PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 or SU-16?

CalGunsNoob
12-12-2006, 7:23 PM
Which do you prefer and why?

If you like another option better that's great, but let's keep it between these two.

The SoCal Gunner
12-12-2006, 7:29 PM
Didn't we just have one of these polls?

Sydwaiz
12-12-2006, 7:39 PM
Get both. Oh wait, wrong forum.

I only have experience with the Mini. I have two, a standard and a ranch model and both perform flawlessly. I will get an SU-16 someday. I like the fact that the SU accepts AR mags which I have a bunch of and also that the mags go straight in unlike the Mini that have to be angled and tilted to latch. I also like how the SU folds in half. The Mini is a proven design but the SU is innovative. I think the Mini is better built right now. I've heard the SU is more accurate than the Mini. It's a tough decision but I would get both!

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 7:45 PM
I don't think we have enough threads about it yet, almost as many as the PS90. Search?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=20987&highlight=mini-14+su-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38782&highlight=mini-14+su-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32866&highlight=mini-14+su-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=39094&highlight=mini-14+su-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=24641&highlight=mini-14+su-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=20987&highlight=mini-14+su-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=21189&highlight=mini-14+su-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=21734&highlight=mini-14+su-16

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 7:46 PM
Didn't we just have one of these polls?
Just a couple ;) , see above.

CalGunsNoob
12-12-2006, 7:53 PM
I don't think we have enough threads about it yet, almost as many as the PS90. Search?

We have lots of duplicate threads and many questions are asked over and over. It's the nature of a public forum.

My advice to you would be if you're not interested in a thread perhaps you should ignore it rather than giving it life.

five.five-six
12-12-2006, 7:57 PM
We have lots of duplicate threads and many questions are asked over and over. It's the nature of a public forum.

My advice to you would be if you're not interested in a thread perhaps you should ignore it rather than giving it life.

btt :eek:

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 7:58 PM

Perhaps you should view it as me taking the time to give you PAGES of answers to your question and taking the time to search for you. If I know that this has been discussed and an answer to your question can be found by searching should I not help you? Or maybe you don't like having the answer given to you.

Consider this the last time that I try to help you out.

CalGunsNoob
12-12-2006, 8:03 PM
Perhaps you should view it as me taking the time to give you PAGES of answers to your question and taking the time to search for you. If I know that this has been discussed and an answer to your question can be found by searching should I not help you? Or maybe you don't like having the answer given to you.

Consider this the last time that I try to help you out.

You and I both know you weren't posting that to help out. You were doing it as a little snide post.

As i said above, the board is full of topics that repeat. Someone just asked about at SKS/SU-16, so this SU-16/Mini popped into mind.

If the post upset you you'd have been better served to simply ignore it.

The SoCal Gunner
12-12-2006, 8:06 PM

You're right, it is the nature of a public forum but when the same question is asked repeatedly, some members decide to ignore the thread because they have already given their opinions.

Look at the threads that were provided. They provide plently of info. OTH, don't look at em since you already knew they were asked and don't want the information that was posted a week or two ago but instead want more up to date info.

edit: I pick up my mini this Sat.

11Z50
12-12-2006, 8:10 PM
I agree. It's the internet, and we should all realize that although someone has posted volumes in the past on issues and pontifications, others may not be privy. Are we or not trying to attract younger shooters? I will always be available to those who ask. The snooty ones who scream "CHECK THE SEARCH FUNCTION" were also young once. I tire of the attitude.

11Z50
12-12-2006, 8:11 PM
By the way, although I'm a great Ruger fan......I do prefer the SU.

The SoCal Gunner
12-12-2006, 8:15 PM
I agree. It's the internet, and we should all realize that although someone has posted volumes in the past on issues and pontifications, others may not be privy. Are we or not trying to attract younger shooters? I will always be available to those who ask. The snooty ones who scream "CHECK THE SEARCH FUNCTION" were also young once. I tire of the attitude.

I'm one of these 'younger shooters' you are talking about. My comment was just to let him know that it was very recently discussed with very good info. I used it myself to decide to get the mini although I don't mind getting the SU16 also.

I used to post redundent questions but found that the search option is very helpful. No need to wait for people to post because the information is already there. Sort of like a database.

opsgtr
12-12-2006, 8:16 PM
SU16CA - With the right accessories, it's almost "black"...;)

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 8:16 PM
You and I both know you weren't posting that to help out. You were doing it as a little snide post.
Maybe I should have added a smily. The PS90 comment was meant as nothing more than a joke, since it has been discussed even more than this in the past.

If I had meant my post to be snide I would have just told you to search and not provided you with all the links.

As i said above, the board is full of topics that repeat. Someone just asked about at SKS/SU-16, so this SU-16/Mini popped into mind.
Fair enough, in my opinion the threads that I linked will provide enough reading to last you the night.

Did I seem annoyed? Quite the contrary, I was merely trying to help answer your question by providing you with the links to answer your question. I'm not annoyed or angry with you at all.

leelaw
12-12-2006, 8:20 PM

Noob,

Listen to the mod and don't get fresh or you're not going to last long around here.

Thanks.

eckerph
12-12-2006, 8:24 PM
I don't own either but have shot both, i put allot of rounds through my Buddy's Mini and only a few through an SU-16 but i just felt like the SU16 felt too cheap and it felt like i could "feel" the bolt moving when i was shooting it if that makes any sense. The mini just feels more like a rifle, the SU16 feels like a toy too me, but I'm not knocking the SU16 though, it has its merits.

CalGunsNoob
12-12-2006, 8:36 PM
Noob,

Listen to the mod and don't get fresh or you're not going to last long around here.

Thanks.

I was responding to his remark. No need to threaten me. It seems unmodlike. And if you read the date I joined it's 11 months ago...at which time I was new to CalGuns, hence the name.

Thanks

leelaw
12-12-2006, 8:38 PM
I was responding to his remark. No need to threaten me.

Thanks

Noob,

No need to get sensitive when you are called on posting a (seriously) duplicated topic, or getting fresh with moderators.

Thanks.

CalGunsNoob
12-12-2006, 8:40 PM
Noob,

No need to get sensitive when you are called on posting a (seriously) duplicated topic, or getting fresh with moderators.

Thanks.

You're the only one getting fresh here by jumping in and attacking me. Perhaps a little more self-control is in order. Being a mod doesn't give you liberty to be snide with people and if anything you should have a greater degree of patience.

Thanks.

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 8:41 PM
I was responding to his remark.
Thanks
I'm just curious which "remark" of mine irked you so much?

CalGunsNoob
12-12-2006, 8:46 PM
I'm just curious which "remark" of mine irked you so much?

I already indicated the issue previously. If your intent was to be funny it didn't come across that way...it came across as being snide.

slick_711
12-12-2006, 8:55 PM
I suggest everyone [of age] drinks a beer and mellows out. Maybe go clean a gun or something, the smell of a little #9 always relaxes me.

Kestryll
12-12-2006, 8:57 PM
Okay, this thread has gone as far as it needs to.

Whether this thread was a dupe or not blk has said his intent was to help and be humorous.
It is possible that Noob misunderstood the intent and became upset.

Both parties have commented and addressed that it is a misunderstanding, let's leave it at that. Further debate of intent and perception will only cause problems.
What I am going to do is lock this down and tell everyone to move on.
No harm, no foul, just miscommunication.

In the future before anyone becomes jumpy try asking, "were you trying to be sharp with me or trying to help, the comment could go either way.".
You'd be suprised how much gets lost with text and how much gets answered just by asking.