PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17S not approved in CA????

cpatbay
05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
After trying in vain to locate a SCAR 17S, I wrote a note to fnh to find out what is going on since all the dealers told me they had no idea when they would get the 17S in. Here is the reply. I am most surprised that the 17S has not been approved by CA.

------------------------------------------------------

The SCAR 17S has not been approved for sale in California yet. Please check back with us in about 90 days. Thank you.

Regards,

Ann

Ann Ringenberg
Operations Manager, Law Enforcement and Commercial Sales
FNH USA, LLC
McLean VA 22101
Office: 703.288.3500 x100 | Mobile: 703-635-8916 | Fax: 703-288-1730

PyroFox79
05-31-2011, 10:44 AM
SO long as the stock is pinned or the length is 30 inches with the stock folded. Dont forget the bullet button. With those things its perfectly legal. Try going through a middle man FFL that will pin the stock for you and put a bullet button on it.

And tell FN that they are stupid because it doesn't have to be approved, it just has to meet the requirements.

45DAVID1
05-31-2011, 10:44 AM
find a dealer who will install a BB and have it shipped in.

Plywood
05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=435363

bwiese
05-31-2011, 10:51 AM
No long gun is approved for sale in CA.

They are sold by FFLs if they are legal. Period.

"Disapproval" == illegal sale of a rifle that's illegal (assault weapon, SBR, SBS, etc.)

SCAR17s need to be modified with a BulletButton style maglock before the gun enters CA so as to
not be considered assault weapons. (Regular CA FFLs cannot import & convert assault weapons.)

Quite a few SCARs have been sold in CA, so find another supplier and/or another FFL.

However, thanks for Ann's contact info. I will set her straight.

[OTHER PEOPLE: PLEASE DO NOT BOTHER MS. RINGENBERG. LET'S NOT ALIENATE HER.]

cpatbay
05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I am glad fnh is stupid in this case! Thanks for clarifying this.

HK Dave
05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
what bwiese said, there is no "approval list" for rifles. It just has to be legal in specs.

FatalKitty
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
They are really not that stupid.

the SCAR17s as sent from FN would be ILLEGAL in CA due to assault weapon status.

It needs to be modified to fit CA requirements.

ke6guj
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
However, thanks for Ann's contact info. I will set her straight.

[OTHER PEOPLE: PLEASE DO NOT BOTHER MS. RINGENBERG. LET'S NOT ALIENATE HER.]

I wonder what "approval" they expect within 90-days.

kozumasbullitt
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Here, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=437154

The Scar is not approved for CA sale because they do not ship compliant from FN.

bwiese
05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Contact established - nice lady, good chat, reviewed situation (AWs vs BBs, DOJ can lie, competitor
S&W shipping BB'd rifles to CA thru distribution, etc.) - clarification ensued.

If further questions, she will reach out to me.

[PLEASE DO NOT BOTHER ANN FURTHER. Busy lady. She's now 'aware'.]

There are plenty of legal SCARS being sold in CA anyway thru "California compliant" pathways anyway.

high_revs
05-31-2011, 11:20 AM
thanks bwiese!

bwiese
05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Here, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=437154

The Scar is not approved for CA sale because they do not ship compliant from FN.

Wrong.

Again, no rifle or long gun is 'APPROVED" or "DISAPPROVED" in CA by any entity. You're confusing 'legality' (which is a concern) with an 'approval process' (there is none extant for long guns, only for handguns).

In CA a long gun is either legal, or illegal, and it is up to the distribution path to determine compliance and the CA FFL to arrange a proper pathway so the gun is legal before entering CA [i.e., using an intermediary FFL.]

There are many vendors that equip SCARs w/BulletButtons before shipping them into CA - quite a few SCARs are being sold.

morrcarr67
05-31-2011, 11:25 AM
thanks bwiese!

+1 :punk: Thanks Bill

762.DEFENSE
05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
I wonder what "approval" they expect within 90-days.

+1 :confused:

docsmileyface
05-31-2011, 12:07 PM
News to me!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249647_10150202423923346_774918345_6879950_3255796 _n.jpg

Plenty of dealers stock CA legal SCAR 17S, like others have said straight from the factory to your door isn't legal but a lot of distributors will CA legalize a SCAR by locking the magazine and stock in place for you.

SJgunguy24
05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
If DOJ had their way nothing more dangerous then a cork tipped butter knife would be allowed into the state.

calnurse
05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
If DOJ had their way nothing more dangerous then a cork tipped butter knife would be allowed into the state.

Don't forget the high power Nerf assault rifle sold at Target with its armor piercing foam bullets. De Leon will ban them as well!

cpatbay
05-31-2011, 1:20 PM
News to me!

Plenty of dealers stock CA legal SCAR 17S, like others have said straight from the factory to your door isn't legal but a lot of distributors will CA legalize a SCAR by locking the magazine and stock in place for you.

I haven't had much luck trying to find a SCAR 17S in CA. You mentioned that there are plenty of dealers stock them. Would you mind sharing which ones are these?

MrPlink
05-31-2011, 1:39 PM
I wish somebody told me this before I bought one here 6 months ago!

Bottom line is they are hard to get right now. Civi and MIL demand is high right now, so waiting lists are long. Typically right now if you can find a dealer who does have one in stock (either already in CA and legally set up or from a dealer willing to make it CA legal) you are probably going to pay an extra premium.

