PDA

View Full Version : New/Used Trap/Skeet Shotgun

calguns.001
05-30-2011, 1:55 PM
I'm in the market for a new or used trap and skeet shotgun, probably a 28-30", vent ribbed, choked. Any suggestions for one that's inexpensive and where it might be purchased around the Sacramento area? Was looking at Big5 (MOSSBERG 28" VENT RIB 12-GA. PUMP SHOTGUN COMBO $289), but know there must be others - perhaps even less expensive.

mike100
05-30-2011, 2:23 PM
I would buy a used gun in good condition...I used to be able to find like-new 870 Remington Wingmasters for $350..These days add $50 to $100 to that price. I wouldn't spend $300 on an entry level model when people have guns that sat in their closet for 25 years that are nearly identical to a $800 premium line new pump gun.

I shot one that had a full choked 30" bbl for a couple of years until I purchased my browning BT-99.

That Mossberg combo is a good gun to get though (and I prefer remingtons)- I wouldn't get one of the el-cheapo imports- of-the-month because the remington and mossberg barrels are way easier to find used.

bubbagump
05-30-2011, 4:46 PM
My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500. I shot trap, skeet, and sporting clays with that gun. I used a 28" vent rib modified choke barrel. With practice, doubles become easy.

I currently shoot a Remington 1100. I bought it used for 250. It came with a 26" vent rib skeet choke barrel. Shoots great. Doubles are a breeze now.

I would look for a used...

Browning A-5
Remington 1100
Remington 870
Winchester Model 12
Ithaca Model 37

A lot of those old guns have "plumbing" (poly-chokes) on the end of their barrels. Luckily...if you want to replace a barrel...you can find them used for cheap...

All you need is patience.

renardsubtil
05-31-2011, 8:24 AM
Try viewing the classifieds board at your local gun club. There's almost always a nice starter shotgun for sale on those boards and most owner will probably let you try the shotgun out before you buy it.