PDA

View Full Version : Shots keep going right

Moress
05-30-2011, 6:18 PM
Hello,

So I took my M1 rifle out today, and I was practicing for a high powered rifle competition in two weeks. Basically you shoot from standing, seated, and prone, so thats what I was practicing.

My standing and sitting was okay, I had a nice shotgun blast type spread in the center of the paper, but my prone was kind of odd. I had a very tight group of 6 shots to the right of dead center, about 7-8 inch's over. The other two landed in the black.

Anyway, I'm curious as to why my shots are going far right like that. I wanna say it's the way the rifle sits in my left hand thats pushing it to the right, but I can't be sure and I was hoping the guru's here could point me in the right direction.

Hopefully next weekend I'll go out with my .22 and practice the three positions for a few hours.

Thanks

9-12
05-30-2011, 6:57 PM
Hello,

So I took my M1 rifle out today, and I was practicing for a high powered rifle competition in two weeks. Basically you shoot from standing, seated, and prone, so thats what I was practicing.

My standing and sitting was okay, I had a nice shotgun blast type spread in the center of the paper, but my prone was kind of odd. I had a very tight group of 6 shots to the right of dead center, about 7-8 inch's over. The other two landed in the black.

Anyway, I'm curious as to why my shots are going far right like that. I wanna say it's the way the rifle sits in my left hand thats pushing it to the right, but I can't be sure and I was hoping the guru's here could point me in the right direction.

Hopefully next weekend I'll go out with my .22 and practice the three positions for a few hours.

ThanksAre you directly behind your rifle when shooting prone?

NYY
05-30-2011, 7:06 PM
dont know your answer. But i would practice "for a couple hours" with the rifle i would be using in the competition..

RugerNo1
05-30-2011, 7:08 PM
I found when shooting that I canted my rifle to the side when shooting positions with my WOA CMP AR. My groups would be either high right or low left. Once I figured that out my scores improved.

Interesting read: David Tubb on Rifle Canting (http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/)

Pthfndr
05-30-2011, 7:52 PM
Sounds like you just didn't have your NPA right.

I wanna say it's the way the rifle sits in my left hand thats pushing it to the right

Were you using a sling?

Was your left elbow under, or lose to being under the rifle, or was it way out to the left?

Pthfndr
05-30-2011, 7:54 PM
dont know your answer. But i would practice "for a couple hours" with the rifle i would be using in the competition..

Practicing with a .22 is an excellent way to work on positions, breathing and trigger control. Very common to do, and it costs less than 30-06.

Now dry firing with the rifle one will use, that's another thing entirely and definitely should be done a lot.

RugerNo1
05-30-2011, 7:56 PM
Sounds like you just didn't have your NPA right.

This too! Natural Point of Aim is very important!

NYY
05-30-2011, 8:52 PM
Practicing with a .22 is an excellent way to work on positions, breathing and trigger control. Very common to do, and it costs less than 30-06.

Now dry firing with the rifle one will use, that's another thing entirely and definitely should be done a lot.

oh, well i mean if we are talking stances and positions.. or just trigger control, then any rifle would work. But i meant actually firing it. Wouldnt one want to familiarize themselves with the recoil/entire function of the rifle that they will be competing with?

9-12
05-30-2011, 9:03 PM
oh, well i mean if we are talking stances and positions.. or just trigger control, then any rifle would work. But i meant actually firing it. Wouldnt one want to familiarize themselves with the recoil/entire function of the rifle that they will be competing with?No substitute for actual range time.

NYY
05-30-2011, 9:17 PM
No substitute for actual range time.

+1 :2guns:

Pthfndr
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM
oh, well i mean if we are talking stances and positions.. or just trigger control, then any rifle would work.

That's the hard part.

But i meant actually firing it. Wouldnt one want to familiarize themselves with the recoil/entire function of the rifle that they will be competing with?

This is the easy part.

Moress
05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
What do you mean "Natural Point of Aim?"

I had the sling wraped around my left elbow. It wasn't far off to the left, but it wasn't under the rifle 90 degrees to the floor either. I'd say it was about 80 degrees?

I'm gonna take out the .22 next weekend to just practice trigger control and shooting in those three positions. M1's are an expensive mistress. :)

Moress
05-30-2011, 11:54 PM
I found when shooting that I canted my rifle to the side when shooting positions with my WOA CMP AR. My groups would be either high right or low left. Once I figured that out my scores improved.

Interesting read: David Tubb on Rifle Canting (http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/)

Wow, really good read, I had no idea about this. I was actually canted the rifle slightly towards the right because the sling was kind of tight. I'll definately go out with the .22 next weekend and see if I can fix the problem.

Thansk for the help guys. :D

P.S. Don't tell Turo, but last rifle comp he kicked my *** by about 80 points, so in two weeks I'm gonna be ready for him. :43:

Turo
05-31-2011, 12:46 AM
P.S. Don't tell Turo, but last rifle comp he kicked my *** by about 80 points, so in two weeks I'm gonna be ready for him. :43:

GOTCHA!

Moress
05-31-2011, 1:52 AM
GOTCHA!

Crap, who told you where I was?! :TFH: