PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting to build AR15

Crash3110
05-31-2011, 3:59 PM
Hey all,

well i'm interested in getting an AR15 and was wondering whats the best way to go about getting a cali legal one or where is the cheapest sites to get a complete lower and upper i can assemble together. Any input would be great. Of if any of you gun gurus would like to put a new gun owner under your wing id be very greatful. and also what caliber would be best?

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 4:11 PM
5.56NATO

Find a local FFL who sells lowers and start by buying the lower.

MongooseV8
05-31-2011, 4:21 PM
^This. All you need for a lower is something "Name Brand" like Spikes, LMT, Stag, RRA ect. They are mostly all the same except for a few like Hesse Vulcan. Everything else varies greatly in price and quality, start reading the forums and arm yourself with knowledge first. Most will tell you to get something Stag/DPMS quality or better for an upper. I would agree thats the lowest Id go. Its best to buy the better stuff the first time.....

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 4:30 PM
you need no proof of anything.

the OLL is 100% legal.

they are no different that any other firearm you buy at walmart.

its 100% in how you build the rifle.

I can take a shotgun bought from walmart and turn it into an illegal firearm... thats doesnt mean its illegal to buy it in legal form.

step 1= GO BUY A LOWER

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 4:45 PM
diesel: to clarify my question, is it a real possibility that LE will arrest me for having a custom built AR? I don't think they'd have a leg to stand on with a complete rifle that was bought in CA

they can only arrest you if you violate the law.

so as long as you buy an OLL and build it properly...there is NO CRIME.

There is no difference between a AR15 and any other gun sold in CA... NONE.

The law lists what guns are banned
the law list what an illegal gun has.

If your AR15 doesn't fit into one of those categories... its 100% legal.

The AG/ DoJ has issued a statement washing their hands of any City, or county LEO attempting to file charges when no law was broken. They state in no uncertain terms maglocks and featureless rifles are 100% legal.

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 4:49 PM
read here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=436300&highlight=doj

FourLoko
05-31-2011, 5:29 PM
JohnP, no need to be so paranoid

how do you expect the same confused LEO to know if your rifle is "pre-assembled" or self built?

sequoia_nomad
05-31-2011, 5:36 PM
FourLoko hit it right on. If they're going to harass you regarding your legal firearm, it will make absolutely zero difference if you bought it complete or built it up yourself.

Crowesnest
05-31-2011, 5:42 PM
what's confusing to me is this sticky'd thread:
♦♦ How NOT to get Arrested for your OLL!!!! ♦♦

I've never owned a rifle or AR, so what i'm wondering is whether people actually get hassled over custom builds. I've also read on other forums that they periodically search cars at the Nevada border and have a bomb sniffing dog that can smell gunpowder. I know these rifles with BB's are legal, but it sounds like some LE's don't know this and have in the past arrested law abiding people.

Anyway, the reason i'm asking is that i'm riding the fence on buying a preassembled rifle, or building it piece by piece. If getting hassled by cops for having "an illegal build" just because they're ignorant of these laws is a possibility, that would sway me towards the preassembled.

That said, i'm interested in hearing what kind of stripped lower i should be looking at, and where i should get it.

Put it together the way you want it built. It's a lot more fun if you put it together with parts that you want. As far as an "illegal" build, just follow the flowchart and you'll be fine.... bullet button is required for any build with evil features (pistol grip, collapsible stock, forward vertical grip, etc.) If you are lucky enough to own pre-ban high cap magazines, then you must go with a featureless build in order to enjoy their use.

evidens83
05-31-2011, 5:50 PM
Pick up a stripped OLL of your choice(which rollmark do you like best ;) Next you would need the LPK and stock assembly. I highly recommend you shop our marketplace forum theres plenty of good deals out there. As for the upper, there's literally dozens of good ones just depends on your wants, needs, and budget. For a good selection of uppers I recommend RifleGear (http://www.riflegear.com/) or BravoCompanyUSA (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/).

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 6:11 PM
Yes,
step 1.... get out and BUY a lower
step 2.... buy a lower parts kit
step 3.... watch as many assembly videos as you can find. youtube, Brownell's, midway USA, Magpul, ect...
step 4.... buy a stock kit
step 5.... assemble the lower while watching the videos from #3 and at that time decide what CA compliance route you are taking. Either maglock (the easiest) or featureless (requires some thought as to what upper you will buy). Make sure to buy that compliance part.
step 6.... research how you want to use your rifle, then buy the proper upper and BCG
step 7.... buy magazines
step 8.... buy ammo
step 9.... find a range or find open land
step 10... go shooting.

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 6:25 PM
are all manufacturers' parts interchangeable? if i get a DPMS lower, can i get any stock kit or does it have to be dpms compatible?

I can tell I'll definitely learn a lot building vs buying

99% are all the same.

Crash3110
05-31-2011, 7:00 PM
Ok this is how NEW i am first off whats OLL and maybe im searching wrong but i cant find lower parts kits and not sure if what i do find is exactly what i need?

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 7:41 PM
OLL = Off List Lower. It means the Lower is NOT listed as an Assault Weapon by CA law. 99.9% of the time..if you can buy it at a gun store..its an OLL. Thats all you need to really know. Read PC12276 and read the Flow chart at the top of the website for a complete list...but thats sorta moot because ..if you can buy it in a gun store...its 99.9% a OLL.

Search term "AR15 lower parts kit" they are about $50-$90.

watch these, total of 12 minutes and shows you how dam simple it is.

iA_Vkb2UB1w

jq4KfUaVp8M&feature=related

Don29palms
05-31-2011, 8:20 PM
sounds like i'm building. This ought to be fun. I hear item #1 is the stripped lower. Crash, this might fit the bill

http://www.tandaarmory.com/cart/DPMS_5_56_Stripped_Lower_Receiver-details.aspx

If you build a rifle with that lower you will be commiting a felony by building a banned by name assault weapon. I doubt if an FFL in California would even accept that DPMS lower.

Don29palms
05-31-2011, 8:22 PM
http://www.riflegear.com/c-94-stripped-lower-receivers.aspx

call me a brown noser, but the calguns lower actually looks pretty nice. Do any of the experienced builders have any thoughts on a JD stripped lower? (calguns)

JD Machine is my prefered upper/lower. The rifle in my signature is a JD Machine upper/lower.

Cyc Wid It
05-31-2011, 8:22 PM
Please read the sticky BEFORE YOU PROCEED and understand the flow chart.

Datdarkness
05-31-2011, 8:23 PM
legos are alot cheaper.....

tonelar
05-31-2011, 9:11 PM
JD Machine is my prefered upper/lower. The rifle in my signature is a JD Machine upper/lower.

+1 the JD Machine and Kaiser Calguns lowers are among my faves. Quality wise, they are well built.

I also like Sundevil lowers (80% Sundevils are how I built my AR pistols)

S dot
05-31-2011, 10:26 PM
+1 for JD Machine Tech, not sure of your location but you can go and tour their in San Diego anytime. (make sure you check the owner's in house collection...you will not be disappointed) I have the calguns stamp from them, and its a great way to give back to the forum, as you will probably be learning and gaining feedback on what to do by reading here.