PDA

View Full Version : Got my gas block in the mail, check out how big the box was!!!

Geofois
05-31-2011, 5:57 PM
You can see the little gas block bag next to the huge box. Wasted pounds of box and paper for something that could have gone in a lil bubble wrap envelope. Just wanted to share=)

rromeo
05-31-2011, 6:00 PM
I ordered some high temp heat shrink from MacMaster Carr once. They sent it in a 4 foot cardboard mailing tube.

killshot44
05-31-2011, 6:02 PM
That always pisses me off. Powder Valley does the same with bullets.

Droppin Deuces
05-31-2011, 6:10 PM
LaRue is the same. But most of the space is taken up by serious schwag, at least. Did you at least get some free stuff with it?

760knox
05-31-2011, 6:18 PM
Hahaha they went overboard with that shipment!

ebencikiv
05-31-2011, 6:21 PM
Might be the smallest box they have???

cmace22
05-31-2011, 6:26 PM
It may not be cheaper for them to ship any smaller boxes and therefore they dont bother to stock any smaller.

It annoying to me as well. Whats more annoying is getting charged 10 dollars to ship something that could be mailed to me in an envelope!!!

morfeeis
05-31-2011, 6:27 PM
you should have seen the 4'x3' box amazon used to send my 36" gunbag in.....

daveinwoodland
05-31-2011, 6:43 PM
FAIL for wasteful packing. They could take lessons from Apple.

Jerkdog
05-31-2011, 6:49 PM
you should have seen the 4'x3' box amazon used to send my 36" gunbag in.....

I got one of those as well, except mine had some sort of baby bath tub thingy that folds up flat in it.

xxINKxx
05-31-2011, 7:16 PM
It annoying to me as well. Whats more annoying is getting charged 10 dollars to ship something that could me mailed to me in an envelope!!!

That's how spikes tactical is. I had to order some small clips for the recoil spring in my .22 bolt.

The clips are as small as a couple fingernail clippings, Yet they charge 15$ to ship and put it in a damn shoe box. They are the worst when it comes to overpriced shipping

Merc1138
05-31-2011, 7:26 PM
I've seen worse. Needed some small parts in the office, a couple dozen of them. Each part came individually wrapped in plastic, which was in a cardboard box, inside a larger cardboard box, packed in sets of 4 with bubblewrap in larger cardboard boxes, all packed into 3 massive cardboard boxes with loads of paper stuffing.

The parts could have been packed into a small shoebox.

Other insane examples:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging/
http://9gag.com/gag/75583/

Really the problem usually comes from whatever the shipping department has available. If they ran out of small boxes, they can't just decide not to ship your item. Other times it's the idiotic packaging that the items already came in to start with.

Geofois
05-31-2011, 8:20 PM
I bet their shipping department is afraid of job cuts so they need to justify working overtime. The owners of the company might not even realize it is happening. All these gun companies deal with very small parts so if they are buying only large boxes could be nobody is communicating or they are simply passing the fees to us the consumer and making some profit on shipping. The later is probably the truth.

AR-15 Rep
05-31-2011, 8:28 PM
Makes you wonder why shipping prices keep going up... that's a good example of why they do...

Geofois
05-31-2011, 8:31 PM
I'm going to call and let them know. Not that one voice will do anything, but if everyone let them know that they won't order from a company that is so wasteful of our money, then they don't deserve my business. I sound all concerned citizen, hehe.

hylander
05-31-2011, 8:35 PM
I ordered some high temp heat shrink from MacMaster Carr once. They sent it in a 4 foot cardboard mailing tube.

Yep, they send me huge boxes for 1 mill bit that could go into an envelope

Geofois
05-31-2011, 8:39 PM
I sent an email to their customer service and let them know we were discussing it here. Maybe knowing all their potential customers don't want to see waste might help.

bjl333
05-31-2011, 8:43 PM
I agree its a waste of trees. But I'm guessing they did this knowingly! If it came in a 6"x4" box it'll probably get lost in the shipment somewhere!

shark92651
05-31-2011, 8:53 PM
I doubt a smaller box would have saved anything on the shipping costs. UPS charges by weight and there is not a big difference in the weight of that box and one 1/2 it's size. Unless you get into "oversize" packages, there isn't that much of a difference based on the size of the box.

Geofois
05-31-2011, 8:59 PM
I doubt a smaller box would have saved anything on the shipping costs. UPS charges by weight and there is not a big difference in the weight of that box and one 1/2 it's size. Unless you get into "oversize" packages, there isn't that much of a difference based on the size of the box.

If you felt how much it weighed and how much this cardboard paper was stuffed inside, you would know different. Not sure about shipping costs, but the item would fit into a bubble pouch and ship for less than a dollar, but you're right I'm sure they don't care since you and me are paying for it.

shark92651
05-31-2011, 9:00 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what shipment method did they use? How much was the shipping? Did you get a tracking number?

