PDA

View Full Version : 10/30 Pmag - riveted floorplate?

mwc
05-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I looked around but couldn't find an answer.

If I have a 10/30 Pmag that uses a rivet as a follower stop, do I legally need to have the floorplate riveted or otherwise 'permanently' attached? I don't see why I would, access to the inside of the mag doesn't affect the follower stop rivet.

I can see how it would be necessary on a setup using a rod inside the mag instead of a rivet.

Only asking because I'll be using ranger plates and it doesnt look like riveting them on is as easy as it is on the flat floorplates.

Thanks

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 10:24 AM
I say no. There are people who say you need 60+ pounds of epoxy on the floor plate. I agree with you. The inside has nothing to do with how you limited the capacity.

JayBeeJay
05-31-2011, 10:37 AM
I use ranger plates on most of my PMags and I riveted them down. It's simple to do with a sharp drill pit and cheap rivet kit from Harbor Freight. If I take my mags to Nevada it takes me minutes to convert them back to normal capacity. I only use aluminum rivets as they drill out really easy if needed.

mwc
05-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Jay, where on the plate do you drill for the rivet?

Thanks again
Matt

goodlookin1
05-31-2011, 12:50 PM
I use ranger plates on most of my PMags and I riveted them down. It's simple to do with a sharp drill pit and cheap rivet kit from Harbor Freight. If I take my mags to Nevada it takes me minutes to convert them back to normal capacity. I only use aluminum rivets as they drill out really easy if needed.

Guess it aint that permanent, is it?

There is no such thing as "permanent". Why try?

Just make it "permanently altered" as sufficiently understood by a "reasonable person". Good luck ;)

JayBeeJay
05-31-2011, 1:55 PM
Guess it aint that permanent, is it?

There is no such thing as "permanent". Why try?

Just make it "permanently altered" as sufficiently understood by a "reasonable person". Good luck ;)

Well unfortunately we live in a state that has unreasonable gun laws and not to mention sometimes ignorant LEO's and range officers, so better safe than sorry IMO. Basically it's permanent enough to make me feel comfortable that if I'm being harrassed they wouldnt be able to remove the floor plates without having to drill the rivet out. It's not a big deal anyway, aluminum rivets are cheap and it's a easy mod that I can do to all my mags in minutes.

This is the spot I rivet mwc :

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/JReezelle/IMG_0652.jpg

SJgunguy24
05-31-2011, 2:12 PM
My opinion is, if some LEO needs to drill out the rivet to try and bust you, then they should really read the law. Possession is not a crime, if they drill out the rivet, guess who manufactured that hi cap? They did not you. Also if you were to get to court then you have physical evidence that you indeed made your mag into a 10 round capacity configuration.
Also if one is willing to take tools to your mag, what would stop them from punching a 3rd hole in your AK receiver, or milling the shelf in your AR? I think a MG bust would look.better on a resume then some mag charge that won't stick.

JayBeeJay
05-31-2011, 2:18 PM
^^^ I understand what your saying and I doubt that would ever happen, but I rather not deal with any hassle at all dealing with anybodies ignorance. A few weeks ago someone posted that some random person at a shooting range called the cops on someone else for having hi-cap mags and the cops actually showed up. Now that **** is just plain stupid as hell and I rather not deal with that kind of ****.

goodlookin1
05-31-2011, 2:39 PM
^^^ I understand what your saying and I doubt that would ever happen, but I rather not deal with any hassle at all dealing with anybodies ignorance. A few weeks ago someone posted that some random person at a shooting range called the cops on someone else for having hi-cap mags and the cops actually showed up. Now that **** is just plain stupid as hell and I rather not deal with that kind of ****.

Me: "What's the problem, officer?"

LEO: "You're using high capacity magazines"

Me: "No sir, these are legally owned 10 round magazines. [insert 10 rounds]. See how I can't fit the elenth round?"

OR

Me: "No sir, these are legally owned high capacity magazines. I legally purchased them before the year 2000 High Capacity Magazine ban went into effect. See....this is my [featureless build / RAW] that I am allowed to use it in.

If this happens:

LEO: "Thank you, have a nice day"

Good for you.

If this happens:

LEO: "That's illegal. I need to confiscate your gun and magazines"

Me: "If you do so, sir, I will see you in court. I'm calling my lawyer right now [grabs number for CGN and starts dialing]"

SJgunguy24
05-31-2011, 3:11 PM
Me: "What's the problem, officer?"

LEO: "You're using high capacity magazines"

Me: "No sir, these are legally owned 10 round magazines. [insert 10 rounds]. See how I can't fit the elenth round?"

OR

Me: "No sir, these are legally owned high capacity magazines. I legally purchased them before the year 2000 High Capacity Magazine ban went into effect. See....this is my [featureless build / RAW] that I am allowed to use it in.

If this happens:

LEO: "Thank you, have a nice day"

Good for you.

If this happens:

LEO: "That's illegal. I need to confiscate your gun and magazines"

Me: "If you do so, sir, I will see you in court. I'm calling my lawyer right now [grabs number for CGN and starts dialing]"
I would ask the officer where in the penal code does it specifically state possession of high cap mag is illegal. It's not there. You have every right to challenge a LEO if you know they are wrong, but you had better be 1000% sure and have facts to back up your claim.

mwc
05-31-2011, 4:01 PM
Thanks Jay, hadn't even gone to pick up the ranger plates yet when I posted this thread, didn't realize how flexible they are, didn't think I could bend that outta the way. Just riveted em on in the same spot you use.

Thanks for the replies all.

Matt

JayBeeJay
05-31-2011, 6:37 PM
No problem man.

shark92651
05-31-2011, 6:41 PM
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I looked around but couldn't find an answer.

If I have a 10/30 Pmag that uses a rivet as a follower stop, do I legally need to have the floorplate riveted or otherwise 'permanently' attached? I don't see why I would, access to the inside of the mag doesn't affect the follower stop rivet.

I can see how it would be necessary on a setup using a rod inside the mag instead of a rivet.

Only asking because I'll be using ranger plates and it doesnt look like riveting them on is as easy as it is on the flat floorplates.

Thanks

I would say no, since it is the rivet in the side of the magazine that is stopping the follower. Pulling off the floorplate doesn't affect it at all.