PDA

View Full Version : Boca/Stampede Nevada County Range

liveby,diebythesword
05-31-2011, 5:16 PM
Well, My son and myself spent most all day just picking up empty shotgun hulls and the other four or five bags of trash that was picked up by someone last year and left them because they had no way to haul them out. I was talking to the Forest Service and they were saying that someone else was going out there to try to help out as well. I live in the Glenshire/Devonshire area which is on the opposite side of the freeway and so I use it quite a bit. Unfortunately there are items that I can not deal with myself, like some kind of old sofa that is decomposed and stuck to the ground and other large piles that need some kind of equipment to remove.

There is also a very large pile of garbage at the furthest range back, about 3/8th of a mile in side the gate, the nicest place to shoot (with the iron tables). I wish we could do something to further clean this range up. It needs it badly before the Tahoe National Forest closes this place for good. I don't know if you know this but, from what I hear this is the closest place to shoot for free, for Sacramento locals, and it is being disrespected badly.:eek:

I would more than willing to help out along with my son and my father as well to help address what needs to be done out here. Just send me a PM and we can talk. I am usually a reader and not a writer on these sites and try to keep to myself but I feel it was time for me to say something. I have been removing trash from there for quite some time and it hurts me to see this stuff keep accumulating.:cool:

PLEASE HELP OUT, IT NEEDS IT!!!!;)

Here is the link for the old THREAD (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=333880)

liveby,diebythesword
06-05-2011, 8:05 PM
:confused:Any one? really?
:79:

otteray
06-23-2011, 9:38 PM
I probably can't help this summer; but I'm retiring next May and will be spending lots of time in the Tahoe area at my cabin. Count on me then.

powderedtoastman
06-23-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm very glad to see somebody is making an effort to keep this going. Full time school+full time work= FAIL for free time(I know, excuses, excuses). If by the grace of God I make it up there this year, I'll be contacting you, but I don't graduate till late October.

liveby,diebythesword
06-24-2011, 8:51 PM
I am glad to hear more people out there do care about trying to keep our public (FREE) ranges open. Thank you. Please keep me informed and I WILL be there to help...:gnorsi:

Python2
06-26-2011, 6:31 AM
Count me in too. PM me your info and will do mine. I too have a place in Tahoe Donner and usually shoot at Hobart Mills (small range compare to Boca). We are usually there on weekends.
Isnt the place gated with someone/org. holding the key?

liveby,diebythesword
06-26-2011, 9:01 PM
Right on!! and yes the it is gated. The Tahoe Forest Service office on Donner Pass Road has keys you can check out or you can join the "Truckee Sportsmans Club" through Tahoe Forest Service for a fee of around fifty or so dollars. I have always just checked the key out and they have always told me that if I need the key overnight or over a Sunday that there is no problem as long as I let them know.
Some times I would check the key out as I get off work in the late afternoon and then return the key on Saturday pm. That way I get out there in AM when there is no wind. The TNF Truckee office number for the keys is (530) 587-3558 for more info.

Python2: I will PM you my info. I usually shoot Hobart during the winter with my pistols because it is right next to the road. Maybe we have met already once before. There are other very nice ranges up here that I would rather not disclose on this "public" forum. Thanks.

UP2MTNS
12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
bump....new on the forum, but been lurking for a while. I'm in the Bay area, and we have a house in Sierra Meadows where my brother lives full time. Just bought my first AR-15 (I also have a S&W .45 compact) and I'm looking to bring it up there in the spring and have some fun. My bro and I were at the gated range in early November to warm up my .45 (its been forever since I last shot it), but we didn't realize the range closes on October 15th, so we just went gun window shopping at Cabela's, he wants a 9mm :D

I'm willing to help out with keeping this place clean and OPEN, and I'm definitely interested in learning about some 'other' ranges in the area. Where's Hobart? And are there any other ranges that are open in the winter? Even if they're a hike from the road, that would be a fun snow shoe hike'n shoot.

I have a Dodge Ram 2500, so if stuff still needs to be hauled out in the spring, just LMK.

Thanks,

Jon

mud99
12-09-2011, 11:34 PM
So where can you shoot up there during winter? I'm going up to truckee next weekend. Wanted to check out Hobart mills, or possibly Jackson meadows area, though I will need to get an accurate map first.

If too much snow, maybe head down to Carson city? BLM office recommended shooting at pine nuts mountain

tzotzo
12-10-2011, 3:34 PM
having shot recently in some open Reno land, not sure whether it was BLM or not, it was a pigpen of trash. Nobody cleans up after themselves... thousands of shotgun plastic, ancient brass, bottles, wood, steel, etc... just sickening. Shooters are not representing themselves well here.

mud99
12-11-2011, 2:17 PM
I will have my trailer with me and shovels, if I shoot on public land I usually try and clean up as much as possible before leaving, even if it costs me a $20 dump fee.

Where was this open land? Looking at the forecast Truckee may be covered in snow next weekend, may have to head down to the free side.

otteray
12-11-2011, 4:08 PM
Do you go to the Cabin Creek dump?
I haven't been there, but will be using local ranges and picking up trash after retirement in May.
Is this the landfill for my Tahoe west shore residence?

mud99
12-11-2011, 8:55 PM
I haven't been there before, only seen it from my snowmobile, but my understanding is that cabin creek is the local dump for the north shore, it's halfway between truckee and squaw on 89.

The rate is $9/yard, so it looks pretty cheap.

Still not sure where i'm going to go shooting, might be too much snow by next weekend.

Only lead I have is the suggestion from BLM to go down to pine nuts mountains near carson city, and pick up a map so they can give me some suggestions.

EdinKali
12-12-2011, 2:44 PM
We go there about once or twice a year and always haul out more than we bring in. Amazing the amount of good brass people just leave on the ground there. I pick up as much of it as I can in the calibers I reload for.

mud99
12-12-2011, 2:49 PM
Where do you go? Stampede?

I definitely need more brass.