PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of complete lower from out of state into California

Doctawho
06-01-2011, 1:42 AM
Do you guys know of any FFL that will accept a shipment of a complete OLL with no bullet button or magazine near San Francisco? I'm hoping an FFL can install a BB and magazine for me so I can start my DROS. I'm pretty sure Valkyrie Arms and Tracy Rifle+Pistol can do it but i'm hoping for an FFL that isn't 50+ miles away. Are there any middle-man FFLs that could help out as well? Thank you!

Joe
06-01-2011, 1:51 AM
If you are just trying to get a complete offlist lower(no upper attached) then you don't need a bullet button to do the dros. A complete lower does not need a bullet button because it is not a centerfire rifle without an upper attached. Most FFL's cannot and will not accept a complete rifle and install a bullet button on it though.

Doctawho
06-06-2011, 2:27 AM
I spoke with one of the more seasoned guys at my FFL and he said that a complete lower thats shipped into the state will need a BB and 10 round magazine attached. This seems like the law that allows police to give you a DUI if you aren't driving but sitting in the driver seat. It's safe to assume what you're going to do in the driver seat. I believe in this instance, it's also safe to assume that you're going to attached that complete lower to an upper and be ready to shoot.

chead
06-06-2011, 2:31 AM
Most FFL's cannot and will not accept a complete rifle and install a bullet button on it though.

Some can and will, though. Few, but it's not illegal for the ones that have the correct FFL.

Cyc Wid It
06-06-2011, 4:05 AM
I spoke with one of the more seasoned guys at my FFL and he said that a complete lower thats shipped into the state will need a BB and 10 round magazine attached. This seems like the law that allows police to give you a DUI if you aren't driving but sitting in the driver seat. It's safe to assume what you're going to do in the driver seat. I believe in this instance, it's also safe to assume that you're going to attached that complete lower to an upper and be ready to shoot.

That's not true, but if that's the way your FFL feels. I'd go elsewhere... and why not just buy a lower here out of curiosity. I can't really think of a reason to bring one in from out of state than a receiving a gift, or some special run limited edition lower that's rare.

Doctawho
06-06-2011, 4:28 AM
I was planning to get a Daniel Defense upper and I wanted to keep it a complete DD build. Its in the exact configuration I want and hes selling it for a good price. I know after its all said and done, that good price will probably be a bad price. Also, I heard rumors that DD won't be selling stripped lowers so the only option would be to get it complete and having it shipped to my FFL.

That's not true, but if that's the way your FFL feels. I'd go elsewhere... and why not just buy a lower here out of curiosity. I can't really think of a reason to bring one in from out of state than a receiving a gift, or some special run limited edition lower that's rare.

norcal-ar
06-06-2011, 5:58 AM
if you really have to have it buy a bullet button and a c-product 10rd and ship it to the person selling the lower and have them ship it it will take about 2 min to do the swap. or ship it to a middle man and have them do the work. it sucks but is what it is.

morrcarr67
06-06-2011, 9:42 AM

Right. Who's to say your not going to put a .22lr upper on it. Rimfire rifles don't need bullet buttons.

Nathan Krynn
06-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't know which and where (we file by alphabetically order not geographical location) but I have shipped hundreds of complete lowers into CA with no BB on them.

Like someone said what if it was for a 22lr.

HK Dave
06-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Complete lower does not need a bullet button nor 10 round mag. It can be used with a rimfire upper.

Although some FFLs probably don't know any better.