Most dealers are quoted lead times of 4 - 6 months turn around time.

Shark06
05-31-2011, 1:58 PM
As a 16s shooter, I am probably going to get a 17s in the future. By that time hopefully magazines are readily available. :)

docsmileyface
05-31-2011, 1:59 PM
I haven't had much luck trying to find a SCAR 17S in CA. You mentioned that there are plenty of dealers stock them. Would you mind sharing which ones are these?

Stock them and in stock are two different things - up here in the Bay Area SCAR 17S have been sighted at Bay Area Gun Vault and Valkyrie Arms, but lead time is unknown. I got lucky and picked mine up off the shelf from BAGV. LAN World and Knesek's Guns will convert SCARs and ship them to CA, too. Finding one in stock is the tricky part, like MrPlink stated lead times can be up to 6+ months.

SJgunguy24
05-31-2011, 2:00 PM
I wish somebody told me this before I bought one here 6 months ago!

Bottom line is they are hard to get right now. Civi and MIL demand is high right now, so waiting lists are long. Typically right now if you can find a dealer who does have one in stock (either already in CA and legally set up or from a dealer willing to make it CA legal) you are probably going to pay an extra premium.

Most dealers are quoted lead times of 4 - 6 months turn around time.

Not all FFL's will put the screws to you, trust me when others were charging 200+ over retail we could get you one at or below retail.

crazychinaman
05-31-2011, 2:18 PM
Whera are you located. Rifle gear has some on order,Addax tactical also,Turners will order it. they are trickling into the supply chain.The miltary has first dibbs.

cpatbay
05-31-2011, 2:20 PM
Stock them and in stock are two different things - up here in the Bay Area SCAR 17S have been sighted at Bay Area Gun Vault and Valkyrie Arms, but lead time is unknown. I got lucky and picked mine up off the shelf from BAGV. LAN World and Knesek's Guns will convert SCARs and ship them to CA, too. Finding one in stock is the tricky part, like MrPlink stated lead times can be up to 6+ months.

I also saw a 16S at Bay Area Gun Vault but no 17S right now. I was told lead time of 2-3 months. But they are asking for $3k for the 16S and $3.2k for the 17S. Ouch! That's at least $300-$400 more than many others.

kozumasbullitt
05-31-2011, 3:13 PM
Wrong.

Again, no rifle or long gun is 'APPROVED" or "DISAPPROVED" in CA by any entity. You're confusing 'legality' (which is a concern) with an 'approval process' (there is none extant for long guns, only for handguns).

In CA a long gun is either legal, or illegal, and it is up to the distribution path to determine compliance and the CA FFL to arrange a proper pathway so the gun is legal before entering CA [i.e., using an intermediary FFL.]

There are many vendors that equip SCARs w/BulletButtons before shipping them into CA - quite a few SCARs are being sold.

If you clicked the link you will see that I own one. The scar can not and will not be shipped to you direct from FN because they do not make a compliant model. I understand there is no approval process for long guns but there is an approved criteria that long guns must meet to be compliant.

docsmileyface
05-31-2011, 4:27 PM
I also saw a 16S at Bay Area Gun Vault but no 17S right now. I was told lead time of 2-3 months. But they are asking for $3k for the 16S and $3.2k for the 17S. Ouch! That's at least $300-$400 more than many others.

Check Valkyrie in Milpitas - they'll order one for you without a huge markup

tonelar
05-31-2011, 4:33 PM

SBR (Sacto) had one recently. I hear it was there for at LEAST one week.

bwiese
05-31-2011, 4:48 PM
If you clicked the link you will see that I own one. The scar can not and will not be shipped to you direct from FN because they do not make a compliant model. I understand there is no approval process for long guns but there is an approved criteria that long guns must meet to be compliant.

That's not 'approved' - which implies submission for examination before receiving - that's just importing a legal gun.

There are many intermediary FFLs and CA FFLs that can get SCARs here.
Again, no 'approval' is needed from any agency and only relatively passive "don't commit a crime" is needed.

This is completely contrasted to the approval/testing process to get a handgun on the Roster. The term "Approval" is indeed valid in this case.

Knife Edge
05-31-2011, 6:29 PM
find a dealer who will install a BB and have it shipped in.

Talk to Lynn Shryver at www.shryvergunsales.com. Last price he quoted me was $2700 shipped and converted. He handles CA very well. He ships the stock mag release and paperwork to your home, only the gun goes to the FFL.

MrPlink
05-31-2011, 7:57 PM
Not all FFL's will put the screws to you, trust me when others were charging 200+ over retail we could get you one at or below retail.

and you guys did, thank you very much. So big PLUS 1 for you guys, but once again.... LEAD TIMES!

bollero
05-31-2011, 9:39 PM
docsmileyface < exactly how i want my rifle... I'm totally jealous..

kozumasbullitt
05-31-2011, 11:15 PM
docsmileyface < exactly how i want my rifle... I'm totally jealous..

Scar on scar crime

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/kozumasbullitt/e4725fcd.jpg

cpatbay
05-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Talk to Lynn Shryver at www.shryvergunsales.com. Last price he quoted me was $2700 shipped and converted. He handles CA very well. He ships the stock mag release and paperwork to your home, only the gun goes to the FFL.

Do you mean http://www.schryvergunsales.com/??

cpatbay
05-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Scar on scar crime

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/kozumasbullitt/e4725fcd.jpg

That IS what I am looking for !!!:cool2: