PDA

View Full Version : 700 sps tac vs 700 aac-sd

ssteve
05-30-2011, 2:42 PM
It's time to pick up a 700 here soon and is between the regular sps tactical and the aac-sd.... Both obviously in a .308. I will be doing some hunting with it as well as introducing myself to some longer distance shooting. 600-800yrds. The price difference for me is just shy of about $100, but I don't know if the advantage of the 1/10 twist vs the 1/12 could be worth the cost alone....? The option of a nice break being easily added is nice but I'm not real sure if a break would even have much of an effect on this particular rifle? From what I'm reading, there may also be a difference in the stocks. Any other advantages with the aac-sd vs the regular sps tac? Impressions either way would be much appreciated.

McCrown
05-30-2011, 2:50 PM
The aac and the tac are identical, the difference being that the aac has a threaded barell for a comp or suppressor (or you could put a thread protector on there and essentially have a tac).

Pryde
05-30-2011, 3:42 PM
I would get a 700P or an LTR if you can find one for a good price. The HS stock on it is worth at least $250 and is good enough IMO to keep until you want something really high end like a McMillan, AICS or Manners. The Houge stock on the SPS and AAC-SD is garbage.

A brake is also really helpful on a .308 FWIW.

slick_711
05-30-2011, 6:06 PM
I would get a 700P or an LTR if you can find one for a good price. The HS stock on it is worth at least $250 and is good enough IMO to keep until you want something really high end like a McMillan, AICS or Manners. The Houge stock on the SPS and AAC-SD is garbage.

A brake is also really helpful on a .308 FWIW.

+1

I've got an SPS Tactical and love it, great rifle. That said, the first thing I did was drop it into an HS Precision stock that a friend gave me a great deal on. Unless you get lucky with a hookup, it's worth paying the difference for the LTR or PSS to get the better stock. If you don't have the money or do want a specific stock, you can always get the SPS Tac and change the stock out later.

As to the difference between the SPS Tac and AAC-SPS, like McCrown said, the only difference is the color of the cheap Hogue stock and the threaded barrel. Threaded barrel is nice for a suppressor, but not necessary otherwise. A brake is nice on .308, but it's not necessary.

My suggestion would be to get an LTR and if you want later you can have the barrel threaded for ~$100.

EDIT: Maybe the rifling is different, I know it's the same between the .223 versions of the SPS TAC and AAC-SD, that's what I've got.

CK_32
05-30-2011, 6:09 PM
Difference is 1:10 instead of 1:12 and a threaded and unthreaded barrel. You can't get a supressor so go sps t

pyro3k2
05-30-2011, 6:33 PM
Difference is 1:10 instead of 1:12 and a threaded and unthreaded barrel. You can't get a supressor so go sps t

But you can replace the AAC mount with a muzzle brake which still leaves the R700aac in the game :)

McCrown
05-30-2011, 9:21 PM
Wow, so it looks like they changed the barrell on the tac. When I bought mine last year they had a 1:10 twist.