PDA

View Full Version : Jamming of AR

ooorah2111
12-11-2006, 9:28 PM
I have an AR with the prince50 mag kit. Some times when I load the rifle and pull the charging handle back to cock the rifle, the round gets jammed. What are some things I can do to prevent that from happening? And what can I do to fix the jam. Thanks.

Matt C
12-11-2006, 9:31 PM
How does the round get jammed? Should not be a double feed/fte if the chamber is empty. Perhaps if you can take a picture of the problem...

blkA4alb
12-11-2006, 9:34 PM
We need more info about what is happening to help you.

xenophobe
12-11-2006, 9:59 PM
What brand of magazine are you using?

Is the 'jam' happening when you pull the charging handle, or release it? The charging handle should be pulled as far back as it will go then let go. Let the bolt slam the cartridge into the chamber. If you ride the charging handle forward with a round, it may get stuck.

guimus
12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
(possibly stupid question, but best to make sure)
You lubed it, right?

ooorah2111
12-11-2006, 11:05 PM
What brand of magazine are you using?

Is the 'jam' happening when you pull the charging handle, or release it? The charging handle should be pulled as far back as it will go then let go. Let the bolt slam the cartridge into the chamber. If you ride the charging handle forward with a round, it may get stuck.

I am using the C-Products 10 rd magazine. When I pull the charging handle far back, it gets 'jammed' and the charging handle becomes loose. Do I need to pull the charging handle to a certain point (maybe 75% of the way?) and release it quickly to avoid the 'jam'? I always have to use a screwdriver or some tool to pull back the bolt to take the jammed round out.

ooorah2111
12-11-2006, 11:05 PM
(possibly stupid question, but best to make sure)
You lubed it, right?

Yes. ;)

azndmd
12-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Is the bolt stop/release getting in the way as the bolt is being pulled back with the charging handle?

I had a DPMS LPK with the bolt stop a bit out of spec. It would not allow an easy pull back of the charging handle. This would happen with an empty magazine.

A little dremel-work took care of it and now it operates smoothly.

ooorah2111
12-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Is the bolt stop/release getting in the way as the bolt is being pulled back with the charging handle?

I had a DPMS LPK with the bolt stop a bit out of spec. It would not allow an easy pull back of the charging handle. This would happen with an empty magazine.

A little dremel-work took care of it and now it operates smoothly.

Hm...nah the bolt stop/release doesn't get in the way. This only happens when I have a loaded magazine.

Satex
12-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I was having similar problems. Here is what I have learned:
1) Our rifles are new and the bolt carriers need to brake in. Keep it lubricated. I suggest you lubricate only before going out to the range so the lube wont attract gunk and cause jams.
2) The C-mags do load hard if they have 10 rounds in them. I keep my mags fully loaded all the time to help soften the springs. Most jams happen on round 1 or 2 when the spring is at its highest compression.

ooorah2111
12-12-2006, 1:23 PM
Am I supposed to be able to pull the charging handle ALL the way back with no problem??

Cpl_Peters
12-12-2006, 1:46 PM
all the way back then all the way forward. Get a bushmaster mag. I had feeding issues with other mags. my bushy works perfect.

ooorah2111
12-12-2006, 2:48 PM
So I am assuming it is just a magazine problem. Are there things I can do to improve my current magazine to avoid jamming? Like someone said, keep my magazine fully loaded to soften springs?

TACTICAL
12-12-2006, 3:02 PM
I had this happen once to my rifle. In my case I didn't let the bolt fly foward it kinda rolled off my fingers. I am useing a bushmaster mag. So my recommendation is pull it back and let it fly...

ooorah2111
12-12-2006, 4:12 PM
I just tried it with an unloaded mag, and when I pull the charging handle all the way back, the bolt gets stuck up there and the charging handle becomes loose. But when i pull it half way back, 75% of the way back, etc, its fine. :confused:

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 4:24 PM
I just tried it with an unloaded mag, and when I pull the charging handle all the way back, the bolt gets stuck up there and the charging handle becomes loose. But when i pull it half way back, 75% of the way back, etc, its fine. :confused:
Umm, yes. That is normal, you need to hit the bolt release on the left side of the receiver. When the bolt is locked back the charging handle should be loose.

blkA4alb
12-12-2006, 4:25 PM
Like someone said, keep my magazine fully loaded to soften springs?
Keeping the magazine loaded will not soften the spring. Only repeated use will weaken the spring over time.

ooorah2111
12-12-2006, 5:12 PM
Umm, yes. That is normal, you need to hit the bolt release on the left side of the receiver. When the bolt is locked back the charging handle should be loose.

Yes, I understand that. But when I try doing that with a loaded mag, it has the same problem and the round gets stuck. When I took the round out, it had a dent on the side also.

