View Full Version : Help with parts identification, FN rifle

Peter in CA
05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
I have aquired a very nice looking bolt action rifle (might be a sporterized military action) and it has a couple of identification marks that I would like some help identifying. Caliber is .264 Win Mag.
The action is obviously made by FN in Belgium. Can anyone identify its origins? The proof mark might help determind military or civilian.
Also, the trigger, marked "Finland" is quite a little gem. Anyone have any information on the trigger.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter in CA

05-31-2011, 1:57 PM
Your rifle has a commercial FN Mauser action. They were widely used by gun makers in the 60's, 70's and 80's when assembling rifles. The Lion over PV proof is a Belgian nitro firing proof. The mark under the PV is a "Perron", which a classic Belgian proof. The top marks with the small star over a letter is a individual inspectors mark.

The mark on the base of the bolt is hard to make out. But it looks like a late Czechoslovakian Commercial rifle proof which is a stylized lion in a large "N". A clearer photo would help.

Don't know the trigger. It's obviously a Finnish made unit and probably made after 1968 as it was common for products to be labeled with the name of the county which produced it. Any other marks on it's other side?

It could be a FN action sent to a rifle maker in Czechoslovakia who installed the barrel and applied the proof to the bolt?

The .264Win mag is a older cartridge popular in the 1960's.

Peter in CA
05-31-2011, 2:40 PM
Thank you for your help. I cannot make out the mark on the bolt, even with a loop magnifier. It almost looks double stamped. The bolt handle is serialed to the rifle.
There are no other marks on the trigger. It is the smoothest trigger that I have ever owned. Very light and crisp let off.
I will try and get a picture of the whole thing when I reassembled the rifle.

Peter in CA