PDA

View Full Version : Rifle shooting techniques

sammy
05-30-2011, 8:37 PM
Hello all,

Offand accurate rifle shooting is proving more difficult than previously thought. A week ago I managed to keep 75% of my shots in a 12" target at 50 yards offhand. Today I kept all of them in the black with the exeption of one in a 12" group, shooting 80 rounds. After the next firing period I had 3 outside the black and 37 inside the 12" black. That is when I decided to leave well enough alone and go home.

What I am looking for is a book or two that can help me with my shooting. Checking Amazon their are a few that have decent ratings but don't focus on actual shooting, rather more with gear than technique. Newer shooters tend to focus on gear, which sells product but that is not what I am looking for.

Without good technique a shooter only feeds bad habits, but I am not sure where to look for direction. What I am asking is...... HELP!!!

Thanks, Sammy

RugerNo1
05-30-2011, 8:53 PM
I have not read any books on the matter, but see what David Tubb has to offer. He is the guru of off-hand shooting.

Also, USAMU tips (http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/USAMU/ShootingTips.htm)

rojocorsa
05-30-2011, 8:57 PM
Shooting is one of those things that you can read about all day, but if you want to get any good, you just gotta do it. IDK how to explain, but I do know that the more I'm out there shooting, the more I'm "getting it."

I don't read too much about it, but I do go and practice. In fact, I invested in a relatively nice .22 for this purpose.

RugerNo1
05-30-2011, 8:59 PM
Another suggestion to follow up rojocorsa. Find a club that shoots near you and go observe, voice your interest, and ask for help!

Most are more than happy to help.

RugerNo1
05-30-2011, 8:59 PM
*double post*

Stone
05-30-2011, 9:15 PM
I'm not an expert, but I say experiment and find what works best for you. Here's a couple youtube videos that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boWGHWYwjks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmc7-C0kV8

theturtlepond
05-30-2011, 9:31 PM
It also depends on the caliber. I wouldn't shoot a .308 like a .22 because it would hurt. It also depends on if you use a sling and if you use it in off-hand.

FeuerFrei
05-30-2011, 9:41 PM
Proper sling really helps with off-hand shooting.
Find one that actually works and maybe not so "cool". I use VTAC two point slings for this reason. You can really adjust it to help lock your rifle into your shoulder.
Nothing beats practice and a good rest between strings to settle down.
Did I mention practice? Lots of practice.

nrakid88
05-30-2011, 9:45 PM
Don't worry about off hand standing shooting too much. It is more for snap shooting when a dangerous game charges you.

If you have more time than that, you can drop to a military squat, a kneel, or go prone and be super accurate without trying.

Rarely will you be presented with a shot, yet the obstacles between you and the game animal require a standing offhand shot, think really tall grass/plants.

Read ''the art of the rifle'' by jeff cooper. Thats where I learned this.

jshoebot
05-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Read ''the art of the rifle'' by jeff cooper. Thats where I learned this.

+1 for "The Art of the Rifle" by Jeff Cooper. Excellent book.

Also, go to an Appleseed. They'll teach you better techniques for all positions including offhand. :thumbsup: