View Full Version : tm 308 build

05-31-2011, 2:37 PM
So I have had one of the blem TM 308 lowers for a while now, and I just picked up a DPMS SASS upper for a great price. Im looking into parts to finish the build and am looking for input. Im not looking into a battle rifle build, I already have one, more a very precise rig for 600 yards or so. Im debating between the magpul PRS and UBR stock, or maybe something different? alsoI am debating between a bill springfield trigger and a giselee trigger any thoghts out there? This isnt going to happen anytime too soon, so the more expensive route means more time till its done. let me know what you think

05-31-2011, 3:31 PM
I can't comment on the trigger too much since I've only experienced the Geisselle SSA-E, which I like a lot, but could see the benefit in the DMR adjustable version to get the lighter second stage.

On the stocks, I've had the two side by side on the same rifle, shot both, and chose a A2 stock over the two. Why? Cost and weight/versatility.

The A2 stock weighs in around 1 lb, same as a collapsible stock, BUT, for precision paper punching, I can drop in a 3lbs lead weight. It's economical and functional.

Now, between the two, I like the UBR more than the PRS. The PRS lacked the versatility and had adjustments that I didn't use. The UBR was heavy but collapsed for a shorter overall length (something that isn't really necessary for a target rifle).

This is all based on preference, but that's what it came down to for me.

05-31-2011, 4:30 PM
i suppose i never thought of a simple A2 stock... is it cheap enough to get it off the ground (build), or should I hold off?

05-31-2011, 4:44 PM
Having the PRS on my 308, if I would do it again I would just do the A2. I am not disappointed with the PRS but considering the cost and far more adjustability that I would ever need, it is a bit overkill.

05-31-2011, 4:45 PM
I have a ubr and a prs. I like the ubr it's good off the bench and if you wanna shoot standing. The prs is exceptionally heavy and the 308 model has a shortened cheek piece to clear the charging handle. It is great off the bench for a 20+" upper build but not much else. I'm looking into the mako adjustable stock with built in mono pod. I forget what it's called. Anyway hope this helps.

05-31-2011, 4:57 PM
Triggers: I have both a 2.5lb Bill Springfield and a Geiselle high-speed match two-stage. Both are excellent but for a bench gun the Geiselle wins hands down. Jewells are also highly regarded but i have no experience with them.

A good trigger and barrel are the key IMO.

Put an A2 on there and get it finished. Lots of time to try other stocks later.

05-31-2011, 4:59 PM

This is the mako stock I was talking about.

05-31-2011, 6:17 PM
If by TM you mean Tactical Machining they recommend the Geisselle triggers on their website for the .308 lowers.