PDA

View Full Version : standard LPK trigger pull

NYY
05-31-2011, 4:26 PM
What is the weight pull on a trigger for a standard Lower parts Kit for an AR15?

killshot44
05-31-2011, 5:07 PM
Depends, 6-8lbs has been my experience.

bjl333
05-31-2011, 7:14 PM
HEAVY!!!

AlexKintner
05-31-2011, 7:34 PM
Buy a JP yellow spring kit and it takes it down to about 4. Not a bad $12 investment.

Outta Control
05-31-2011, 7:51 PM
Buy a JP yellow spring kit and it takes it down to about 4. Not a bad $12 investment.

+1

For reference the RR 2 Stage LPK is dead on 4lbs pull. The Spikes Enhanced LPK is at 8.4 lbs. After installing a JP yellow spring set the pull is now close to 4 lbs.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5

http://www.jprifles.com/cart_pix/ph/1188.jpg

UserM4
05-31-2011, 8:35 PM
It's perfect for a battle rifle. :p I just polish all my LPK triggers. Get a decent break with just a little creep and hardly any over travel.

OutkastSL
05-31-2011, 9:17 PM
It's perfect for a battle rifle. :p I just polish all my LPK triggers. Get a decent break with just a little creep and hardly any over travel.

do you have a link of a how to for polishing the triggers?

NYY
05-31-2011, 9:19 PM
soo abouttttt 6-8lbs?

missiontrails
06-01-2011, 6:04 AM
No, NOT 6 with a standard kit. I have measured probably 8 standard ones now, always a minimum of 7.5.... I even had a DPMS one that was 9!!! The LWRC kits that I use now which include their enhanced single stage trigger are very close to 6.

21SF
06-01-2011, 6:13 AM
+1

For reference the RR 2 Stage LPK is dead on 4lbs pull. The Spikes Enhanced LPK is at 8.4 lbs. After installing a JP yellow spring set the pull is now close to 4 lbs.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5

http://www.jprifles.com/cart_pix/ph/1188.jpg

hmm..i have the spikes st trigger. Im going to try some of these springs.

Outta Control
06-01-2011, 6:17 AM
This is about personal preference. Anything over 6 lbs is heavy to me and being at 8.4 lbs was a disappointment for a high priced kit. Thank goodness for an inexpensive solution.

rattlesnake_nm
06-01-2011, 6:18 AM
The newest version of the rra nm trigger is tits. If You have any problems they will replace it. I got one for $89 shipped. Mine is a bit heavy because I didn't use the rra hammer spring. It is on a 5.45x39 dedicated lower, so I used a heavy spring to crack the russian primers. Even using a heavy hammer spring, it is a major improvement.

missiontrails
06-01-2011, 6:21 AM
hmm..i have the spikes st trigger. Im going to try some of these springs.

You better make sure the hammer spring is powerful enough...... if you look at performance trigger setups, often times the hammers are thinner and lighter, not normal mass Milspec hammers.

UserM4
06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
do you have a link of a how to for polishing the triggers?

No not really but if you look at the engagement points, you'll figure it out. Just make sure that the edges stay razor sharp!

With a good break, imho, a relatively heavy pull weight doesn't matter much on a battle rifle.

UserM4
06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
You better make sure the hammer spring is powerful enough...... if you look at performance trigger setups, often times the hammers are thinner and lighter, not normal mass Milspec hammers.

This is why I like Geissele triggers. The hammer spring is full power from what I've seen.

NYY
06-01-2011, 2:17 PM
so does a light trigger pull necessarily mean its a weaker hammer to primer hit?

tacticalcity
06-01-2011, 2:27 PM
...a relatively heavy pull weight doesn't matter much on a battle rifle.

This is one of those points a lot of new AR guys get messed up on. They associate more expensive with always being better. It just isn't so.

On a bench rerest rifle where you are shooting long distances a light trigger comes in very handy.

However, on a battle rifle and on a CQB rifle, a short trigger pull is an ND waiting to happen.

Anyone who has taken a carbine course, and run the gauntlet in the summer heat knows that once you are fatigued, dehydrated, and generally worn out your fine motor skills go out the window. Too light of a trigger pull becomes a major liability at that point. The same holds true for when your adrenaline is through the roof like it would be in a firefight.

So the trigger on your rifle, just like the barrel and optics needs to match how you are actually using the rifle. This is no such thing as one size fits all.

Unless it is a precision rifle, keep those fancy light weight triggers off your AR.

Merc1138
06-01-2011, 2:28 PM
so does a light trigger pull necessarily mean its a weaker hammer to primer hit?

No, that would depend on what has actually been done to achieve the light trigger pull.

tacticalcity
06-01-2011, 2:33 PM

No, not really. He is talking about making sure you use the correct spring for the size/weight of the hammer. Some of the really expensive national match trigger packs come with really tiny light weight hammers. If you try and use a spring from that kit on the milspec hammer, it just won't fly. There are all kinds of different solutions out there. You can't always mix and match parts from them.

You are confusing your concepts because of a lack of first hand experience with the various trigger packs out there. No biggie.

Hooligan
06-01-2011, 5:26 PM
I have two RRA LPK on Spikes lowers. The pull is around 8 1/2 pounds. Several times I have thought the safety was on because of how heavy it is. However, they both feel okay, little creep, but a nice break and no other "strange" feelings from it. Aside from the heaviness- they are fine.

One lower is for a KISS, SHTF lightweight build- it will soon be receiving the JP springs.

One lower is on a 24" heavy barrel long range build, this will soon be getting a Geisselle.

I haven't tried any polishing and probably won't since they feel fine, just heavy, which I don't think polishing will affect.