PDA

View Full Version : good priced AR rifle kit?

shooterx10
12-12-2006, 9:11 AM
I did a search for "rifle kit" and too many posts came up, so I thought I'd ask...

Which manufacturer makes a quality AR rifle kit? By kit, I mean everything EXCEPT the lower receiver and the mag (upper barrelled receiver, bolt carrier, charge handle, lower parts kit and buttstock).

You can drop Blackthorne, they are just another Hesse/Vulcan/Joeken Arms illegit child. :eek:

docsmileyface
12-12-2006, 9:14 AM
Del-ton makes a nice kit for the price, but so does Stag and RRA....

Model-1 Sales has a bad reputation, but my government profile 20" A2 from them seems to function on par as my dad's Bushmaster in both looks and performance.

sthornwall
12-12-2006, 9:17 AM
I did all Stag for one of my builds and RRA for my Double Star-15 LR. Check out this link: http://www.rockriverarms.com/

Never had any problems with any of these. Worth the price also.

Fjold
12-12-2006, 9:33 AM
I bought a rifle kit from www.mapartsinc.com and three of my friends have purchased kits from them also and everyone has been perfectly happy with what we bought.

They didn't deliver the rear sight on one package and when they were called the owner said he would review the videotape (they videotape every package to verify contents) and get back to the guy. The next day they put a rear sight in the mail.

bu-bye
12-12-2006, 9:56 AM
I bought everything through www.CMMGINC.com . You can call them up and they will put together everything you need and have it out the door that day. Great customer service.

proraptor
12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I also bought almost everything from cmmg and everything came to me perfect...Very nice people to talk to also...Not to mention their barrels are top notch 1/7 twist

bwiese
12-12-2006, 3:01 PM
I'd recommend CMMG, BravoCoUSA, Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite...

(Denny's Guns/Global Tactical or MSTN for high-end specialty stuff, etc.)

CMMG seems to have their sh*t together - great bbls, no cut corners, and reliable inventory/ship time estimates.

I would especially avoid Model1 Sales, Sherluk Marketing, M&A, Olympic Arms....

I've seen regular DPMS stuff and not too impressed (gritty triggers, no chromed bbls, etc.)

maxicon
12-12-2006, 3:32 PM
I've had good luck with JT Distributing - http://www.jtdistributing.com

When I bought my first kit, they were considered among the best of the no-name vendors over at ar15.com.

If you're looking for best quality at the lowest price, they're hard to beat, as the slightly cheaper places tend to have marginal reputations.

If you are concerned about resale value and name recognition, you'd be better off paying more for Stag, Bushy, etc. If you want top-notch, there are some great vendors out there for lots more $$.

TMC
12-12-2006, 4:01 PM
I would especially avoid Model1 Sales, Sherluk Marketing, M&A, Olympic Arms....

What's wrong with Model1Sales? my buddies 16" Model1Sales kit gun shoots as good as my Bushmaster and my Olympic 9mm runs 100%.

Joe
12-12-2006, 4:07 PM
You should buy a stripped lower receiver and build it yourself. That is how everyone here did it. You can order the lowers from http://www.ddsranch.com/
or www.coldwarshooters.com

Joe
12-12-2006, 4:21 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for helping me out. Couple of questions for you and anybody else reading:

1. How difficult is it to assemble a lower receiver such that it will function reliably and safely? (or is the reliability more a function of the parts themselves?)

2. It seems (and this is still amazing to me) that that you only need the FFL to buy the stripped lower receiver. Thus, I can order the lower receiver parts kit, pistol grip and all, and just through it in the trash?

Thanks

Hi radiotube. Welcome to calguns!

It is incredibly easy to assemble the lower parts kit in the lower. Anyone can do it. There are step-by-step directions on ar15.com. If you build it you have the comfort and satisfaction knowing everything is done right.

The lower is the only controlled part. Everything else can be sent directly to your front door. You don't need to throw away the pistol grip. You can either build the rifle with a fixed magazine and have a pistol grip and all the other evil features, or you can remove all evil features(pistol grip included) and go detachable magazine. You have to find an FFL that is willing to deal with OLL's. Not all of them are.

shark92651
12-12-2006, 4:31 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for helping me out. Couple of questions for you and anybody else reading:

1. How difficult is it to assemble a lower receiver such that it will function reliably and safely? (or is the reliability more a function of the parts themselves?)

2. It seems (and this is still amazing to me) that that you only need the FFL to buy the stripped lower receiver. Thus, I can order the lower receiver parts kit, pistol grip and all, and just through it in the trash?

Thanks

Check out this link for detailed instructions on building an AR:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I built up my first two lowers in a single evening. I took my time and it was about 40 mins for the first one and about 15 for the second. I suggest you use the "vise grip" approach to squeeze in the two roll pins. I used a clevis pin (about $2) to get the pivot pin installed. I also bought a set of roll pin punches at Home Depot. I used them to recess the roll pins and to help guide in the trigger pins. It really is a very easy project and anyone that has more than a passing experience with hand tools can get it done. The upper you can buy complete and just drop in place.

Joe
12-12-2006, 4:33 PM
Hi Joe / other members,

Do you know of anybody in the Southern California region (LA or lower please) that will participate in the FFL transaction? I'm in San Diego.

Thanks

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=40723&highlight=san+diego+lower

according to that thread you can order a lower(or more;)) from ddsranch and have it sent to Royal loan

3033 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92104

(619)284-2274

pnkssbtz
12-12-2006, 5:16 PM
I will attest to the ease of installing the lower parts kits. About the trickiest part was getting the hammer in while compressing the spring.

The take down spring detent pins were annoying but not hard. (Phone rang RIGHT when I was trying to put one in and I slipped and shot the pin across the room... luckily found it in under 2 minutes.)

Just go to ar15 and read the guides. SUPER easy. Only tools I used were a pair of pliers to push the roll pins in. (wrapped in electrical tape.)

It was so easy in fact, that I want to do it again!

I showed the rifle to my friends and offered to help them build one too.

Only thing I am not sure of is the head spacing / barrel extension part of assembling a barrel to an upper.

This is my second rifle, and the first time I've put together any firearm from parts.

I think I caught BRD from this experience, as I am now planning another build... (this time gripless.)

Joe
12-12-2006, 6:04 PM
Right now I'm leaning toward a Stag Arms lower receiver and upper half.

My question is that the Stag Arms upper half comes with a flash hider and bayonet lug. Both of these are banned. Do I just take them off or order it without these features? Or can I not order Stag equipment at all?

Thanks

Bayonet lugs are not evil features.

There is nothing illegal about owning an upper with a flash hider or any other evil feature. You just cannot have them assembled in an illegal configuration of your rifle. You can order ANY upper you want (as long as the barrel is at least 16").

You are allowed to have a flash hider if you have a fixed magazine. Do you want to go the fixed magazine route?

Or were you going to go gripless and evil featureless and use detachable mags?

Incase you haven't seen this thread already, check out everyones builds:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26726

Fjold
12-12-2006, 6:04 PM
The bayonet lug is not banned. The flash hider screws off. I ordered a left handed Stag upper Thursday and ordered a replacement muzzle brake for it already.

Joe
12-12-2006, 6:10 PM
My preference is for the detachable mag and no pistol grip. Thus, I can't have the bayonet lug or the flash hider. So can I remove these things and screw on a muzzle brake?

Thanks

You CAN have a bayonet lug. That is not an evil feature in California. You are confusing that with the federal AWB.

You simply order whichever Stag upper you want, and when it arrives at your house unscrew the flash hider and install a muzzle brake or thread protector.

12-12-2006, 6:11 PM
Radiotube,
If you want to drive into Riverside county, I know of a spot that has lowers in stock.

Joe
12-12-2006, 6:15 PM
According to Rock River Arms, the muzzle brake has to be "pinned and welded in place" to be AWB compliant...

