PDA

View Full Version : Duty/Off-Duty Gun

Roddd
05-31-2011, 6:04 PM
I haven't met many officers who carry the gun they carry on duty off duty as well. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

Jonathan Doe
05-31-2011, 7:49 PM
I carry Sig P226 9mm on and off duty. Once in a while, I carry a S&W 342 Scandium
when I dress lightly.

vmcdonnell
05-31-2011, 8:27 PM
The P226 is SO big! Do you find it difficult to conceal? How do you carry off duty?

vmcdonnell
05-31-2011, 8:28 PM
And yes, that's a P226 .40 I'm shooting in my profile picture :)

mag360
05-31-2011, 8:52 PM
close friend of mine is LEO he carries on/off duty his G17. not an issue to him. He has a g26 as well but last time I saw him he wasn't carrying it.

bluestaterebel
05-31-2011, 9:02 PM
I haven't met many officers who carry the gun they carry on duty off duty as well. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

It's very common.

solanoshooter
05-31-2011, 9:25 PM
Carry a Glock 17 on duty. Actually, I'm carrying a 19 because I'm in a plain clothes assignment. Lately off-duty I've been carrying a G36 or a Sig P238.

The only time I've ever carried an issued weapon off duty was right after I lateraled and hadn't qualified on anything. I don't know anyone off the top of my head that carries their duty weapon off duty.

9mmepiphany
05-31-2011, 9:55 PM
When I carried them as duty guns, I've carried my Sig 220 or Beretta 96 off duty as well...when the weather warmed up, I'd carry a Sig 228.

When our department went to Sigs, a lot of the guys were carrying their .40 229s both on and off-duty

Roddd
05-31-2011, 10:30 PM
I carry a Glock 21 on and off duty and was just curious on everyone's take on the matter. I read an article in PoliceMag about off duty shootings and the 21 seems more practical than a small revolver that most of my coworkers carry off duty. My 21 isn't as easy to conceal but it's one heck of a security blanket.

TRICKSTER
05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
I carry a Glock 21 on and off duty and was just curious on everyone's take on the matter. I read an article in PoliceMag about off duty shootings and the 21 seems more practical than a small revolver that most of my coworkers carry off duty. My 21 isn't as easy to conceal but it's one heck of a security blanket.

I carried the Glock 21 as primary and Glock 30 as BUG and OD. I liked the idea that my extra 21 mags could be used in the 30. OD I carried the 30 with a spare 21 mag.

How in the world do you conceal the 21?

Roddd
06-01-2011, 12:09 AM
You have to dress around the gun. Long t shirts help. Reaching for something on the top shelf at walmart usually gets me some interesting looks though. I carry it in a serpa paddle holster and it stays snug to my body.

biochembruin
06-01-2011, 7:46 AM
You have to dress around the gun. Long t shirts help. Reaching for something on the top shelf at walmart usually gets me some interesting looks though. I carry it in a serpa paddle holster and it stays snug to my body.

Be careful with that, you will get proned out one day, and that's the first step to a blue on blue shooting.

Roddd
06-01-2011, 9:51 AM
My flat badge is right next to it. If I get proned out, I get proned out...no harm no foul. It's surprisingly well-concealed. I routinely get stopped by local LE in my city while walking my dog (must be the tattoos) and I let the contact go on for a few minutes before identifying myself as LE. They never even notice. My rationale behind carrying a full size gun is if I'm in an actual gunfight, I want the best tool for the job. I'm not out there trying to percent 211s at the local stop-n-rob, it's more for being confronted by some gangbanger who I've hooked before.

1911su16b870
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM

+1 I do also...duty G21 and off-duty Olive Drab G21 FTW

BigDogatPlay
06-01-2011, 2:02 PM
Early on in my travels I read an article written by Evan Marshall (IIRC) proposing to avoid a wholly different gun for off duty carry as it would, potentially, shoot to a completely different place as the duty gun. That was in the days of revolvers as standard, where grip dimensions could / would vary widely between a K, L or N frame holster gun and a J frame for off duty and differences in barrel length and sights could radically alter points of impact in a stress situation. I figured it was pretty good advice and stuck with K frame S&W's on the street and away from it.

The last several years I was on I carried a P226 in .40 on duty, and usually had it with me off duty as well. Once in a while I'd switch out to a P230 in .380.

DEPUTYBILL
06-01-2011, 2:23 PM
Sig 226 on duty,Sig 226ST off duty. Sometimes a Sig229 since you can reload with 226 mag. I carry in a blade-tech ITW holster. I am big framed so no problem with carry off duty.

Jonathan Doe
06-01-2011, 5:37 PM
The P226 is SO big! Do you find it difficult to conceal? How do you carry off duty?

I never really feel it. When I wear a suit or a jacket, nobody notices it. Actually, when I took my pistol out of my holster to put in my bag, my friend was surprised that I was armed for the whole time I was with him for several hours.

Most times, I carry it in my small utility bag, not a fanny pack, and people do not even look. I also have a samll agenda looking case that I bought from Dillon. It is nice and compact, and accommodates a P226 and a spare magazine.

Jack L
06-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I never really thought about you LEOs having to look over your shoulder when off duty for possible perps you helped put away or at least arrested. I see why you would go bigger with more rounds at your disposal. And that's why the general public should never ***** about what your are paid.

biochembruin
06-02-2011, 1:06 PM
My flat badge is right next to it. If I get proned out, I get proned out...no harm no foul. It's surprisingly well-concealed. I routinely get stopped by local LE in my city while walking my dog (must be the tattoos) and I let the contact go on for a few minutes before identifying myself as LE. They never even notice. My rationale behind carrying a full size gun is if I'm in an actual gunfight, I want the best tool for the job. I'm not out there trying to percent 211s at the local stop-n-rob, it's more for being confronted by some gangbanger who I've hooked before.

I understand and agree. Getting proned out isn't the issue. The issue with me would be getting proned out by some overanxious officer who thinks you made a wrong move and shoots you. A well hidden gun is the first step to preventing that. And having other people give you "interesting looks" when you reach for things could be dangerous in that regard. That being said, I've never had a problem hiding a full size gun, although I do give up some comfort to do it.

I'm sure you know all that, but that was the point I was trying to make.

cmoore
06-02-2011, 1:24 PM
I carry my SA 1911 MC Operator @ work and all over....

retired
06-02-2011, 4:55 PM
I understand and agree. Getting proned out isn't the issue. The issue with me would be getting proned out by some overanxious officer who thinks you made a wrong move and shoots you. A well hidden gun is the first step to preventing that. And having other people give you "interesting looks" when you reach for things could be dangerous in that regard. That being said, I've never had a problem hiding a full size gun, although I do give up some comfort to do it.

I'm sure you know all that, but that was the point I was trying to make.

To expand on that, I would refer you to the LASD video explaining the LAPD stop of two LASD detectives in Sheriff's raid jackets, driving a plain car and in the County area. When they came to explain the incident in detail and show the video (hilarious) they told us they thought they were going to be shot and were seconds away from going for their guns when the LAPD sgt. finally had the light go off in his head and a potentially tragic incident was averted.

I'm just saying, if two on duty deputies in a det. car, wearing the dept. raid jackets and in the county area can almost get shot by officers, biochembruin's point is well made.

haodoken
06-02-2011, 5:47 PM

I carry glock 21 SF with light on duty. Can't say carried it any time other than on duty. Too large to conceal that. :D Use Ruger LCP or Springfield XD9 Sub Compact for off-duty carry.

oddjob
06-02-2011, 7:10 PM
1911 on duty and a S&W 640 or Colt Det Special off duty. I'm now retired and so the 640 or Colt det Spec is with me.

Notorious
06-02-2011, 8:47 PM
I did carry a full sized Beretta 92FS and also my Glock 21 off duty for a while but it was not very comfortable nor recommended. It was definitely hard to dress around the gun and the weight on your hip sucks for casual dress. As soon as I got my Glock 26, I changed that. Now that I got the Taurus 709, I hardly carry the Glock 26 either. Must be my old age.

Comfort means a lot more to me now. I think I should be good with 15 rounds on me.

s&mcqbrecon
06-03-2011, 4:12 AM
S&W 4506 on and G26 off. I tried to carry that smith off duty but did not like having an engine block in or around my waist. Waiting on a Smith Recon 45. Some what smaller and lighter. If it works off duty i may carry it on and off. Just want to carry at least the same weapon system if not the same one. +1 on the SA 1911 MC Operator.

SoCalDep
06-03-2011, 8:06 AM
I've carried full size guns (92FS, 4506, USP45, P226R) off duty. They aren't as comfortable but they are comforting.

Up until last year my main off-duty gun was a S&W4513TSW in an IWB holster. I was happy with that pistol but wanted an option of higher capacity. I traded into a new S&W M&P9C with CTC grips and picked up a Desantis copy of the Crossbreed-style holsters. I didn't think I'd like the Desantis but it's very comfortable. The M&P is a great little gun and shoots very well for a compact. It's 13rd capacity is backed up by a full-size 17rd mag. I think it's the best of both worlds....Small but accurate and controllable with high capacity. I'm severely tempted to pick up an M&P for duty use as well for complete consistency and interchangeability.

I think dedicated "gun people" cops are more likely to carry an effective off-duty weapon while others are more likely to throw a 5-shot in their pocket or carry nothing. That's where I see the bigger problem. I don't know many deputies (save some of the older (sorry) guys who trained on the revolver) who can effectively manipulate and accurately fire a small revolver.

Based on the above, I think my department in particular (and probably others as well) needs to take a hard look at off duty weapons policy and training. Going back to the late 90's we have had several deputies killed in off-duty incidents (Shayne York, Maria Rosa, Juan Escalante) and others prevail in them. The need is there and we owe it to our partners to give them the tactical tools to effectively use the off-duty weapons we encourage them to carry.

We need to look at why deputies "don't" carry off duty and try to change the attitudes through effective training and equipment options. Sadly, I don't think full-size pistols are the answer for the majority of law enforcement officers, save making it mandatory to carry off duty (This won't happen with my agency).

ap3572001
06-03-2011, 3:36 PM
MOST of the time , off duty I carry a Glock 23 with one spare magazine ( now its a 22 round magazine:). Plus a heavy Benhmade folder.
I have good leather and can carry all this even in shorts and a T-Shirt.

Sometimes in the summer I pack 2 1/2" or a 3" 6 shot S&W K-frame revolver and a speed loader.
I use +p+ loads and shoot revolvers REALLY well.

I carry all the time and most peopel I know do the same.

tyrist
06-03-2011, 3:43 PM
If I can carry a full size firearm I will but everything depends on what I am wearing or where I am going.

lavgrunt
06-04-2011, 7:50 AM
I don't carry off duty...........My hands are classified as 'lethal weapons....'

.......Aways watch the hands.........

SByota
06-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Glock 34 with Surefire X200 on duty, Glock 19 off duty

retired
06-04-2011, 9:41 PM
I don't know many deputies (save some of the older (sorry) guys who trained on the revolver) who can effectively manipulate and accurately fire a small revolver.

Gee, I wonder who you are referring to SoCalDep.:p:D

I carried my little 5 shot S&W model 60 my whole career as both a back up and off duty due to the dept's restrictive policy. I never shot higher than 247 out of 300, but I was shooting at BC with the targets at 25yrd.

The Model 15 issued revolver was too big to carry off duty and when we went to the 92f, the dept. allowed the Cougar, but not the Mini-Cougar. The Cougar was not that much smaller than the 92f, so I was stuck with the 5 shot.

I know things have changed since I left and there are thankfully more options for the deputies. Once I retired, I bought a XD 9mm subcompact and carry that as my ccw with an extra mag. My revolver is retired.

copter976
06-05-2011, 1:22 AM
The H&K USP Compact 40 works really well (for me, anyways...). Either an IWB holster or a Blade-Tech paddle holster are my preferences. While I absolutely LOVE my FNP-45, it IS a rather large gun, and doesn't conceal very well...

Bobby Ricigliano
06-05-2011, 4:04 AM
M&P 9mm FS with light on duty. Same w/o light off duty. M642 as a hot weather option.

Uhhlexxxis
06-05-2011, 5:04 AM
Pretty much most of the guys I work with all carry off duty... small county means more like to run into the guys you've hooked. I've seen several people outside the uniform and they rarely recognize me but you never know.

Jared1981
06-07-2011, 6:12 PM
HK P2000 at work.
G20 in woods.
G29 or Kimber Ultra Covert 2 for concealed carry.

For open carry (not in CA)...
G20 or full size Kimber Ultra Covert 2.

Notorious
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
HK P2000 at work.
G20 in woods.
G29 or Kimber Ultra Covert 2 for concealed carry.

For open carry (not in CA)...
G20 or full size Kimber Ultra Covert 2.

G20 in the woods? You trying to clear the whole forest with one shot and burn it all down and make it uninhabitable for the next 200 years while the fallout clears?

Jared1981
06-08-2011, 9:36 AM
G20 in the woods? You trying to clear the whole forest with one shot and burn it all down and make it uninhabitable for the next 200 years while the fallout clears?

LOL... The G20 is an excellent backpack gun for hiking in the Sierra Nevadas, Montana, or other remote places with big animals that may be a threat to you.

15+ 1 of high quality 10mm ammo grants a good piece of mind.

Normal factory loads even in a G20 aren't that powerful. I used a G20 at a bowling pin shoot and it was difficult to knock the pins off the table. Even plugging at the center of the pin after it was laying on the table knocked over was a project.

I personally like .45 ACP, 10mm and I'm thinking of a small S&W .357 mag

markm
06-09-2011, 7:30 AM
LOL... The G20 is an excellent backpack gun for hiking in the Sierra Nevadas, Montana, or other remote places with big animals that may be a threat to you.

15+ 1 of high quality 10mm ammo grants a good piece of mind.

Normal factory loads even in a G20 aren't that powerful. I used a G20 at a bowling pin shoot and it was difficult to knock the pins off the table. Even plugging at the center of the pin after it was laying on the table knocked over was a project.

I personally like .45 ACP, 10mm and I'm thinking of a small S&W .357 mag

Disclaimer: I am not LEO.

Is a 10 mm big enough for ursus horribilis? I have had encounters with 4 grizzlies, and in the first case, the 270 I had was not big enough! My range to the mama was 30 feet. The bear was huge. I mean humongous.

Background: I am an avid outdoorsman and have confronted quite a few bears on the trail, from Michigan to the Pacific and up in Alaska. Grizzlies can be huge and they are fast. A 44 magnum is the minimum handgun for ursus horribilis defense, IMHO.

thanks
markm

Can't buy anything here
06-09-2011, 7:48 AM
I think it's more common for younger LEOs....after a while, lugging around a full size weapon 24/7 just becomes too much...

Marty33
06-09-2011, 9:03 AM
It doesnt matter so much what you carry when OD, its the fact that you carry! Carry what you shoot well and are comfortable concealing, but please carry! I am still working on a friend of mine who refuses to carry OD, he wont even wear a gun to court, where there is obviously a very high concentration of turds.

Notorious
06-09-2011, 9:31 AM
Some are adamant about not carrying. It's drilled into them. I know a few. Very frustrating.

jermzzzzzzz
06-09-2011, 12:25 PM
What kind of cop would not want to carry Off-duty. That just baffles me.

Jared1981
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Disclaimer: I am not LEO.

Is a 10 mm big enough for ursus horribilis? I have had encounters with 4 grizzlies, and in the first case, the 270 I had was not big enough! My range to the mama was 30 feet. The bear was huge. I mean humongous.

Background: I am an avid outdoorsman and have confronted quite a few bears on the trail, from Michigan to the Pacific and up in Alaska. Grizzlies can be huge and they are fast. A 44 magnum is the minimum handgun for ursus horribilis defense, IMHO.

thanks
markm

I don't know, I do know that when the G20 came out, people in Alaska were known for carrying the G20 instead of the .44 magnum

Most people who carry are carrying something equal to a .45 acp or weaker. A 10mm has more power behind it than a .45 so by that logic I would be better off against big animals.

The G20 holds 15+1 so out of all the guns I own, I trust that one for big animals if need be. Also, the G20 is very durable, it's a low cost quality firearm. I'm not worried if it gets wet or scratched up.

Jared1981
06-09-2011, 12:49 PM

We have a guy at my work who unloads his pistol and puts it in his lock box before leaving the station. He says we are rednecks for carrying.

This guy defies logic on many levels.

When he says stuff about others carrying guns we just tell him that we are glad that he doesn't carry a gun, because someone needs to be the victim so it mine as well be him :)

RedFord150
06-09-2011, 3:17 PM

I am not LEO, I just hang around with them. Most of the LEO's I know will openly discuss their off duty choices with me. One female officer admits she does not carry off duty. She claims that without a radio and back-up, she does not want to engage anyone. She also talks about LEO's who act as if 'it is a privelege to carry around a tiny little 5 shot revolver'.
The rest of us just kind of wonder about her. Funny thing is, she is a motorcycle cop and is in great physical shape. I once watched her sprint across a small parking lot while wearing hiking boots. Her speed amazed me. I personally support LEO's carrying off duty. You guys have the training and the experience to maybe save my ____ one day. I hope you are around if I ever need the help.
BTW, I promise to help you in anyway I can while observing the law and going unarmed about my business.

Notorious
06-09-2011, 10:15 PM

The one guy I know is a good cop. He just doesn't ever want to get involved off duty and nothing I can say will change his mind.

Notorious
06-09-2011, 10:16 PM

I am not LEO, I just hang around with them. Most of the LEO's I know will openly discuss their off duty choices with me. One female officer admits she does not carry off duty. She claims that without a radio and back-up, she does not want to engage anyone. She also talks about LEO's who act as if 'it is a privelege to carry around a tiny little 5 shot revolver'.
The rest of us just kind of wonder about her. Funny thing is, she is a motorcycle cop and is in great physical shape. I once watched her sprint across a small parking lot while wearing hiking boots. Her speed amazed me. I personally support LEO's carrying off duty. You guys have the training and the experience to maybe save my ____ one day. I hope you are around if I ever need the help.
BTW, I promise to help you in anyway I can while observing the law and going unarmed about my business.

Open Carry would have prevented this.

TrailerparkTrash
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
On duty: Hk USP .45 and S&W 642 .38spl back up when worked patrol. Off duty was/is an Hk P2000 sk in 9mm. Now at the air support unit, ecerything is the same as above, but no need for the .38 snub back up. I dont have contact with the public (ie. T-stops) anymore (thank God).

Jonathan Doe
06-11-2011, 7:23 AM

I knew surprisingly large number of people who do not carry off duty.

Notorious
06-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I knew surprisingly large number of people who do not carry off duty.

Happens quite often but the number of people who admit it decreases more every time.

Every training update we have, the instructors ask who doesn't carry off duty. You used to see maybe 2 or 3 hands go up. The instructors give them a hard time and lecture them. Next few months, you see 1 or 2 hands. Then 1 hand. Now we have no hands go up. I still think they are doing the same thing and not carrying but they just don't admit it anymore.