PDA

View Full Version : Dry fire zeroing

sthornwall
12-12-2006, 9:23 AM
Does anyone here know how or know where I can find information on dry fire zeroing for a black rifle or any rifle for that matter? I remember when I was in the Army we used this technique during basic training. It worked great and it gave me the perfect zero. To be clear, I am not talking about mechanical zeroing. Any help would be great.

Thanks

xenophobe
12-12-2006, 1:40 PM
There is no such thing as dry fire zeroing. You're confusing it with dry firing exercises. You would take a piece of cleaning rod, stick it out of the muzzle and then balance a dime on the end. The practice was to get into a shooting position, lay in a prone unsupported position, standing or kneeling and dry fire the weapon without having the dime fall off the end of the cleaning rod. We had to do it 10 times in a row without the dime falling off the rod for each position.

sthornwall
12-12-2006, 2:00 PM
There is no such thing as dry fire zeroing. You're confusing it with dry firing exercises. You would take a piece of cleaning rod, stick it out of the muzzle and then balance a dime on the end. The practice was to get into a shooting position, lay in a prone unsupported position, standing or kneeling and dry fire the weapon without having the dime fall off the end of the cleaning rod. We had to do it 10 times in a row without the dime falling off the rod for each position.

Sorry Xeno but you are mistaken. I contacted a friend of mine who is an Lt. at Bragg. He is emailing this procedure to me when he has time. He is in Iraq as of now. I thought comming to CalGuns would help me find the answer sooner. There IS such a thing as dry fire zeroing and I am not confusing this will the "dime control" technique. The dime trick is an excellent procedure to help control trigger squeezing but my marksmanship fundamentals are perfectly honed. Positioning, aiming, breathing and trigger squeeze are the four fundamentals of marksmanship, got that part down. I even practice the "dime technique" sometimes in my living room on Sundays during halftime when the wife is not around and the Chargers are winning. Once I receive this information in email I will return here and post it. Dry fire zeroing DOES exist as it was used when I went to basic at Fort Sill Oklahoma. I don't intend on stepping on toes here, I know you are a veteran here at CalGuns. Thanks for your input though.

xenophobe
12-12-2006, 2:04 PM
Well, there was no such thing when I was at Ft Benning for Infantry training.

chiefcrash
12-12-2006, 2:10 PM
dry fire zeroing is basically this:

you know your iron sites are zeroed for a certain range (say 100 yards). you put the rifle in a secure bench rest with the iron sites aimed in to the center of a target. without moving the rifle (some sort of vice helps), you adjust your scope/laser/red dot/whatever to the center of the target. your scope/laser/red dot/whatever is now zeroed (in theory)

dry fire zeroing still requires you to have your iron sites zeroed...

at least, this is what *i* know as dry fire zeroing...

Fjold
12-12-2006, 3:09 PM
It ain't hard to find, type "dry fire zero" into Yahoo search.

I guess a squid had to pull the army along again. ;-)

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/EIB/EIB_Information/anpaq4-zeroing-techniques.shtml

Willy
12-12-2006, 6:47 PM
i believe thats a way to zero the paq4, unless I missed a paragraph somewhere. The only way I know to zero on "dry fire" is to zero you're MILES laser to your sight picture. To do that, you have to charge the rifle a couple times. (obviously that doesn't help you).
We have a boresight at my M day, the kind that you put in the end of a muzzle. Kind of a hassle to use.
The easiest way i know of to zero without shooting is to get a boresight that goes in the chamber, and it shoots a laser out that you adjust your sights to. They come in different calibers.
http://www.aimshot.com/boresight.php
This one is modular. Local shops should sell them. Of course, the only way to be sure is to fire it. Getting your sights in the right spot definately saves ammo.

boosterboy
12-12-2006, 6:56 PM
dry fire zeroing is basically this:

you know your iron sites are zeroed for a certain range (say 100 yards). you put the rifle in a secure bench rest with the iron sites aimed in to the center of a target. without moving the rifle (some sort of vice helps), you adjust your scope/laser/red dot/whatever to the center of the target. your scope/laser/red dot/whatever is now zeroed (in theory)

dry fire zeroing still requires you to have your iron sites zeroed...

at least, this is what *i* know as dry fire zeroing...

that sounds like co-witnessing.

NwG
12-12-2006, 8:48 PM
Other than a bolt gun where you can remove the bolt and look down the barrel or the use of some sort of laser bore sighter.... I see no way to "dry fire zero" a rifle..

How would you know your zero is correct? If no shots a reuired to zero the rifle, then why call if "dry fire" zero? Simply pulling the trigger on an empty chamber is going to do what?

Help me out here man... I am really lost....:confused:

bu-bye
12-12-2006, 9:22 PM
You can use the same technique on an AR15.

Remove the upper from the lower, remove the bolt carrier group and place it on sand bags. Peer down the bore and line it up with a target in the center of the bore. Adjust the cross hairs of the scope to center on the target without shifting the upper's position. Check that the bore is still centered on the target. Repeat as neccessary.

I've gotten it down to where I can get the first three rounds within 1/2 inch of the center ring on a five spot at 50 yds in one series.

GASP! He speaks:eek: ;)

+1 for what Ted said. I use this method all the time. It works well enough to get me on the paper on the first shot.

xenophobe
12-12-2006, 11:40 PM

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/EIB/EIB_Information/anpaq4-zeroing-techniques.shtml

Ah, no wonder I never heard of it. The AN/PAQ-4 and PEQ-2 were not issue items when I was in. So, there wasn't any such thing when I was in. ;) :p

sthornwall
12-13-2006, 8:39 AM

This is what I was looking for!! Thanks:D