It does not need to be permanently attached as long as the barrel is at least 16". When companies talk about AWB compliant they are talking about the federal ban, which isn't around anymore.

Joe
12-12-2006, 6:18 PM
Thanks, you are right. I just reread the summary of the laws on the net. Good to know the Stag ones are threaded and detachable.

No problem. Lots of guys here use Stag uppers, you won't be disappointed.

12-12-2006, 6:24 PM
Radiotube,
Info has been sent! If you have any more questions, you know where you can find me.

12-12-2006, 6:40 PM
Yes. Did you get the info?

12-12-2006, 6:42 PM
Good luck! Let us know when you get em!

shark92651
12-12-2006, 7:50 PM
One other question for you guys: I'm a bit confused about the difference between the sold called "pre-ban" and "post-ban" upper receivers-- especially since the AWB expired. For Stag Arms, for example, whats the difference and does it even matter in California?

"pre-ban" and "post-ban" refer to the now expired federal AW ban. What really matters now is what listed "evil features" your upper has - and that will not matter at all as long as you use a fixed magazine. If going gripless (monsterman, U-15, etc...) then you just have to ensure that your upper is at least 16" barrel without a flash suppressor. Muzzle brake is ok - but must be permanently attached if the total length of the barrel is less than 16". The 16" rule applies whether going fixed magazine or not. I think I got that right - I'm sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

shark92651
12-12-2006, 7:58 PM
Right now I'm leaning toward a Stag Arms lower receiver and upper half.

My question is that the Stag Arms upper half comes with a flash hider and bayonet lug. Both of these are banned. Do I just take them off or order it without these features? Or can I not order Stag equipment at all?

Thanks

A lot of places let you choose a muzzle brake instead of a flash suppressor. If they do not offer one, just make sure the flash suppressor is not "permenantly attached" and then you can just order a muzzle brake. I got one for my Kel-Tec rifle from Yankee Hill Machine for around $30. I just checked their website and they are on sale right now for $25.46.

Phantom Comp/Brake
http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/muzzle.html

Joe
12-12-2006, 8:12 PM
"pre-ban" and "post-ban" refer to the now expired federal AW ban. What really matters now is what listed "evil features" your upper has - and that will not matter at all as long as you use a fixed magazine. If going gripless (monsterman, U-15, etc...) then you just have to ensure that your upper is at least 16" barrel without a flash suppressor. Muzzle brake is ok - but must be permanently attached if the total length of the barrel is less than 16". The 16" rule applies whether going fixed magazine or not. I think I got that right - I'm sure others will correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct.

blastphemind
12-13-2006, 1:08 AM
shooterx10 , check out this site, it seems like a good deal if your going for parts on everything else but your lower receiver. Price is including shipping too! I'm probably going to role this way on my next build. =)

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

pnkssbtz
12-13-2006, 3:48 PM
Woah... you can have a flash suppressor on a fixed mag?!?!?

Ok... going to swap out the brake then =P

shark92651
12-13-2006, 4:56 PM
Woah... you can have a flash suppressor on a fixed mag?!?!?

Ok... going to swap out the brake then =P

Yep, fixed mag means you can have all the evil features you want.

veeklog
12-22-2006, 5:18 PM
Just bought a Stag lower from DD's Ranch yesterday, and had Ken at Royal Loan took care of the transaction. Great service to him and DD's Ranch. If you are San Diego, just exit 15 and head west till 30th Street. You have to make u-turn, and it is on he south side of El Cajon. The cost are $45 USD for handling the transfer, $25 USd for the DROS, and san Diego County sales ta (usually 7.75%).

As far as uppers goes, I purchased a DPMS complete AP-4 upper from them about a year ago. It is mounted on my pre-ban Armalite, and I will have to say that I am COMPLETELY happy with it. DPMS gives a 10% discount to law enforcement and military personnel, and free shipping over $50 USD. The only downer was it took 6 weeks to get the upper, but then again, they threw in a free chrome lined barrel. I cannot complain.