Tzvia
12-12-2006, 6:20 PM
If the dent was on the side of the case, that would be from the underside of the bolt carrier trying to pass over it after it has been pushed partially forward. The round cant press back down, since it has moved forward some. The bolt should push on the back of the round, strip it off the mag and then into the chamber. Are you sure when you pull the charging handle back, you are going all the way back, so the bolt is behind the top round when you let go? Can the bolt indeed go back all the way behind the round when you pull back?

Santa Cruz Armory
12-12-2006, 6:26 PM
Can you post pictures of the mag and the rifle? and maybe the bolt caught on the round?

Blue
12-12-2006, 6:35 PM
Rack it hard, and let it fly.

etruscan
12-12-2006, 6:41 PM
make sure that the rounds are back flush with the rear of the mag. since ya got a fixed mag set-up, you cant do the cool "tap-the-mag-on-the-helmet" thing.:D

ooorah2111
12-12-2006, 8:41 PM
If the dent was on the side of the case, that would be from the underside of the bolt carrier trying to pass over it after it has been pushed partially forward. The round cant press back down, since it has moved forward some. The bolt should push on the back of the round, strip it off the mag and then into the chamber. Are you sure when you pull the charging handle back, you are going all the way back, so the bolt is behind the top round when you let go? Can the bolt indeed go back all the way behind the round when you pull back?

The first time I loaded my rifle last weekend, I pulled the charging handle back all the way and released it. The bolt gets stuck half way, and the round gets all crooked. I tried it again, but this time I pulled the charging handle back 75% of the way and released it, and it worked fine. :confused: And I can't pull the bolt back after the round gets jammed because the charging handle gets loose. I always have to stick a screwdriver or something in there to push the bolt back. sigh..

xenophobe
12-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a mag problem to me. Try using a bushmaster mag and see if the same thing is happening.

Archenemy550
12-12-2006, 11:15 PM
easy solution.

The problem is you are not letting the bolt go with enough force to push it out of the mag and up the feed ramp into the chamber.

See the little button on the right hand side? =b
Hit the foward assist. Thats what I do when I get that, works every time. :)

ooorah2111
12-13-2006, 12:03 AM
easy solution.

The problem is you are not letting the bolt go with enough force to push it out of the mag and up the feed ramp into the chamber.

See the little button on the right hand side? =b
Hit the foward assist. Thats what I do when I get that, works every time. :)

Hm...so when the round gets jammed I just push the forward assist button? I tried that and it didn't seem to work.

nothing4u
12-13-2006, 5:41 AM
The forward assist only works when bolt carrier group didn't have enough force to fully chamber the round when the round is already in the chamber and the bolt carrier didn't have enough force to make the bolt rotate to engage the chamber lugs. Leave the mag empty, hold down the bolt release, and charge the bolt handle to see if it slams forward without any resistance. It's possible that the bolt catch and/or mag feed lips are causing it to drag.

grumpy562
12-13-2006, 6:26 AM
replace the mag, i had the same problem with my ar back in the days using cheap USA mags.

E__WOK
12-13-2006, 9:15 PM
With a name of oohrah 2111 how do you not know how to work an AR?

dw1784
12-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Sometimes a combination of tight/loose(quality issue on that so called "mil-spec" lower:D ) mag well, a brand of mag and the mag catch(the L piece) will cause the mag not to seat fully. If it's not seated correctly(ride higher for instance, with a particular brand of mag) the bolt catch is not lowered fully and causes bolt drag. Without seen it, it could be one or a combination of things. Heck, it might be as simple as a wrong spring in that bolt catch. Or post ur location and ask if a member nearby can help you. Good luck:)

kermit
12-14-2006, 5:00 AM
If you load only five or six rounds and the problem clears up, then it may be due to a new, stiff mag spring.

You could also try to reset the mag lock as it could be holding the mag slightly low and letting the bolt slide over the top round. With the fixed mags, you can't rap the bottom of the mag to make sure it's seated.

Otherwise, I'd agree that a new magazine may be needed.

Tzvia
12-14-2006, 6:12 PM
If he is using a C-Products mag, it is a much nicer mag than the Bushmaster IMO. (better follower for one thing). However, the springs were very stiff on mine (I have 4 of them). I downloaded them by 1 round at first and after being loaded a bunch of times, they work fine fully loaded.

You have tried it with only a few rounds loaded, yes?

Can you take a picture of the jam and post it here?

ooorah2111
12-14-2006, 7:43 PM
With a name of oohrah 2111 how do you not know how to work an AR?

Lol... it doesn't mean I am an automatic expert. I just know the basic stuff. Just because I am in the military, doesn't mean I know every single thing about the AR. So, do you know that the problem might be??

ooorah2111
12-14-2006, 7:46 PM
If he is using a C-Products mag, it is a much nicer mag than the Bushmaster IMO. (better follower for one thing). However, the springs were very stiff on mine (I have 4 of them). I downloaded them by 1 round at first and after being loaded a bunch of times, they work fine fully loaded.

You have tried it with only a few rounds loaded, yes?

Can you take a picture of the jam and post it here?

Yes, I only tried it with 5 rounds loaded. Ill try and take pictures of it.