PDA

View Full Version : corrosive?

easy
12-12-2006, 6:02 PM
How do you tell if the ammo you bought is corrosive or not? Trust the seller? Shoot it and see if you get rust?

12-12-2006, 6:06 PM
What kind of ammo did you get??

easy
12-12-2006, 6:21 PM
Just a learning question. Did not buy, yet.

762cavalier
12-12-2006, 6:26 PM
You can tell if ammo is corrosive or not by finding out what caliber it is and then looking at the headstamp. Most (not all) milsurp ammo is corrosive. All 7.62x54 milsurp ammo is corrosive. Most milsurp 8mm mauser is. 30/06 depends on who made it american and greek is generally non-corrosive (some exceptions for american) Korean 30/06 -KA headstamp is corrosive PA headstamp is non corrosive. ALL Swiss ammo is non corrosive. 7.62x39 depends on country of origin and date. Hope this helps

If you can tell us what calibre you are buying then we can pinpoint whether or not it is corrosive:D

12-12-2006, 6:33 PM
Ammo like 7.62x54R is all corrosive as far as I have seen. If you have questions on a particular ammo, I'm sure that someone on here could tell you for sure. If you ever have any doubts, you can always just clean your gun afterward like you shot corrosive ammo.

tteng
12-12-2006, 6:42 PM
If you're refering to surplus ammo for Mosin-nagants & 8mm Mausers. I would assume anything older than 30yrs are corrosive; actually I would assume all surplus ammo(for C&R firearms) to be corrosive just on the safe side. It adds about extra 10-min cleaning (using hot water) to rid the salt after each shooting session. Why trust your C&R to some vendor's word?

M. Sage
12-12-2006, 7:10 PM
If you're refering to surplus ammo for Mosin-nagants & 8mm Mausers. I would assume anything older than 30yrs are corrosive; actually I would assume all surplus ammo(for C&R firearms) to be corrosive just on the safe side.

+1. When in doubt, treat it as corrosive.

It adds about extra 10-min cleaning (using hot water) to rid the salt after each shooting session. Why trust your C&R to some vendor's word?

Nah, it doesn't take an extra ten minutes per firearm... five tops. You're gonna clean it anyway, right?