PDA

View Full Version : Before I start an AR build... Some questions

Dr. Strangelove
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
OK so I have done some research, and I've read the flowchart. I am thinking about buying an OLL and starting my first AR build.

Here's the thing: I currently live in Arizona, and may be moving to LA soon.

I also read the rules about bringing a rifle into the state, and the law said that if the weapon is not classified as an AW and you are not bringing any mags with a capacity over 10 rounds, there is no requirements or registration.

I plan on taking my time with a build, but I would like to have something that I can bring back and forth between the two states. So if I get a lower off the list and a bullet button with a fixed 10 round magazine it should be fine to bring into the state correct?

Is there anything I am missing? I just want to make sure all of my bases are covered before I start this project. Thoughts?

Rock6.3
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
So if I get a lower off the list and a bullet button with a fixed 10 round magazine it should be fine to bring into the state correct?

correction: You want to get an "Offlist Lower". The ones ON 'the list' are the ones that California has banned. Otherwise your above statement is correct.

Dr. Strangelove
05-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Sorry, yeah that's what I meant. Off the list, not off of the list. That would be bad.

762.DEFENSE
05-31-2011, 11:04 AM
You might want to buy as many AR Pistol marked-lowers as you can ;)

PEBKAC
05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
You might want to buy as many AR Pistol marked-lowers though as you can though ;)
This. It's a huge pain to acquire these in CA. Well, at least compared to AZ.

Really given what you describe the things to watch out for are the edge cases.

-30 inch OAL requirement with stocks in the collapsed/folded position. It usually isn't an issue with ARs, but some models like the Para TTR do have folding stocks that even with a BB are below 30 OAL.

-AR-57 uppers. If you aren't going featureless these need a different BB that is on the upper itself, not the lower. This is due to the magazines the upper uses attaching directly to the upper.

-IIRC there are some combinations of RRA lower and uppers that are on list, but just the lower or just the upper is not a problem by itself (someone stop me if I am remembering incorrectly). So if you decide to get an RRA upper and lower make sure to check the list so that you don't end up with a listed configuration.

Other than those cases you should be fine if you are BBed and off list.

Dr. Strangelove
06-01-2011, 8:24 AM
Not sure about the brands yet. I'll probably shy away from RRA on the lower just to avoid any confusion.

I am thinking I want a short, relatively light weight mid-length. I want it to handle easily but still reach out to ~150-200 yards if I want to. No optics, not for a while at least.

Just a good, basic AR-15 that doesn't drain my wallet. That's the goal. There is so much to research, not only on the law side but there are so many options it can make your head spin.

dieselpower
06-01-2011, 8:26 AM
Not sure about the brands yet. I'll probably shy away from RRA on the lower just to avoid any confusion.

I am thinking I want a short, relatively light weight mid-length. I want it to handle easily but still reach out to ~150-200 yards if I want to. No optics, not for a while at least.

Just a good, basic AR-15 that doesn't drain my wallet. That's the goal. There is so much to research, not only on the law side but there are so many options it can make your head spin.

sounds like you need to get to a gun shop and ask what they have. then come back here. We can suggest a number of things...and if you can't get them>>>>>????

Whats the best AR15..... The one you can buy. The one you can shoot

Dr. Strangelove
06-01-2011, 8:29 AM
sounds like you need to get to a gun shop and ask what they have. then come back here. We can suggest a number of things...and if you can't get them>>>>>????

Whats the best AR15..... The one you can buy. The one you can shoot

As soon as I read up a little more on the AR platform, I'm going to do exactly that. Thanks :)

Cen Cal Gunner
06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Stag and Spike are good off list lowers and i have a AR Raddlock Gen-X bullet button which has 2 settings california legal and out of state ,seems like exacly what you need

codeman8
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Stag and Spike are good off list lowers and i have a AR Raddlock Gen-X bullet button which has 2 settings california legal and out of state ,seems like exacly what you need

Exactly what I was going to recommend. Spikes makes excellent and affordable lowers. I would look at uppers by BCM. They are very competitively priced and are excellent products. A radlock would also be ideal as stated above. All it takes is a small allen wrench to switch between AZ and CA legal configurations. Pick yourself up some 30 round rebuild kits as well. When you are in CA they must be disassembled, but the moment you travel back to AZ you can put them back together an have some fun :)

Baconator
06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
You might want to buy as many AR Pistol marked-lowers though as you can though ;)

I thought hey didn't need to be marked, just never have been registered as rifles and never built as rifles. They would get reported on the registration that you have to fill out when you bring pistols in state.

Unless I am wrong, which happens often.

Don29palms
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I thought hey didn't need to be marked, just never have been registered as rifles and never built as rifles. They would get reported on the registration that you have to fill out when you bring pistols in state.

Unless I am wrong, which happens often.

Does Arizona have any laws about the construction of pistols?

Dr. Strangelove
06-02-2011, 5:36 PM
I'm not entirely sure about the laws regarding the building of pistols but I'm inclined to doubt it. AZ is just about as lax as you can get in this country for gun laws.

To be honest though, I'm just not that interested in AR pistols. I don't know, I must be missing something because they just don't look like fun to me at all. Too big and clunky to be an actual pistol and too small and no butt stock to be a rifle.

:Shrug:

I like that bullet button that can switch to being a normal mag release. That would save me from buying another one for sure.