PDA

View Full Version : build advice :)

Cornelius
05-31-2011, 7:46 PM
Picking up a Remington 700 5R, .308 tomorrow and wanted some advice on some glass, and rings and all that kind of stuff. Going to be shooting out to 600 yards max mostly, since that's as far as the range near my house goes.

Thanks for any help,
Corey.

Z.1
05-31-2011, 7:53 PM
After doing some research, I settled on DNZ game reaper one-piece rings/mounts. I have a Winchester M70, but they CNC machine them from aluminum for each specific model.

I've shot with them a few times and they're great! No need to bed or lap, they fit both the receiver and the scope like a glove. They also hold up to recoil perfectly, I have them on my 30-06 and no problems. They run about $50-$60 as i recall.

ETA: I'm also running a Vortex Viper 3-9x40. Real clear glass, Argon-filled. It was pretty cheap but quality is that of pricy-er competitors. Also comes with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. Run it over with your truck, send it back to them, and they'll replace it, no problem. Don't know what you're looking to spend - this is on the cheaper end though.

MongooseV8
05-31-2011, 7:58 PM
+1 DeadNutz GameReaper mount. The best way to go and they dont cost a whole lot. All my scoped rifles have one.

damon1272
05-31-2011, 8:05 PM
On my 700 R I run the Warne rings with a Leupold mount. For glass I am using a 4x14x50 Luepold varmint scope (the one with teh cresent cut out of the lens. Also using a jewel trigger. Works great.

Cornelius
06-02-2011, 1:07 AM
After doing some research, I settled on DNZ game reaper one-piece rings/mounts. I have a Winchester M70, but they CNC machine them from aluminum for each specific model.

I've shot with them a few times and they're great! No need to bed or lap, they fit both the receiver and the scope like a glove. They also hold up to recoil perfectly, I have them on my 30-06 and no problems. They run about $50-$60 as i recall.

ETA: I'm also running a Vortex Viper 3-9x40. Real clear glass, Argon-filled. It was pretty cheap but quality is that of pricy-er competitors. Also comes with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. Run it over with your truck, send it back to them, and they'll replace it, no problem. Don't know what you're looking to spend - this is on the cheaper end though.

I was checking out those rings/mounts. There is a choice for "remington 700" then there's "remington 700 long range MOA"

What's the difference on the two??

Also, once I click on either of those, there's a bunch of other choices. Low, high, tactical. Point me in the right direction please :D

Thanks!

kozumasbullitt
06-02-2011, 1:37 AM
I like badger stuff but anything posted above is good to go. The rule of thumb is $1 (or more) per yard for optics and I am partial to nightforce optics myself.