PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 500 reload issue

mnguyen84
05-30-2011, 8:05 PM
Sometimes when i pump the action to reload, the round will not chamber correctly, and instead, it falls out onto the ground. does anyone know why this happens, and how to fix or get around it?

BigDogatPlay
05-30-2011, 9:10 PM
So the round is dropping out of the loading port before the carrier can drop to accept it, correct? If so, I'd suspect the shell latches are releasing prematurely. The shell latches should not trigger until the carrier is down and ready to accept the shell.

Have you checked inside the loading port to see if the shell latches are loose?

The other suggestion might be that you are short stroking the action. If you run the action back gently, you could possibly get the shell latches to release without the carrier being down. The fix to that is to work the action like you mean it.... firm and strong, all the way back and then all the way forward.

mnguyen84
05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
thanx. i probably just need work the action harder. I have not had the opportunity to observe how they are falling out. I'm just out there shooting clay...when the shotgun goes click, and the round is somehow on the ground.

ChrisTKHarris
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Disassemble it and reassemble.

Milspec714
05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
I agree with BigDog you are surely not going to hurt or damage shotgun action if you rack it like you mean it. If that doesn't seem to work I am in Anaheim Hills and take a look at it for you...

Luieburger
05-31-2011, 2:32 PM
I've had this same problem before. The fix is definitely to rack the slide like you mean it. If you are really fast but don't rack the full length of the slide, sometimes the elevator doesn't pick up the shell.

You can also have this problem if you're just so darn fast that the elevator goes down and up before the shell can eject. To cure that I just stretch my magazine spring out (be very careful when you do that). Replacing or stretching your spring out will help to eject shells faster.