PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 sights?

PhotonSD
06-01-2011, 5:37 AM
Picking up my 500A soon. Have the rail for mounting a red dot sight, need some recommendations on best brand. Will not have much to spend, about $150. Any advice appreciated.

prc77
06-01-2011, 5:53 AM
The bead sight will serve you well. Take that $150 and spend it on ammo or a training class.

verapakill
06-01-2011, 6:02 AM
I'm with prc shot guns are not made to be shot with accuracy like a rifle. A red dot is kind of a waste of money for that gun but a flash light is a great idea and so is a pistol grip.

MossbergMan
06-01-2011, 9:29 AM
The bead sight will serve you well. Take that $150 and spend it on ammo or a training class.

+1 for this advice. A white light, a sidesaddle and possibly a sling and you're done. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Shooter.
But, I advise against putting a stock with pistol grip on a Mossberg. It puts your safety out of reach. I know Mossberg is marketing these stocks on their SPX line, but it's not advisable. It is akward to manipulate the safety while using the gun. And by akward...read: slow.
I realize there is differing opinions regarding the use of the safety with a SG, but would you carry a 1911 cocked and unlocked? Or a double action pistol cocked or an AR on "fire"? It's the same thing. You'd be walking around, off safe, with a single action trigger. It's an invitation to an ND I'd avoid with any gun.

LR

glock_this
06-01-2011, 9:39 AM
though I concur, I did spend the money on a TruGlo TG93A green sight which allows continued usage of the bead

POWG
06-01-2011, 4:51 PM
If you are Northern California, interested in learning how to shoot the shotgun at moving & stationary targets ...see my Thread in this section on the Shotgun Clinics by Target Solutions. Field, clay, HD/Tac shooters are welcome and as stated Results are Guaranteed. If at the end of the clinic you tell me you have not learned anything and/or did not have a good time. Your money is refunded less target cost @ $15.00.

POWG is out.

POWG
06-01-2011, 4:57 PM
TruGlo's are good if you don't "look" at them.

They are easy to see after you have achieved visual lock on the target as you "feel" the gun in your sight picture. When that happens ...take the shot. It feels like magic!

POWG is out.