PDA

View Full Version : M14/M1A gurus- I have some questions.

Lone_Gunman
05-30-2011, 9:28 PM
Tomorrow I pick up my new (to me) M1A Scout. I am told that this rifle was purchased new in 2007. It reportedly has less than 200 rounds down the pipe. My questions are:

How can I tell which, if any, parts are USGI?
Did SAI ever use USGI bolts or barrels in their Scouts?
If I want to replace a non-USGI bolt with either a USGI or an LRB bolt what do I need to do? Do I need to worry about headspacing?
What is bolt lapping?

Ultimately I would like to end up with a USGI bolt and barrel, a USGI or LRB op rod, and a Saldak piston.

Thanks for your help.

BigNick
05-30-2011, 10:46 PM
If it ain't broke dont fix it, if it breaks then upgrade it. I would shoot a couple hundred rounds before you go and buy all those expensive upgrades.

popeye4
05-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Tomorrow I pick up my new (to me) M1A Scout. I am told that this rifle was purchased new in 2007. It reportedly has less than 200 rounds down the pipe. My questions are:

If I want to replace a non-USGI bolt with either a USGI or an LRB bolt what do I need to do? Do I need to worry about headspacing?
What is bolt lapping?

Ultimately I would like to end up with a USGI bolt and barrel, a USGI or LRB op rod, and a Saldak piston.

Thanks for your help.

SAI used USGI bolts in their rifles many moons ago, not sure exactly when they switched over. If you replace the bolt, you need to check the headspace. The M14 is a beast on brass even when everything is within tolerances.

Bolt lapping is a process by which the bolt lugs are lapped into the receiver, so that both bolts have equal engagement. It is one of the many steps in turning a rack grade rifle into a competition gun.

If you have specific questions, a good place to go is http://m14forum.com/forums.php. Lots of very knowledgeable people there who live and breathe the M14.

Lone_Gunman
05-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the info Popeye. After some more research it seems SAI bolts are good to go, but I may upgrade to GI internals. It seems SAI never used GI barrels for their shorter barreled rifles. Duh, I should have been able to figure that one out. At the moment I'm just going to get the Saldak piston, upgrade the internals of the bolt and do my best to shoot the barrel out. :43:

SubSonicSOPMOD
05-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Smith enterprise has a great crazy horse upgrade if you can find a usgi fiberglass stock. they cryogenically stiffen it up. and there 18 inch crazy horse barrel is chambered for m118lr round so u can use heavier projectiles. The most common usgi stamping is TRW, usgi bolts are pretty expensive cause the stock is drying up 260-360$ This setup will keep the weight to a min, to squeeze accuracy and precision u need an aftermarket stock.

Lone_Gunman
05-31-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm not looking for precision. I'm going to be happy with 2-3 MOA. It's a battle rifle. As long as I can hit an 18 in target at 500 yards it'll be doing what I expect it to.

SubSonicSOPMOD
05-31-2011, 1:01 AM
No need for upgrades then, grease n shoot.

brando
05-31-2011, 1:17 AM
I'm not looking for precision. I'm going to be happy with 2-3 MOA. It's a battle rifle. As long as I can hit an 18 in target at 500 yards it'll be doing what I expect it to.

Finally, someone with reasonable expectations...you will enjoy it!

H2O MAN
05-31-2011, 5:52 AM

If I want to replace a non-USGI bolt ....

Thanks for your help.

Springfield Armory, Inc. did not install GI barrels on there Bush/Scout rifles.

Smith Enterprise, Inc. installed medium heavy 18.0" barrels on M14s for US military use... you can get one of the and have a GI bolt installed at the same time if you wish. SEI op rods and pistons are also used by the US military

That should not be a problem, but you may want to put the action in a tight fitting USGI synthetic stock or have it bedded in wood. My Scout would deliver 1.5 - 2 MOA with it's original barrel, it got better when I had the action bedded and got real tight after I put it in a SAGE EBR. I used nothing but Portuguese NATO surplus.

thai562
05-31-2011, 9:24 AM
2007 is too current. I believed SAI ran out of USGI parts long ago.
But I understand of wanting to have USGI parts in your rifle, I have been searching for USGI parts for year, although my SAI parts is not broken or fail yet or ever.
Good luck on the search.

spencerhut
05-31-2011, 11:30 AM
I abuse my Springfield M1A (Picked it up 6/6/06) on a regular basis and it's never failed me. The only problems I have had are magazine related.

popeye4
05-31-2011, 11:50 AM

The key word here is "grease". The M14 needs grease as a lubricant. Use oil as a corrosion inhibitor.

E Pluribus Unum
05-31-2011, 12:04 PM

^^ This

I bought my M1A in March of 2001 and the only USGI part I got was the front site. In 10 years of shooting this beast, she has performed flawlessly with commercial SAI parts. If all you expect is 2 MOA, there is absolutely no reason to replace anything until it breaks, if ever.