PDA

View Full Version : Info PLS!! Shipping ARs?

mAdbRaIn
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Please, verify this shipping of firearms for me. This is from the ATF website:

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

[B]Does this mean that a rifle can be shipped to an FFL for transfer to another person in another state?

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

[B]Does this mean that I can ship an AR-15 or 4 Lowers to myself at another state? Please, verify this information for me. It would help me a lot when I decide to puchase my Lowers.

PanzerAce
12-12-2006, 11:04 AM
whoa, calm down first of all. Second, why not just carry them with you where ever you are going? I have traveled with firearms before, and had no problems with it.

Fjold
12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Yes, you may ship a legal firearm (not registered assault weapon) to an FFL holder in another state to be transferred to another person. (I just did this last Thursday)

Yes, you may ship the same firearms to yourself in another state if you will be engaged in other lawful pursuits, hunting, competition, etc.

Do not mail handguns. The US post office requires handguns to be mailed only by FFL holders to other FFL holders (Use UPS, FedEx)

bwiese
12-12-2006, 12:58 PM
You say "AR15"....

If you have a as-marked true Colt AR15, it's a named CA assault weapon to the receiver level.

It must be shipped in/out of CA using the services of a CA FFL dealer who also holds a CA Assault Weapons permit. (You can drive it in/out or fly with it in/out of CA yourself also.)

mAdbRaIn
12-12-2006, 1:13 PM
I acutually meant OFF LIST LOWERS that I want to purchase and send to my brother out of state. I'm still debating if I should purchase my co-worker's OLLs. But, I just don't want it here in CA. I'd rather have it sent home away from these communist from the DOJ.

Anyways, Thank You all for your insight into the matter. But, what do you all think I should do? Should I buy his 4 OLLs or should I hold off until the mess is all cleared up after Jan. 2007?

cornholio1
12-12-2006, 1:16 PM
I acutually meant OFF LIST LOWERS that I want to purchase and send to my brother out of state. I'm still debating if I should purchase my co-worker's OLLs. But, I just don't want it here in CA. I'd rather have it sent home away from these communist from the DOJ.

Anyways, Thank You all for your insight into the matter. But, what do you all think I should do? Should I buy his 4 OLLs or should I hold off until the mess is all cleared up after Jan. 2007?

might wanna tone down your font man.

tenpercentfirearms
12-12-2006, 2:03 PM
I think the last thing you should do is buy 4 lowers and ship them out of state. What is the point? If he is selling them for under $100 each, then do what you want. Otherwise, what is the point in buying lower receivers that you are just going to remove from the state? This sounds pretty pointless to me considering your brother can buy lowers for cheaper in the real world and he can just hold onto them.

OLLs are useless paper weights unless you build them and shoot them. Having four disassembled lowers out of state doesn't make much sense to me. If the DOJ decides to take them, then they are going to come to your house and ask where they are. If they are banned, you can't have them anyway. Again, these things stripped are completely pointless. If you are scared of a federal ban, well then exercise your rights, don't buy some guns and hide them out of state from some non-existent threat.

chiefcrash
12-12-2006, 2:14 PM
I acutually meant OFF LIST LOWERS that I want to purchase and send to my brother out of state.

if you're sending them to your brother, they need to go through a FFL

bwiese
12-12-2006, 2:14 PM
Ah, well don't do that unless you can make it very clear the brother is not a recipient and you are just "mailing to yourself". Enclose a letter inside the pkg stating this. Address the package TO YOURSELF, c/o Little Brother, 123 Main St, Podunk, IA. (Don't do it the other way around.) You don't wanna be accused of an illegal interstate transfer to your brother. Also, the package should not be opened at the destination, it should remain well-wrapped up, and it should be safely stored there. A separate copy of the letter inside the pkg should be available outside the pkg (i.e, your brother keeps it nearby) 'just in case'.

You should buy 4 OLLs anytime you want. Why you wanna move them outta state puzzles me. If you move outta state, you can bring your OLLs with you and fully equip them, or you can buy them there (if no Fed ban comes in).

Tens of thousands of folks are shooting them. There is NO question as to OLL legality. There is only a slight argument posed by one DOJ staffer about one configuration. There is zero argument, and even some support by DOJ staff, that legal gripless builds (i.e., those w/o flash hiders but with MonsterMan etc grips) are legal.

You should always buy guns now, rather than later.