PDA

View Full Version : Russian or Yugo SKS???

MrKojack1
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
If you had to pick betwwen the two which one would you get? I hear that the Russian guns are a lot better quality. Is this true? I noticed theres like a $100 dollar price difference with the two. Shot a yugo last week and it was badass so I have to get my own.

Yugo
05-30-2011, 12:41 PM
yugo but really depends, yugo is bigger.

bwiese
05-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Russian SKS rifles have chrome-lined barrels.

Yugo Zastava M59 (or M59/66) carbines do not have chrome lined barrels.

DudeDoug2000
05-30-2011, 1:13 PM
I have a Yugo M59, So far I have not had an Issue with the non chrome lined barrel. I gave It a good Inspection before I bought It though to make sure It was not pitted and such. I want a Russian one but for now this one Is fine. I think you will be happy either way you go just take care of the Yugo and the non chrome won't be an Issue. I even fire corrosive, I just clean It everytime. Then again those Russians are sexy, Good luck man.

Edit to add: Quality wise besides the Russian ones having chrome lined barrels and In my opinion just looking a little better, There Isn't much of a difference. I belive the Yugo has a bit of a heavier barrel though.

Bottom line If your collecting them I would get a Russian If you just want one to shoot alot save the 100 bucks get a Yugo, Spend the other 100 bucks on ammo.

mls343
05-31-2011, 8:30 AM
For me, it would be the Russian.

JosephP
05-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Russian

morrcarr67
05-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Between those two I would chose the Russian.

If I just wanted one to shot and have fun with. I would get the Yugo. I can get them for $270 and can't even come close to that price for a Russian.

Milsurps
05-31-2011, 12:14 PM
I have both a Russian and a 59/66 Yugo. Which would I sell first ? The Yugo. Not because it's bad, the Russian is just nicer. ;)
YMMV

sammy
05-31-2011, 1:22 PM
Here are a couple good articles
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/sks/index.asp
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

I would go with the Russian just because the chrome lined barrel makes cleaning a snap. If you get the Yugo and are using corrosive ammo clean that puppy before you get it home.

Ronco
05-31-2011, 1:26 PM
Russian.

As stated above... chrome lined barrel.

Also, I think a little more collectable.

IEShooter
05-31-2011, 2:53 PM
I have a Yugo M59, So far I have not had an Issue with the non chrome lined barrel. I gave It a good Inspection before I bought It though to make sure It was not pitted and such. I want a Russian one but for now this one Is fine. I think you will be happy either way you go just take care of the Yugo and the non chrome won't be an Issue. I even fire corrosive, I just clean It everytime. Then again those Russians are sexy, Good luck man.

Edit to add: Quality wise besides the Russian ones having chrome lined barrels and In my opinion just looking a little better, There Isn't much of a difference. I belive the Yugo has a bit of a heavier barrel though.

Bottom line If your collecting them I would get a Russian If you just want one to shoot alot save the 100 bucks get a Yugo, Spend the other 100 bucks on ammo.

I have both and agree with everything he posted here.

The Yugo came first from Big-5's day after Thanksgiving sale. Just got a Russin model. The Russian is significantly lighter in weight.

Both are fun to shoot and a must for any collector.

MajorMalphunction
06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
What about a Norinco?

RealBarber
06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
when in doubt, go Russian

paul0660
06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Yugo 59/66 last, after Russian, Chinese, and the rest. There is the chrome thing but the gas valve is a when, not if, issue, imo.