PDA

View Full Version : God Bless You LEO's

umie76
05-31-2011, 11:51 PM
I've been attending a program called 'Citizens Academy' here in Sacramento, which exposes the average Joe & Jane to the workings of the Law Enforcement & Justice System. The topic of this week's class was Gangs. I wouldn't have described myself as naive before starting this program, but I sure do now. Most of us (I now believe) don't have a clue as to what you deal with every day.

You're spread too thin, but there's more budget cuts on the way. Stats say crime is down, but it's really that reported crimes have decreased. The welfare program is starting to look like state sponsored terrorism in some neighborhoods. The family values of some families are f***'d up. The bad guys have some powerful guns - off Roster even! A 14 year old with a gun has no conscience...

Anyway, I'm starting to understand. You folks rock. Thank you.

Watchur6
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks you for taking an intrest and educating yourself of the realities and dangers around you. I work with the juvenile population and it seem that our 187's 245's are steadily increasing. Your right, a 14 year old with a gun is a bad combo but VERY common. It's a violent youth these days. Anyways, kudos to you for being active in your community.

Roddd
06-01-2011, 9:56 AM
These programs are a good way to see what we deal with on a regular basis. It will really open your eyes as to what other people are capable of doing to one another. If you haven't already, schedule some ride alongs and pick the officers' brains (and envoy free corndogs from Weinerschnitzel).

fullrearview
06-01-2011, 1:00 PM
I've been attending a program called 'Citizens Academy' here in Sacramento, which exposes the average Joe & Jane to the workings of the Law Enforcement & Justice System. The topic of this week's class was Gangs. I wouldn't have described myself as naive before starting this program, but I sure do now. Most of us (I now believe) don't have a clue as to what you deal with every day.

You're spread too thin, but there's more budget cuts on the way. Stats say crime is down, but it's really that reported crimes have decreased. The welfare program is starting to look like state sponsored terrorism in some neighborhoods. The family values of some families are f***'d up. The bad guys have some powerful guns - off Roster even! A 14 year old with a gun has no conscience...

Anyway, I'm starting to understand. You folks rock. Thank you.

Is this the one through SSD??? If so, Sac is no joke. It's full of great people and I hope to work for them again some day... If I didn't have mouths to feed, I would have never left through the layoffs, but the wife and kids are priority number one!

umie76
06-01-2011, 2:03 PM
Is this the one through SSD??? If so, Sac is no joke. It's full of great people and I hope to work for them again some day...

Yes - it's a program coordinated by SSD, SPD, & the DA. Excellent presentations by the many organizations that are part of the system. Here's a link to the brochure for 2011: http://www.sacda.org/assets/pdf/ca/CA_11.pdf (you might have to copy & paste this one to the address bar - click didn't work for me)

and the main page: http://www.sacda.org/community/ca/ca.app.php

Attendance at this program should be mandatory for every elected official before they are allowed to even touch a budget.

fullrearview
06-01-2011, 9:39 PM
Attendance at this program should be mandatory for every elected official before they are allowed to even touch a budget.

God, ain't that the truth!

Notorious
06-02-2011, 8:50 PM
Thank you. It is nice to hear from someone who took the time to see for themselves before making their statement about law enforcement.

ZombieTactics
06-03-2011, 9:54 AM
Placer County has a similar program. It's tremendous way to spend some spare time.

beertinted
06-03-2011, 2:53 PM
Thanks for the motivation, I've been wanting to do this for quite a bit. I just sent a letter to my (Napa) PD to see if anything similar is available here.

J_B
06-03-2011, 6:26 PM
Yes - it's a program coordinated by SSD, SPD, & the DA. Excellent presentations by the many organizations that are part of the system. Here's a link to the brochure for 2011: http://www.sacda.org/assets/pdf/ca/CA_11.pdf (you might have to copy & paste this one to the address bar - click didn't work for me)

and the main page: http://www.sacda.org/community/ca/ca.app.php

Thank you for spending your own time and going through the class! I've had a ride a long from the class in the past.

I didn't know it was offered until one cold, dark, day in briefing my Sgt pointed to me and said I would be getting a ride a long.....as I huddled in the corner trying to not make eye contact.

Actually had a good time.

kpoeun
06-03-2011, 7:15 PM
It's only gonna get worst, be prepare guys my generation is gonna be tough their releasing 45000 inmates in the next two years and we can't be at every place when crimes occur plus layoffs and budget cuts aren't helping