PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a scope for a scout mount on my 98k

Dr. Peter Venkman
12-12-2006, 11:15 AM
So I decided to buy a scope in anticipation of me also getting a "scout" mount from S & K (www.scopemounts.com) on my 98k. The mount replaces the rear sight so I don't have to ruin my rifle's value in order to put some cheap scope on it.

I got this idea from this article over at surplus rifles: http://surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/sk98kmount/index.asp

The article recommends this scope, 2-7x32 with extended eye relief:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/tarspor27eer.html

I purchased this scope, 6x42, eye relief 3.6 inches: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ultralux6x42.html

I sent an email to S & K asking which mount I should buy for the scout mount, Weaver or S & K, and was told the scope that I bought would not work, but I do not know why not. The length of the two scopes, and both of their eye reliefs, look comparable.

Should I cancel/send back my scope?

jumbopanda
12-12-2006, 3:04 PM
Err, you should have gone with the extended eye relief scope. You can't just move a regular scope 20 or so inches away from your eye and expect good results. Also, don't buy cheap scopes. I know it might seem like a waste to spend as much money as a scope as on a rifle, but it's not. Milsurp rifles aren't going to have spectacular accuracy, but at least get something around the $100 price range. $30 scopes are basically garbage.

NeoWeird
12-12-2006, 4:55 PM
Keep in mind that your 3.6 inch eye relief is about the distance from your wrist when holding the rifle and the rear of the bolt. If you look at Extended Eye Relief and handgun scopes, they usually have an eye relief of like 12 to 20 inches with a wide variance in them. I too am currently in the middle of a milsurp scout build and I opted for, I believe it was, a Burris handgun scope that was 4x28 with an 11.7-20.1 inch eye relief. Handgun scopes will work as well, but be sure to get quality as you are dealing with a far sharper hitting bullet and some handgun scopes won't absord the recoil enough and will literaly break while being used.

It's hard finding an optic that fits this category but one of the things I liked to do was NOT shop for one, instead of look into the manufacturers I liked, find what scopes they made in EER (extended eye relief as many companies will refer to it) and then from there look for that particular model to purchase. Midway does a good job of marking EER scopes in their title, and riflescopes does it kind of good as well (although I HATE riflescopes for the fact that you can not search for specific features like EER, fixed power, etc). Rifle scopes and Midway both let you search through their handgun scopes, and any handgun scope (assuming it can handle the round) will work for a rifle scout scope.

Pthfndr
12-12-2006, 7:56 PM
If you're going to use a scout mount you need a scope that has good intermediate eye relief. Some pistol scopes will work. Most won't because their minimum eye relief starts at around 8-9", and more typically 12". Even that's too far because a pistol scope is designed to be shot with the arms semi extended.

Lots of people recommend the NC Star scopes. I don't. First off, they're cheaply made. I tried 3, 2 broke in less than 20 rounds on my 8mm Mauser. Second, the eye relief is only useable if you're shooting from a bench. From position (prone, off hand, etc) you'll still get a black circle to look through.

The only 2 pistol scopes I know that work - from personal experience - are the Burris 2.75x and the Weaver 2.5x. I have the Burris on my Czech 98/22 on a S&K mount and it works great. If you scour the gun shows you can probably find a used one of either for $50-$100.

The other choice is to go with a true IER scope. To my knowledge the only one purpose made is the Leupold FX scout scope (2.5x). I have 2 of these, one on a K31 and another on a Finn M39, and they work very well. They're pricey though. About $200 from Midway of you have a C&R on file with them. Retail is around $230-$250.

Fate
12-13-2006, 9:43 AM
If you want a non-gunsmith mount for that standard scope, look at Iron Elite's mounting system. They're rock solid and do not make permanent alterations to your rifle.

Dr. Peter Venkman
12-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I'd hate to have budget come into it, but I can't afford $200-300 optics. Starving college student here working part-time.

I didn't want to get a pistol scope for the very reason that they are designed for pistols, and I didn't think a cheap pistol scope would last very long. As opposed to a cheap rifle scope, haha.

If you want a non-gunsmith mount for that standard scope, look at Iron Elite's mounting system. They're rock solid and do not make permanent alterations to your rifle.

I am going to go with that. The set up looks awesome.

Thanks for your help guys.

NeoWeird
12-14-2006, 1:49 AM
In general B-Square mounts are non-permanent and I've only heard good things about them.

Fate
12-14-2006, 9:17 AM
In general B-Square mounts are non-permanent and I've only heard good things about them.
Funny, I've heard the exact opposite. They loosen over time according to numerous reports I've heard. Iron Elite is the "gold standard" for standard scope mounts.

ocabj
12-14-2006, 9:57 AM
B-Square is garbage. Had one on my VZ24. The set screws on the front and rear to adjust the elevation cant/slope actually flexes the rail when you tighten it down.

The only scout mount to consider for the 8mm Mauser actions is the SK. If Darrell makes one in the future, then get that one.