View Full Version : SKS or Kel-tec SU-16*

12-12-2006, 4:41 PM
Based on performance, ammo availabilty, etc. Which would you chooe and WHY?

12-12-2006, 4:42 PM
Wow...thats a good question... From how things are going.. i would op for a SKS....

12-12-2006, 4:46 PM
I think that I would go with a SKS too. Its a proven design. I have been hearing a lot of negative things about the SU16 such as receivers blowing up and such. Its a shame, because I like the idea and wouldn't mind getting one if they worked the problems out.

12-12-2006, 5:02 PM
How long have you had and how many rounds have you fired through it?

12-12-2006, 5:03 PM
the sks would be cheaper as would ammo but i have way more fun with my kel-tec i dont even shoot the sks anymore i have had no problems with the kel-tec su-16ca if go with the kel-tec get a su-16ca

12-12-2006, 5:04 PM
For the price of an SU-16 you should be able to find a nice Russian SKS and still have funds left over for ammo.

An SKS is more robust...milled, chrome-lined bore....and it's a piece of Cold War history.

The SU-16 will have an edge in accuracy, but the SKS is plenty sufficient for its intended role.

As you may have noticed, 7.62x39 ammo has increased in cost.

I still vote SKS....find a nice Russian one.

The Soup Nazi
12-12-2006, 5:10 PM
We have both over here. Definately take a Russian SKS over the SU-16CA. They're both good guns, but you know you can use the first one as a stabbing or bludgening object without breaking it.

12-12-2006, 5:14 PM
Even after almost 100% price increase in a year, 7.62x39 is still the lowest price non-corrosive ammo. SKS will save you a lot of money.

12-12-2006, 5:19 PM
I'd say slight edge to the SU-16, especially if you have some pre-ban mags laying around. I have owned both, and although the SKS is a solid weapon, the SU is light, handy, more accurate, and alot of fun to shoot. Of course, you can butt-stroke somebody better with the SKS, but I've been out of that business for some time now. As for ammo, .223 and 7.62X39 are about the same price. The SU is much more optics-friendly out of the box.

My SU-16B shoots great with anything I cram in the mags. I have at least 2k through it now, with 2 or 3 hiccups, nothing serious. As good or better than my Mini-14 and I get to use all my pre-ban mags. IMHO for a PRK-legal centerfire semi-auto, you can't beat the SU. At least for now. (I can hear the flames coming from the OLL crew)

12-12-2006, 5:20 PM
An SKS will last the rest of your life, I dont think the SU 16 will.

12-12-2006, 5:24 PM
I already have a ChiCom SKS, so I might be a little askew.
I would get the SU16 for the detachable mags, that would be a next level of ban attempts. (though the SKS also seems heavily hated)

12-12-2006, 5:26 PM
Some SKSs...

And you can decorate your home with a poster....

12-12-2006, 6:17 PM
Well there is a pretty big cost difference but I like the SU-16 better. I bought a Yugo SKS as a cheap semi-auto plinker but the cost of 7.62x39 has gone up so much that it costs just about the same amount to shoot 223/556. The SU-16 is more accurate and more optics friendly. SKS is more rugged but I doubt I'll ever have the need to use my rifle as a club.

If you go Kel-tec, get the CA model. Heavier barrel, threaded barrel end, and better iron sights.

Richie Rich
12-12-2006, 6:24 PM
As often stated on another board..

Thats what I am doing..

12-12-2006, 6:48 PM
What he said!!

E Pluribus Unum
12-13-2006, 7:21 AM

4.5 lbs

30 round detachable magazine

All stores that sell ammo, sell .223. If you run out of ammo in the field it will be more difficult finding SKS ammo.

12-13-2006, 8:06 AM
I like my SKS... sure, I'd like to get a su-16, but the SKS is proven through 60 years of use.... plus they are cheaper. On the other hand, I like detachable mags......

12-13-2006, 9:43 AM
I own an extremely nice russian SKS so I'm probably biased (though I don't hold the chicom or yugo versions in such high regard). That said, the SKS WILL be the more reliable of the two both at the range and when you're doing a low crawl through the muck.

It may not be as accurate (though with certian cheap and easy upgrades I'm not so sure) but it will be much more than enough for any situation anyone on this board would ever encounter unless your last name is Hathcock.

+1 for the commie gun

12-13-2006, 11:58 AM
I have both, but there is one factor that should enter in. I went both due to DOJ foolishness that might have made SKS's illegal, but now I have to stock yet another round. The nice thing about the SU-16 is that it eats the same food as your OLL's.

12-13-2006, 1:57 PM
I would go with the Russian. The fix mag works great and you could always use it with your cumbersome detachable SKS mags that you bought in the

12-13-2006, 2:51 PM
Careful there arguy.

SKS with Detachable Magazine is banned. That's not the whole story, but until the whole story is explained it would be best to refrain from trying to use detachable's with an SKS.

That's another small plus of the SU-16.

12-13-2006, 5:37 PM
Be careful about what? A Russian style SKS is no more an SKS than a Stag is a AR15. Maybe even less being that there never has been a SKS series law. Only rifles I know of that are "SKS's" were made in China.

M. Sage
12-13-2006, 5:52 PM
I'm REALLY thinking about getting an SKS... I've been considering saving more money and getting a SU-16... OTOH, I should probably just fly out and get my loaned M1 Carbine back, then I won't need either. :P

Actually, SKS is Soviet thing. SKS-45 stands for (translated): "Simonov Self-loading Carbine, model 1945." The Chicom version is the Type 56 Carbine. Or the Norinco SKS, I guess.

All stores that sell ammo, sell .223. If you run out of ammo in the field it will be more difficult finding SKS ammo.

If you find yourself in that kind of situation, why wouldn't you have picked up a BG's gun somewhere along the way? :rolleyes: Silly, just silly. :p

12-13-2006, 6:27 PM
I had the same questions and desided to get both. The SKS is more reliable then the SU-16CA, although i think i got that fixed (the gas rod ontop of the barrel was "loose" by a quarter turn, locktited it up and it seems to work alot better). The SKS stock seemed to short for me, but i just got an aftermarket one and I think that will fix that. The thing I like the most about the SU-16CA is the fact it folds in half, fits underneath the back seat of my truck real nice plus it uses ar mags.

All in all they are both good guns, if you want something cheap and solid, get the SKS, if you want something compact and fun, get the SU-16

12-13-2006, 6:51 PM
Fixed mag SKSs work terrific as is...

~You can charge the fixed mag rapidly with strippers.

~You can carry more ammo in a 'ready to fire' configuration on stripper clips than you can in mags.

~The fixed mag gives the rifle a fairly flush profile and allows you to get low to the ground...a consideration for those who like SHTF stuff.

~You won't lose the mag...and it's solid, robust, and reliable.

All in all I think the SKS* is a fine rifle as is. Sometimes I think the advantage of a detachable mag gets somewhat exaggerated..sure it has it's advantages...but a fixed mag design like the SKS does as well. Now when it comes to a fixed mag AR-type rifle it's another story entirely.

*I just use the term casually to apply to all SKS pattern rifles.

12-13-2006, 8:14 PM
I haven't shot an sks yet, but would definately want one. I do own a su-16ca and have shot about 750 rds without any problems. I think it's a great rifle. The wife loves it.

12-13-2006, 8:29 PM
Replacement parts are easier and cheaper to find for an SKS than an SU-16. SKS is a military proven design.

12-13-2006, 8:40 PM

It is all about what it says on the side. My 1953 Russian has those three little letters on it...