G-forceJunkie
05-31-2011, 9:05 PM
But it would not meet the requirements for the packaging minimums to keep the insurance. If they shipped it to you in a bubble pack, and it was damaged, the seller is SOL, UPS, FedX, etw would not cover it. They have a book of how thing must be packed to be eligable for insurance. Things like how many inches of packing between the part and the edge of the box, as well as the crush rating of the box are factors they look for. Plus, its hard to put a lable on a small box, a 6x6x6 is about minimum. So, if you don't mind getting damaged good, tell them to forgo the insurance and save you $2 on shipping. FWIW, my company will ship in a 8x8x8 box as a minimum, even if you buy one 1/4" washer.If you felt how much it weighed and how much this cardboard paper was stuffed inside, you would know different. Not sure about shipping costs, but the item would fit into a bubble pouch and ship for less than a dollar, but you're right I'm sure they don't care since you and me are paying for it.

Geofois
05-31-2011, 9:06 PM
They used FedEx. I was charged $8 for shipping. I did get the tracking number. I guess I can find out what they paid, if that's what you're trying to say.

Geofois
05-31-2011, 9:24 PM
But it would not meet the requirements for the packaging minimums to keep the insurance. If they shipped it to you in a bubble pack, and it was damaged, the seller is SOL, UPS, FedX, etw would not cover it. They have a book of how thing must be packed to be eligable for insurance. Things like how many inches of packing between the part and the edge of the box, as well as the crush rating of the box are factors they look for. Plus, its hard to put a lable on a small box, a 6x6x6 is about minimum. So, if you don't mind getting damaged good, tell them to forgo the insurance and save you $2 on shipping. FWIW, my company will ship in a 8x8x8 box as a minimum, even if you buy one 1/4" washer.

I believe you. It's just sad we have a society we are forced to waste so much trees and fuel for nothing. Also the item was at the very bottom of the box so if it was delicate, it had no protection in the middle of the box. It is solid steel so it was fine.

shark92651
06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
They used FedEx. I was charged $8 for shipping. I did get the tracking number. I guess I can find out what they paid, if that's what you're trying to say.

No, I'm just saying you don't get much for $1 shipping. No insurance, no tracking info, SOL if the package gets lost. This is why retailers charge $6 and up to ship a small part.

generalpetres
06-01-2011, 1:10 PM
thats ok i recently ordered some bolts for my car and it came in a box about 3 times as big as that for 4 small bolts lol.

RONIN.
06-01-2011, 1:13 PM
I ordered jp trigger spring kit from jp.. They sent it in a box large enough to fit 10 usgi 30rds in.. I figured they did that due to it being the smallest box they had on hand.. They could of shipped them in an envelope three trigger spring kits didn't need a box that size..

marcus_bervus
06-01-2011, 1:19 PM
maybe they are getting rid of some of their trash by shipping it.... :-)

247Nino
06-01-2011, 1:31 PM
I put all of the saved up shipping supplies to good use... in my brother's car when he pissed me off. Floor to ceiling and trunk.

http://ninophotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-rQp6Rzr/0/XL/i-rQp6Rzr-XL.jpg
http://ninophotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q7B5XPs/0/XL/i-Q7B5XPs-XL.jpg
http://ninophotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-QCwMRM3/0/XL/i-QCwMRM3-XL.jpg

Geofois
06-01-2011, 1:53 PM
No, I'm just saying you don't get much for $1 shipping. No insurance, no tracking info, SOL if the package gets lost. This is why retailers charge $6 and up to ship a small part.

I'm sure that's the case. I didn't opt for insurance, but I use my credit card which auto insures all my shipments so I'm basically being charged 4-8x the amount as insurance, wow that is terrible. Insuring something shouldn't even be a factor of 1x unless you are mailing a diamond then shipping relative to the value of the item might pale in comparison so insurance would be the larger of the costs. Shipping a machines piece of metal should never cost multiple times the shipping. Again, that's why I use my credit card. There is no excuse for wasting my money.

beetle
06-01-2011, 2:07 PM
once for work I ordered 36 servers from HP. The packaging was ridiculous, with each cable being individually boxed.

but what takes the cake is that the next day another 36 boxes show up. Inside each box was another box (i.e. double boxed). Then in that box was a DVD case. The DVD case was labeled "license for ILO". But when I opened the DVD case, instead of a DVD it had a piece of paper that had some printing on it. The printing said...

"no license required"

cannon
06-01-2011, 2:10 PM
Maybe it's in that sized box to facilitate it going through the automated package delivery system.

Fadedline
06-01-2011, 2:25 PM
At least it wasn't that styrofoam popcorn crap. :mad: