PDA

View Full Version : tactical/ three gun chokes

Shrubmaster
05-30-2011, 8:33 PM
Looking to get into three gun, just wondering what you guys use. Seems like most guys are using carlson extended chokes. Any help is awesome.

BigDogatPlay
05-30-2011, 8:36 PM
Modified seems to be the choke of choice, at least from what I've seen.

POWG
05-30-2011, 10:52 PM
For several reasons I would venture to say that any "after market" choke will perform better than factory chokes. I am pleased to discuss why if anyone is interested but choose to pass on that one for now.

If I had to chose but one choke to use for everything - forever, it would be Light-Modified which is .015 constriction from the bore diameter of the gun.

In preparation for the Shooting Clinics by Target Solutions I'm presenting over the next 3 months, I made time today after a pistol session at Sac Valley Range for my first Tactical Shotgun experience; a Mossberg auto loader / Cylinder / with "Door Breach" feature ["weapon"] at end of 18.5" Barrel. I refer to this apparatus as a "manual - never fail taser". The Mossberg belongs to son, former law enforcement & now a "3 gunner" who incidentally, buys into my concept to forget sights & "stuff", deploy the gun in its stock format and learn to shoot it first!

Two rounds of "low-gun" skeet & could not quite manage to run a perfect score as I still expect of myself with any gun. Frustrating! As to be expected with its short barrel & relatively light weight - the Mossberg handled very, very quickly on moving targets ... similar to shooting a 26" SxS or O/U 28 Gauge. Ya gotta really, really, really slow down ["slow is smooth & smooth is fast"]; achieve visual "leading edge" target lock; move just like the target; "clean the gun mount" and take the shot at insertion. I found very little, if any margin for error. Precision on the mechanics & let it fly was the key and I had best results on the "more difficult" crossing targets @ stations 3, 4 & 5 ...which tells me that my focus and mechanics were best at these stations. We will be working hard on these principals in the Clinics and will also have a lot of multi-target transition drills for sure.

The Mossberg will be on the bench this week to utilize the adjustment shims for pitch adjustment only and also to eliminate the stupid curve on the toe of the recoil pad which impedes gun mount. I do like the gun ...but I still remain of the opinion that Benelli makes the best auto-loading shotgun, for any purpose.

All said, it was fun day - as shooting is supposed to be; and I also came away with a couple of ideas for the "HD/Tac" gunners that have signed up for the clinics.

Check out the posting for the Clinics in this site and also the training section. July 10th / 8:30 is full / 11:00 2 openings / 1:30 2 openings so we are 8 of 12 for 75% capacity. August 13th we are now @ 50% capacity with 2 openings in each time slot.

The mix between Field/Clay & HD/Tac right now is 40%/60%

These sessions will be fun and informative for all - guaranteed!

POWG is out.

immaculate
05-31-2011, 12:30 AM
I'd say that if you only buy one choke, make it a Light Modified (0.15 constriction) choke like POWG suggests.

I don't have any experience with the Carlson chokes, but i've run Briley extended chokes with great results

Shrubmaster
05-31-2011, 7:05 PM
Thanks for the intel. I'm somewhat of a student at this point with shot(hardcore slugshooter) so I've never messed with chokes or really know how to use them effectively. Watched a couple youtube vids for more info and I think that gave me a solid foundation to work with. I plan on shooting only 00 and high base 4/5 shot out to 20 yards so it looks like I need to go with lt mod or mod. I've got a remington tactical door breacher choke that's a "rem choke". Where does "rem choke" sit in the mix?

POWG
05-31-2011, 8:55 PM
I have not seen it but it sounds like an extended choke tube with some external muscle built for special duties. Without a customary choke designation you need to know the internal dimension of your barrel and also the choke. The difference between the two represents the constriction ...or degree of the choke. The "standard" is .005 constriction between choke designation. Example no choke = cylinder, .005 = Skeet, .010 = Imp. Cyl, .015 = L. Mod, .020 = Mod, .025 = Imp. Mod, .030 = L. Full, .035 = full & .040 xtra full.

It is my experience over the years in measuring bores & choke diameters of students guns that the "true/actual choke" vs the markings appearing on factory tubes varies widely; and by as much as .020 equating to 4 degrees of choke! This is why serious field & clay shooters invest in after market Choke Tubes, which really do increase pattern performance. They however do not overcome poor shooter performance, as no matter how much shot you put in the air, or how much or little you constrict it by chokes if ain't arriving at the correct time and location of the target ...it is a guaranteed miss!

Factory chokes are made to function safely with both lead and steel shot unless otherwise marked. This is one of the reasons for "loose tolerances" in factory tubes. A couple others are mass production, quality control & certainly user competency issues and lawyers if ya get my drift.

Measure what you have ...pattern your gun with the shot you plan to use and buy aftermarket chokes if you perceive the need. I have already stated my preference ...you are entitled to yours as well ...if your gun also likes it!

POWG is out.

BigDogatPlay
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the intel. I'm somewhat of a student at this point with shot(hardcore slugshooter) so I've never messed with chokes or really know how to use them effectively. Watched a couple youtube vids for more info and I think that gave me a solid foundation to work with. I plan on shooting only 00 and high base 4/5 shot out to 20 yards so it looks like I need to go with lt mod or mod. I've got a remington tactical door breacher choke that's a "rem choke". Where does "rem choke" sit in the mix?

Rem Choke is a trade name for Remington's pattern of choke tubes / threads.

The breecher you describe is done as Cylinder, if I remember correctly. Might be Improved Cylinder. That particular part is considered by some to be less than good, I've only tried them a couple of times and they patterned about how I would expect that type of choke to pattern. Other than the cosmetic appearance there isn't really a lot of value add (IMO) for the majority of us outside LEA and .mil for the breecher.

Look here (http://www.choketube.com/remington.html) for the a good selection of aftermarket choke tubes for Remington across a variety of uses. This is where I buy my choke tubes for all my guns, Remington or not.