PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have their buffer tube fall apart?

tuncas
05-31-2011, 5:52 AM
I was shooting my ar when it failed to return to battery. I cleared the jam, and pulled the charging handle all the way back and let it fly. Felt like a lot less spring pressure, and again it failed to go to battery. I finished the rest of my magazine by using the forward assist every shot.

I figured I just needed to lube the gun as I had not shot it for a while, so when I get home and get ready to tear it down, I extend the stock and notice that it had spring pressure aiding its extension. I pull off the stock completely, and the buffer and spring fall out of the back of my buffer tube.

I always thought the buffer tube was made out of a single piece of aluminum (mine is commercial size). Turns out, that mine has a plug in the back of the tube and for some reason it popped out while I was using the gun. It appears to just be a press fit because there are no threads, no pins, and I can't put it pack in.

So my questions for you guys is 1. Why did this happen?
2. How do I keep it from happening again?

My guess is that it is a crappy buffer tube and from the buffer pounding the back of the tube, eventually it popped out the plug. But could the rifle be over gassed or something? It is a 16" carbine upper from DSA.

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 6:00 AM
Wow. This is the first time I have ever heard of this failure. Must be a terrible tube. All of mine are one piece with no plug whatsoever. Where did this tube come from?

cmace22
05-31-2011, 6:24 AM
Wow. This is the first time I have ever heard of this failure. Must be a terrible tube. All of mine are one piece with no plug whatsoever. Where did this tube come from?

+1 to this

IIRC my A2 tube looked like it may have been a 2 piece design. Is this on a A2 or car type stock?

Barabas
05-31-2011, 6:46 AM
That shouldn't happen, but QC isn't what it used to be.

The only way to eliminate the possibility of an end cap popping off is to replace your buffer tube with a billet version.

rareair
05-31-2011, 6:51 AM
Airsoft buffer tube?

tuncas
05-31-2011, 7:09 AM
I got the tube at the Del Mar gun show. I guess it is possible it could be airsoft, but I got legit magpul stuff from the same vendor so I doubt it. After I heard about magpul making airsoft stuff I got all skeptical and checked mine out, but it was legit. Also, it is a carbine tube.

tuncas
05-31-2011, 7:12 AM
So where should I get a good one piece tube? I need one that works with my MOE buttstock. Will mil spec as well as commercial work with my stock? And are there different buffers/springs for the mil spec Vs. commercial?

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 7:19 AM
dsg arms. I have a commercial tube, pay pal me uhhh $20 and I will ship it to You? You can reuse the spring and buffer. Pm me if You wanna go that route.

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 7:20 AM
Actually I just checked prices online. Paypal me $10 and it's Yours.

cmace22
05-31-2011, 7:22 AM
So where should I get a good one piece tube? I need one that works with my MOE buttstock. Will mil spec as well as commercial work with my stock? And are there different buffers/springs for the mil spec Vs. commercial?

You should run what ever it is you already have Commercial or Mil spec.

The buffer and spring will work with both.

Check out Rifle gear or Rainier Arms.

Any of those tubes should work great.

Call_me_Tom
05-31-2011, 7:24 AM
I've never heard of this happening & I use M16/AR weapons regularly.

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 7:27 AM
If Your broken one is commercial the moe stock will only fit on commercial. If You put it on a milspec it will just rattle around.

tuncas
05-31-2011, 7:31 AM
shall I post picture since this is a new type of failure? Everyone seems so excited/astonished.

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 7:34 AM
shall I post picture since this is a new type of failure? Everyone seems so excited/astonished.

Yes. I'd like to see. I have never seen a buffer tube that wasn't one piece.

tomd1584
05-31-2011, 7:43 AM
this is what a typical receiver extension should look like:

http://midwestpx.com/images/sopmodkit.jpg

http://midwestpx.com/images/lmtstockkit.jpg

tuncas
05-31-2011, 7:46 AM
this is not mine, but i found a pic of the same thing that happened to someone else on ARF.com

DevilDawgJJ
05-31-2011, 7:49 AM
If Your broken one is commercial the moe stock will only fit on commercial. If You put it on a milspec it will just rattle around.

Beside the fact of what is purchased. What part dictates whether or not I would use milspec or commercial.

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 7:58 AM
Beside the fact of what is purchased. What part dictates whether or not I would use milspec or commercial.

The tube itself. A commercial is slightly larger in diameter. So a milspec will not even fit. If You put a commercial stock on a milspec tube it will be very loose. Sorry for my semi FUD post.

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 7:59 AM
Ok, hold on. I see no reason for a Chi-Com or any manufacture to place something inside the tube. It doesn't make sense.

Its possible, cuz manufactures do stupid things.

What I think it happened is your BUFFER bumper has fallen off. On cheap Buffers they are held on with spit and hope. The poop cycling action was due to it dragging down the tube, & spring, then it finally fell off.

I could be wrong...look at your buffer. Does it have a rubber bumper on the end?

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 7:59 AM
The tube I am offering:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1743.jpg
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1744.jpg
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1745.jpg

G1500
05-31-2011, 8:01 AM

It is a matter of personal preference. The milspec tube is slightly smaller than the comercial and the stock is smaller to match up. You need to get a matching tube/stock set if you want it to be correct.

If you have a milspec tube, you need a milspec stock, same with commercial tube/stock. If you have a commercial tube and a milspec stock, it will not fit. If you have a milspec tube and a commercial stock, the stock will be VERY loose and not function properly, and will most likely cause damage.

Other than the diameter of the tube, there is nothing different, it threads in the same way and all.

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 8:05 AM
this is not mine, but i found a pic of the same thing that happened to someone else on ARF.com

I see that pic now. So it wasnt a plug in the tube, it was the back of the tube.

Get a Mil-spec tube and this will not happen

dieselpower
05-31-2011, 8:08 AM
It is a matter of personal preference. The milspec tube is slightly smaller than the commercial and the stock is smaller to match up. You need to get a matching tube/stock set if you want it to be correct.

If you have a milspec tube, you need a milspec stock, same with commercial tube/stock. If you have a commercial tube and a milspec stock, it will not fit. If you have a milspec tube and a commercial stock, the stock will be VERY loose and not function properly, and will most likely cause damage.

Other than the diameter of the tube, there is nothing different, it threads in the same way and all.

come on man, you know that isn't true.

The commercial tube threads are cut, the Mil-spec threads are rolled. The cut threads weaken the tube and are not the actual size of the receiver threads.

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 8:21 AM
But he already has a commercial moe stock. He would be out $50 or so if He went milspec. I have been running a commercial on a 5.45x39 ar15 for years and over 15,000 rounds. Zero problems. I had a commercial tube laying around so I used it, and it has been fine. It came off of a bushmaster.

G1500
05-31-2011, 8:24 AM
come on man, you know that isn't true.

The commercial tube threads are cut, the Mil-spec threads are rolled. The cut threads weaken the tube and are not the actual size of the receiver threads.

I actually didn't know this. I always thought it was the diameter of the tube.

Does it weaken the threads on the tube only, or does that also potentially lead to the threads on the receiver being weakened as well?

I have mil spec, I figured there is a reason the military went with this, and generally when something is commercial grade, at least in my personal experience, it tends to be sub par as you have just brought to my attention.

tuncas
05-31-2011, 8:31 AM
Rattlesnake, what is the other round black thing in the pic?

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 8:32 AM
It is just a cap to protect the threads while in storage.