping is not automatic. You must make prior arrangements with the Forest Service and follow their protocols. I am assuming that the fee waiver is based on a case by case evaluation by FS personnel. I don't work for the FS, so consider what I have written as hearsay. Call or email the FS in your area.

On volunteering, this is what I have found (an iteration: I am not a FS employee, and therefore do not know FS protocol; consult with the FS for accurate info).

Officially volunteering means having a FS signed volunteer agreement. If the authorizing officer does not sign it, it is not a valid document.

In order for the volunteer agreement to be signed by the authorizing officer (the District Ranger) it must be completely and correctly filled out, including disclosure of existing medical conditions.

When both parties sign it, it is a legal document.

Volunteering has some responsibilities:
--Reading and signing a Job Hazard Analysis. The JHA provides information as how to conduct the activity safely, such as wearing the necessary PPE.
--When someone signs up as a volunteer they review a JHA, and the JHA is periodically reviewed again.
--If something is missing from the JHA, for example there is some tool that would be used that is not covered in the JHA, giving ample notice to us so that the JHA can be improved/revised, or training provided. Some tools, such as chainsaw use, requires FS certification of training and this is scheduled only once a year.
--Following all the requirements in the JHA.
--Volunteer agreements are only valid for one year, expiring each calendar year.
--The number of hours that a volunteer volunteers must be provided to the volunteer coordinator by the end of September every year.
--Letting the Forest Service know of successes, problems, conflicts, etc. including sending photos (both before and after are great documentation), etc.
--Leaving the coordinator a telephone message, or email, as far in advance as possible about your plans to volunteer (date, time, where, why, etc.).

I hope this helps.

The FS seems very cooperative with volunteers, and wants the experience to be positive for both parties.

markm

unamused
06-17-2011, 9:33 PM
Hello Calgunners,

I was on the Tahoe NF today. I loaded my truck with range rubbish and hauled it to the transfer station on Foresthill Road. I was charged nothing to dump the load thanks to FS employees Mo and Kay. They have an arrangement with the transfer station that allows volunteers to dump Forest trash at no charge to the volunteer.

Furthermore, Mo and Kay gave me a form that officially makes me a volunteer and covers me for tort claims and injury compensation. A volunteer must wear boots, a hard hat, gloves, and etc.

I am going to sign the document and deliver it to the Ranger station the next time I am on Forest Hill. Once the Ranger approves the app, I am covered.

The two sites that I cleaned-up need more work. There is probably one more truckload of trash at these sites. I got most of the big stuff. The big site has more trash that is not in view.

It was a rewarding experience. I met two shooters at one site and they were grateful; they seemed like responsible guys.

markm

http://www.hunt101.com/data/552/medium/Tahoe_National_Forest_Volunteer_Clean-up_2011_006.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/552/medium/Tahoe_National_Forest_Volunteer_Clean-up_2011_004.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/552/medium/Tahoe_National_Forest_Volunteer_Clean-up_2011_003.jpg

Id be willing to help clean up what i can but I have no idea how to get to this spot... ive been to the other forrest hill location, just not here.

trailbuster
07-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Glad to see that there are others willing to keep this spot cleaned up. I bring out more than my share every time I am out there. We tend to be out there about 1x per month and do hit other locations to keep the shooting interesting.

I am hoping that these places can stay clean and at the same time keep the numbers of people that know about these spots down. The more people that go up there the greater the chances of a mess along with fewer opportunities for everyone to enjoy some time shooting.

As a foresthill resident I do get to dump for free ... Well it is part of the quarterly dump fees I pay as we don't have curb side trash. This makes it easy for me to load up before we pull out of these spots.

unamused
07-19-2011, 9:37 PM
I figured out how to get to the spot.

It seems to fluctuate in cleanliness. The past couple times i've been out there I take back an extra garbage bag worth of trash from others. I don't understand how people can bring things, shoot them, then just leave them there. I only shoot things I am willing to clean and bring back for that very reason... unless I shoot some sort of fruit, I'll let that stay as fertilizer! :P

El_Dorado
07-20-2011, 4:57 PM
Mark'm... thanks a bunch for your effort. As a Foresthill resident I really appreciate it when real responsible folks do what you did!

I usually bring out a bag of trash and bring it to the dump too.....

rshoemaker
07-23-2011, 7:13 PM
I wouldnt mind helping out with a range clean up, I am completely new to the area, and would need some one to go with me, but since I am not working I have plenty of time on my hands. PM me if you want to make a trip up that way with me.