PDA

View Full Version : M&P15 Sport ????

tim12232
05-31-2011, 6:08 PM
So I will be moving out of the state for good in a few months and was wondering if I pick up the above mentioned CA legal carbine, will I be able to take out that bullet button and swap in a standard mag release when out of CA?
Turners has a pretty sweet deal on it right now, and am thinking about picking one up. This would be my first AR style rifle, and would appreciate the help. I have looked online here and other places. Thanks for your patience with the newb!

Tim

rromeo
05-31-2011, 6:25 PM
It's most likely as easy as removing the mag lock and installing a standard release button.

tim12232
06-01-2011, 12:07 AM
I was hoping so! it can be tricky making sure certain parts aren't proprietary.

I also noticed the lack of dust cover and forward assist, I believe at that point im looking at a whole different lower receiver correct? or can a dust cover be added?

Thanks again

Tim

Cyc Wid It
06-01-2011, 12:18 AM
The dust cover and forward assist are part of the upper, not the lower. You will need a new upper receiver for these features.

rromeo
06-01-2011, 1:39 AM
If you feel that you need a dust cover and forward assist, then pick up a different rifle to start with. S&W leaves those features off for economy, but sometimes you can find a sale on a standard M&P model for close to the same price. Where I live, FFL fees average $25 so ordering online is still a good idea.

Ed_Hazard
06-01-2011, 1:51 AM
If you feel that you need a dust cover and forward assist, then pick up a different rifle to start with. S&W leaves those features off for economy, but sometimes you can find a sale on a standard M&P model for close to the same price. Where I live, FFL fees average $25 so ordering online is still a good idea.

Also the lower is not mil-spec, the trigger guard is integral to the lower. While this might not be a big issue to some it can limit future upgrades. I personally would pass and save up for the standard M&P.

1forall
06-01-2011, 5:30 AM
If I were you, I'd just wait until I moved to make the purchase. What's the rush...save yourself the trouble.

tim12232
06-01-2011, 8:49 AM
If I were you, I'd just wait until I moved to make the purchase. What's the rush...save yourself the trouble.

Yah, seems to make the most sense, no loopholes to jump through and get the rifle I want or at least set up how i want.

Thanks everyone!

Tim