PDA

View Full Version : Can I DROS a complete .22 AR (w/ standard lower) and swap in a centerfire upper?

bluebird
05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Sorry for asking it here, but I think I will get a better answer than the rimfire section.

I just wonder if it is legal for me to ask an FFL to build me a .22LR AR with a standard lower so that I can swap a centerfire upper in myself when I have more budget. I know it is legal to swap between centerfire uppers but I wonder if there is a special law regarding swapping from rimfire to centerfire.

Thanks.

HK Dave
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Yes, provided you follow the law and don't create an Assault rifle. You must either install a bullet button, or make the rifle featureless.

kozumasbullitt
05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Just be sure it is featureless or has a BB before swapping to a centerfire, also be sure length is good for the barrel and OAL.

Don29palms
05-31-2011, 11:26 AM
It's not really less expensive to build a 22 than a 5.56 rifle. The ammo is less but that's about it.

Baconator
05-31-2011, 11:31 AM
It's not really less expensive to build a 22 than a 5.56 rifle. The ammo is less but that's about it.

This. You can do a budget build.

r6raff
05-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Are you going to use the .22 upper? If not why don't you buy this. I have a feeling this is another option you are exploring to circumvent the under 21 issue and lowers, am I right?

CSA reminded me of another few tricks to get around that issue. First is have your parent buy the lower and then give it to you, easy peasy, if your parents approve of course.

The second option is to have a friend over 21 buy the lower, then build the rifle, then "sell" it to you.

or you can buy one of these

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=438942&highlight=AR

or this

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=437302&highlight=AR

or this

http://www.riflegear.com/p-842-stag-arms-model-3-rifle.aspx

lorax3
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
The answer to the thread title "Can I DROS a complete .22 AR (w/ standard lower) and swap in a centerfire upper?" is yes.

Once the firearm is in your possession you do anything you want as long as you follow the various CA laws.

What I'm trying to understand the point of this, when budget seems to be your issue. A dedicated .22 AR upper is (almost) if not in some cases more expensive than a low end centerfire 5.56/223 upper.

If you are wanting to buy parts for your AR just buy a stripped or complete lower from a dealer, then the upper at a later date when ready.

If you're under 21 I would just advise to wait until you have all the money required to buy a complete centerfire AR. You really won't be saving money unless your end goal is to have both a rimfire and centerfire upper.

As noted above a centerfire AR will likely require a bullet button. (Depending on features.)

762.DEFENSE
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Totally legal as long as you follow the flow chart. :thumbsup:

bluebird
05-31-2011, 3:20 PM
CSA reminded me of another few tricks to get around that issue. First is have your parent buy the lower and then give it to you, easy peasy, if your parents approve of course.

The second option is to have a friend over 21 buy the lower, then build the rifle, then "sell" it to you.

I've posted this in other posts before, but I'll post it again: my parents currently live overseas so that is out of the question
I was told before that your second option is considered as a straw purchase and that it's illegal.

OutkastSL
05-31-2011, 3:56 PM
If you decide to get the .22lr complete, be sure its not the Colt/Umarex or M&P 15-22 if you want to be able to swap a 556/223 upper on it. Those two .22lr complete rifles are not milspec.

bluebird
05-31-2011, 4:04 PM
If you decide to get the .22lr complete, be sure its not the Colt/Umarex or M&P 15-22 if you want to be able to swap a 556/223 upper on it. Those two .22lr complete rifles are not milspec.

No I'm planning to ask an FFL to build an AR for me. I'm thinking of Spike's standard AR Lower and just slap on something cheap like a CMMG .22 upper (or something even cheaper). Suggestions?

OutkastSL
05-31-2011, 4:12 PM
something cheaper is a chiappa .22lr. it's a plastic upper but for a .22lr, it won't be an issue. http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=511534&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

you should go to the rimfire section and do some research. this guy has a plum crazy lower and the chiappa upper. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=436482

Arnelcheeze
05-31-2011, 5:26 PM
cheaper to buy an AR, then get the $160-$200 .22lr conversion and drop it in.

1lowluv
05-31-2011, 5:32 PM
It's funny that everyone says you need to be 21 to dros a lower. The shop I go to does them for 18+ are they not supposed to? It's dros'd as a rifle not a handgun.

Cyc Wid It
05-31-2011, 5:48 PM
It's funny that everyone says you need to be 21 to dros a lower. The shop I go to does them for 18+ are they not supposed to? It's dros'd as a rifle not a handgun.

They aren't supposed to. They should be DROS'ed as "other".

tba02
05-31-2011, 5:48 PM
Seeing that you are in Davis.
Plum Crazy Lower from Placer Tactical for $150.00 (you will need to make sure it has the blow back hammer from PCMFG - $9.00 if you need to order it).
The Chiappa from the link above for ~$270.00
~430.00 + tax and fees, and add a few bucks for a rear sight or optics, mags and ammo,
or spend a bit more and pick up a CMMG Quebec
- http://www.marksarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=QUEBECA

The CMMG package is worth the extra 80 bucks IMO, but I do love my PCF/Chiappa (complete it is lighter than my .223 upper).

You'll have a platform to shoot from, and you can then decide what quality upper you want, and any upgrades to the lower as needed.

bluebird
05-31-2011, 5:52 PM
Ok, the reason I am not considering a conversion is that I'm not even running .223 for my planned centerfire upper:D (I actually secretly (well not anymore since I told you guys XD) ordered a centerfire upper from an out of state shop but I don't have a lower yet so I figure why not ask the local FFL to build a .22 so that I can swap the upper myself).

Don't ask me what upper I bought and so far I haven't seen one here and I think it's gonna be pretty awesome :D

Not gonna spoil the fun now since I won't receive it until maybe next Wednesday XD

shark92651
05-31-2011, 6:44 PM

The DROS is a California thing - not relevant. They are not following the Federal paperwork in this case. On the 4473 it should most definitely be recorded as "other" and the buyer needs to be 21. The ATF will most likely correct this on their next audit.

r6raff
05-31-2011, 6:53 PM

Let them know to get as many sold to under agers as quickly as possible, cause this wont be happening for long. Its a Federal Law not a Ca one, Hello BATFE auditors

Noobert
05-31-2011, 7:45 PM
Another possibility is that you mill your own lower from an 80%

NotEnoughGuns
05-31-2011, 7:52 PM
I've posted this in other posts before, but I'll post it again: my parents currently live overseas so that is out of the question
I was told before that your second option is considered as a straw purchase and that it's illegal.

If you and said friend go to a FFL and transfer the complete rifle it is perfectly legal.

r6raff
05-31-2011, 8:09 PM

Forgot about your parents being out of country, so thats a no go. But as long as your friend PPTs it to you at a FFL and you go through the legal process you will be fine.

Again, if you plan on using the .22 upper than your plans seems logical, if not then you are going to waste a ton of money =\ should have waited until you had your lower on a 10day before you jumped the gun (no pun intended) on your upper group.

I would find a friend over 21, have him buy and dros a lower. slap your upper on it and then have him transfer it to you. I am sure you have a friend over 21, so this shouldn't be an issue.